Council Meeting October 11, 2023 – Miunutes

Council Meeting October 11, 2023 – Miunutes

2023-10-12T13:53:22+11:00October 11th, 2023|Categories: Council Meetings, Linux Australia|Tags: , , |

1. Meeting overview and key information


  • Joel Addison (President)
  • Wil Brown (Vice-President)
  • Sae Ra Germaine  (Council)
  • Russell Stuart (Treasurer)
  • Jonathan Woithe (Council)
  • Neill Cox (Secretary)



  • None received


Not present

  • Marcus Herstik (Council)


Meeting opened at 19:48 AEST by Joel and quorum was achieved.

Minutes taken by Jonathan and Neil.


2. Log of correspondence

  • 20 Sep – Enquiry from Matthew Sherborne querying whether there will be a LA conference in 2024 – Jonathan responded 21 Sep
  • 22 Sep – Fwd: [FOSS4G SoTM Oceania] Sponsorship update – Forwarded by Jonathan
  • 22 Sep – Fwd: Your account has been updated – Forwarded by Russell from Westpac
  • 1 Oct – Fwd: 2023 Pacific GIS and Remote Sensing User Conference Invitation and Sponsorship – Forwarded by Jonathan
  • 2 Oct – Why was I not accepted as a member – Originally from Lauryn Westwood, sent to Josh Hesketh, council cc’d into his response

Lauryn has now been approved as a member.

  • 7 Oct – Treasurer questions for Joel / Sae Ra – From Russell 
  • 9 Oct – Is it time to shut down the IWS LA Subcommittee? – From Russell, notifying IWS that the subcommittee has now been shut down.
  • 9 Oct – Lodge Linux Australia Activity Statement July..September 2023
  • 10 Oct – Change to auDA domain name rules – request to make submission under LA banner – from Kathy Reid
  • 11 Oct –  Your Job Listing has been approved. From Kirin van der Veer. 

Despite the subject his job listing has not appeared. Joel will approve it shortly.

  • 10 Oct – Announcing Everything Open 2024 and 2025 – Yay! (Note: the announcement went earlier, but this is the date the email to the council list was approved)


3. Items for discussion

  • FOSS4G SoTM Oceania: LA is entitled to a complimentary ticket as part of our sponsorship. Offer this to Andrew Ruthven since he’s in Auckland. Jonathan to follow up.
  • Pacific GIS: A brief discussion was held. The consensus was that there was little direct overlap with LA’s activities. Motion by Joel:

That LA sponsor 2023 Pacific GIS and Remote Sensing User Conference being held in Fiji.

Seconded by Sae Ra.
The motion failed, with 0 for, 4 against, 1 abstention.

Jonathan will communicate this to the Pacific GIS and Remote Sensing Council (PGRSC).

  • Treasurer questions: Russell wanted to know what the EO2024 Treasurer situation was. It was agreed that for now Russell is acting Treasurer, and in that role he will arrange payment of a venue invoice which is due soon. Russell will ask Rob’s partner (Tharyn) if they might be interested to take this on since they are an accountant.
  •  Change to auDA domain name rules – request to make submission under LA banner 

Kathy has got on to this promptly – auDA have only just released these changes. The consultation finishes on 30 October, which means there is one more council meeting before submissions are due. As a result the council will review the document suggested by Kathy before approving the submission. Joel will send Kathy an email to inform her of the plan.


4. Items for noting

  • With daylight saving (DLS) now active, LA Council meetings will be shifted 30 minutes later (20:00 UT+1100). This is to make it easier for members in Queensland, which doesn’t do DLS.


5. Other business

I (Neill) managed to confuse the timezones for this meeting, which is probably why we didn’t get many responses from the subcommittees.


  • Drupal subcommittee update

No update: Dave sent an apology. He will email an update tomorrow.


  • Admin team update

No update: Steve sent an apology.


  • Joomla subcommittee update

No response received to invitation.


  • PyCon AU subcommittee update

The PyCon AU team are unable to attend in person. Richard Jones has supplied this update:


  • Several venues in Melbourne have now been evaluated. The process continues.
  • No team leadership for 2024 has been chosen yet.
  • Still waiting to have the meeting with Joel to discuss changing the terms of the subcommittee.


  • Flounder subcommittee update

No response received to invitation.


  • LUV  subcommittee update

No response received to invitation.


  • WordPress subcommittee update

Wil indicated that there was nothing more to report. The next actions are expected in December 2023 when further event planning will be commenced.

Join Linux Australia – Membership is free

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

Go to Top