Council Agenda Thursday 15 February 2018
1. Meeting overview and key information
Kathy Reid, Russell Stuart, Hugh Blemings, James Polley, Cherie Ellis
Meeting opened by 19:34 AEST by Kathy Reid and quorum was achieved
Agenda summary – key items for discussion this agenda
2. Log of correspondence
Motions moved on list
- Beyond 2020 Alliance
- No further movement with Beyond 2020 Alliance
- WordCamp Sydney 2018 at UTS – Wil Brown seeking insurance certificates of currency
- Update 4th January – Wil has last 4 years Certificates of currency (for Insurance), waiting to hear back from UTS.
- Kathy has now requested a budget.
- ACTION: Kathy to ping and get a renewed budget
- ACTION: James to take on as Event Liaison for WordCamp Sydney.
- Blue Hackers
- Discussion around if we bring them into Linux Australia
- Was an OSDC offshoot
- MOTION by Russell Linux Australia intervene on behalf of Blue Hackers to get the money out of PayPal.
- Seconded by Kathy
- Motion Passed unanimously
- We should talk to Arjen about BlueHackers and what the next steps are. Do they want to be a subcommittee etc
- Arjen has indicated so that he is ready to setup a subcommittee.
ACTION: Russell to follow this up, still waiting for a response from Arjen
4. Items for discussion
- Standing item: review activities list for new items
(this document helps tell us what new activities to expect or plan for)
- ACTION: Kathy to conduct an induction for James and Cherie. Done
- Council Face to Face #1 to be held Weekend of the 13th of April 2018
- To be held in Melbourne. Brady Hotel, Little LaTrobe.
- Booked, hotel has everyone’s name on file so arrive and say your name.
- Arrive Friday, check out Sunday
- Carlee at Flight Centre has been notified of who needs travel planned
- Dietary requirements to be advised
- Running sheet and budget is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1twU-YU4l5NPXFickF-JVjBd9mknNa01d4DniPPLnk04/edit?usp=sharing
- ACTION: James, Cherie, Cameron, russell, Hugh to contact Carlee and arrange own travel
- Please input your flight arrival times and rough times you will need to leave to make your flight on the sunday.
- Include contact details and dietary requirements
- Agenda will be sent out closer to the event. Plans for the year ahead, key risks, budget, f2f specific discussions, long hair.
- Cherie and Russell to discuss Xero procedures after the meeting
- To be held in Melbourne. Brady Hotel, Little LaTrobe.
- Membership platform: on hold
- Scope of work document available, high level for now. Doc in Google drive
- AgileWare are the chosen provider with CIVI-CRM, work has not been signed off yet.
- Admin team can host on our own infrastructure, but managed by AgileWare for paid support.
- James and Cherie would prefer to look over documents before responding
- ACTION: Kathy to provide links to information to James & Cherie
- Someone must authorise the payment to Toby.
- Gradual replacement of logos. Keep a spreadsheet of all the stuffs that require changing. ACTION: Sae Ra & Cam to do this
- ACTION: Kathy to push the private repo of brand colour palettes etc.
Update: this is done. https://github.com/linuxaustralia/annual-report
- LA Grants Submissions:
- ACTION: CAMERON to think this through on how the submission process is to take place. Eg a second mailing list for community feedback.
- Initial announcement to come from the announce list.
- Working with WordCamps and WordPress user groups –
- Russell has told Dee of dates and times he is available. Waiting on Dee.
- Onboarding communication fail – trying again tomorrow night.
- Onboarding done. Bank account assigned, xero access granted, Dee is now using the system.
- OSI Membership
- Action is with Kathy to follow this up – at this stage I’ll wait until new Council is in place and then re-confirm desire to proceed with this.
- Not a priority. For next council.
- We can announce that we are becoming members of OSI.
- Kathy to do the paperworky things. ACTION: Kathy to do this. Yet to be completed.
- OSIA and LA Engagement
- [DETAILS REMOVED FROM PUBLIC MINUTES]
- Random thought from Kathy: do we need a section for which submissions and papers are in progress? Ie. auDA,copyright etc.
- Cherie agrees, ACTION: Sae Rae to create this new section
- EFA reachout – Kathy is videoconf’ing with Lyndsey Jackson from EFA on 16th Feb, update to be provided next meeting
- Opening of LCA2020 Bids
- Date has been confirmed – will be Friday/Saturday 9th, 10th March to allow the local business events bureau to be involved
- They’re going to pay for flights/accom; mechanics of this are TBD
- ACTION for new Council. Check which subcommittee is still running and which ones aren’t.
- ACTION: Cherie to complete the audit as to who is still active
- Still in progress, need to use common sense to retire old subcommittees, and can committee members check spreadsheet for errors or omissions
- ACTION: to formally create the Conference Support subcommittee
- James moves that we create a conference support subcommittee, lead by Cherie with James and Sae Ra, tasked with providing resources/support/documentation/processes available to conference teams to lessen the burden of running a conference
- Important to note that this should be making resources available to teams rather than providing directives that must be followed
- Seconded by Hugh Blemings
- Vote passed unanimously
- ACTION: information to be forwarded to Admin team with request for mailing list. Need 2 administrators, name of list and requirements
- Email from MARK WARKHOLM – DGR status for Linux Aus
- Kathy has looked for information and doesn’t think that LA is eligible for this status
- Hugh has also looked into this in the past. LA is a NFP and not a charity so unsuitable
- James has discussed with Mark who believes that we would qualify
- ACTION: Russell has looked into the requirements, and LA may qualify after all. Suggests we seek advice on wording and application.
- Event Updates:
- LCA2018 update (James)
- Invoices nearly closed off, 1 left to be finalised
- Survey to speakers has been sent out
- Survey for conference attendees not ready to be sent out, should be ready by next cttee meeting
- James to followup if test bodies are required for the Survey.
- Kathy would like to do a debrief with council and the lca2018 team. Prior to Ghosts. This is to be held Feb 24th.
- OUTSTANDING: storage unit not suitable, ACTION: James to research moving facilities and would like the budget line item of storage to be moved to LA budget as PyCon will be using the equipment. Currently costing $650/month new facility will be app $250/month. James to inventory stock.
- Russell agrees it should be paid by LA, however we should bring down costs
- ACTION: Kathy and Russell to research there is enough in the LA budget to cover storage costs.
ACTION: Has Kathy activated her fob yet?
- LCA2019 update
- Ghosts Weekend – 7-8 April
- List was sent to Council. Does this list look ok?
- Michael Davies is likely to be invited
- ACTION: Kathy to respond to lisa. James will need to talk to bruce and Joel Addison should be the 2020 contact.
- Council Liaison appointment
- Cherie has notified team she is the liaison
- Most venues are booked
- Team asking about Papers committee procedure
- Cherie wants to table a discussion on financials regarding equipment hire and purchase and also storage. This discussion to be closer to Ghosts.
- PyConAU 2018
- Council Liaison Appointment
- James to be this person. YAY JAMES!!! David to do a handover
- James has contacted team and will plan discussion timing
- Site Visit – Being organised
- WordPress Sydney May 2018
- Asked for budget
- Drupal South Canberra 2018
- On Hold
5. Items for noting
- Please refer to Action Items list for more items.
6. Other business
- Long-term conference strategy
- NZ Bank access.
- ACTION: Has Kathy activated her fob yet? Please find and activate.
7. In camera