Council Meeting 2nd March 2022 – Minutes

Council Meeting 2nd March 2022 – Minutes

2022-08-28T21:43:25+10:00August 28th, 2022|Categories: Council Meetings, Linux Australia|Tags: , , |

1. Meeting overview and key information

Present

  • Joel Addison (President)
  • Wil Brown (Vice-President)
  • Clinton Roy (Secretary)
  • Jonathan Woithe (Council)
  • Russell Stuart (Treasurer) (showed up just in time for the grants discussion)
  • Lilac Kapul (Council) (showed up at the Makerspace discussion)

Apologies

  • Neil Cox (Council)

Meeting opened at 20:08 AEDT by Joel and quorum was achieved.

Minutes taken by Clinton Roy

2. Log of correspondence

  • From Kathy Reid: Building a data trust for speech data from Linux Australia conferences – a plan, and an ask

On face value it appears to be a good concept, the danger is working out how much to spend to get legal advice that is useful without working on precedent. Will suggests crowd funding. Kathy mentions a few organisations going down this route, it might be useful communicating with them. Joel suggests it comes through the grant program, this will force a lot of questions to the fore.

ACTION ITEM: Secretary to respond, in principle the council supports the concept. Group should go through the grants to flesh out the proposal and provide more specific costings that the council can evaluate, in the fullness of time. Make it clear that the council is happy to communicate and discuss this further before the grant is proposed.

  • From Clinton Roy:  Google Cloud payment failure

ACTION ITEM: Clinton and Joel to investigate google cloud.

3. Items for discussion

  • 2022 Grants Program: Russell feels comfortable with having slightly lower budget for the grants program.

Motion: Jonathan moves a motion to open up the 2022 grants program to $20k.
Seconded: Joel
In favour: all
Abstain: none
Against: none
Motion has passed.

ACTION ITEM: Jonathan to go through the budget and make the grant funding changes.

4. Items for noting

  • Lilac suggests having official governance training for the council with AICD. Rough guess of $3000-$4000. Russell says this gets close to the limit of money we prefer to spend on overheads.  Lilac says that it is incumbent on LA to provide such training for the organisation to behave in a professional manner and not let things slip up. Joel doesn’t want to make a decision until there are full costings layed out. Russell thinks that LA being as open as we are, publishing all our financial records makes some of this moot. Russell suggests waiting for the outcome of the late filing before making any decisions. ACTION ITEM Lilac to send more details through to the list for more discussion next meeting.

Meeting closed at 20:54. Next meeting scheduled for 16 March 2022.

Join Linux Australia – Membership is free

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

Go to Top