Council Meeting Thursday 1st March 2018 – Minutes

Council Meeting Thursday 1st March 2018 – Minutes

2019-01-07T00:09:18+11:00March 1st, 2018|Categories: Council Meetings, Linux Australia|Tags: , , |

Council Minutes Thursday 01 March 2018

1. Meeting overview and key information


Kathy, Sae Ra, Cameron, James, Hugh, Cherie


Maybe a Russell

Meeting opened by 1935 AEST by Kathy Reid  and quorum was achieved

Agenda summary – key items for discussion this agenda

2. Log of correspondence

Motions moved on list


General correspondence

  • Central Repository of Presentation slides – email from
    • Suggestion that we put the slides on
    • LCA2018 went back and asked speakers for slide decks, and will be up on the mirror.
    • Not a strong case for us to pursue this? But lca2018 slides will be on the mirror, feel free to harvest.
  • Beyond 2020 Alliance
    • No further movement with Beyond 2020 Alliance
  • WordCamp Sydney 2018 at UTS – Wil Brown seeking insurance certificates of currency
    • ACTION: Kathy to ping and get a renewed budget
    • ACTION: James to take on as Event Liaison for WordCamp Sydney.
    • Moving down to events
  • Blue Hackers
    • ACTION: Russell to follow this up, still waiting for a response from Arjen
    • We are now waiting on Russell!

4. Items for discussion

  • Council Face to Face #1 to be held Weekend of the 13th of April 2018
    • To be held in Melbourne. Brady Hotel, Little LaTrobe Street (
      • Booked, hotel has everyone’s name on file so arrive and say your name.
      • Arrive Friday, check out Sunday
      • Carlee at Flight Centre has been notified of who needs travel planned
      • Dietary requirements to be advised – Bacon
    • Running sheet and budget is here:
      • ACTION: James, Cherie, Cameron, russell, Hugh to contact Carlee and arrange own travel
      • Please input your flight arrival times and rough times you will need to leave to make your flight on the sunday.
      • Include contact details and dietary requirements
    • Agenda will be sent out closer to the event. Plans for the year ahead, key risks, budget, f2f specific discussions, long hair.
    • Cherie and Russell to discuss Xero procedures after the meeting
  • Membership platform:  on hold
    • ACTION: Kathy to provide links to information to James & Cherie
    • BAD KATHY!
  • Rebranding:
    • Going to do a spreadsheet of all things to be rebranded
  • LA Grants Submissions:
    • ACTION: CAMERON  to think this through on how the submission process is to take place. Eg a second mailing list for community feedback.
    • Initial announcement to come from the announce list.
    • No action as yet.
  • Working with WordCamps and WordPress user groups
    • Dee and Dion have their bank accounts sorted and areas are now in Xero. YAY!


  • OSI Membership


    • Kathy to do the paperworky things. ACTION: Kathy to do this. Yet to be completed.
    • BAD KATHY!


  • OSIA and LA Engagement


      • Would LA like to put their signature to the document for Cameron Shorter.


  • Submissions/Papers in draft:


    • Nil
  • EFA reachout – Kathy is videoconf’ing with Lyndsey Jackson from EFA on 16th Feb, update to be provided next meeting
    • Challenge that EFA, is wondering what options EFA has with access to LA money.
      • Grants money is available. And what the process is around there.
      • Lyndsey to reach out to us regarding structure of their proposal.
      • LA isn’t opposed to the idea but would need to take it on a case by case basis.
      • The price of $100-$300 a year for organisational membership is what we generally pay for organisational memberships of other organisations
  • Opening of LCA2020 Bids
    • Date has been confirmed – will be Friday/Saturday 9th, 10th March to allow the local business events bureau to be involved
    • They’re going to pay for flights/accom; mechanics of this are TBD
    • Flights for James has been booked. The events bureau are paying for the flights. Josh and James should be arriving on the friday.


  • ACTION for new Council. Check which subcommittee is still running and which ones aren’t.
  • ACTION: Cherie to complete the audit as to who is still active



  • ACTION: to formally create the Conference Support subcommittee


    • James moves that we create a conference support subcommittee, lead by Cherie with James and Sae Ra, tasked with providing resources/support/documentation/processes available to conference teams to lessen the burden of running a conference
    • Important to note that this should be making resources available to  teams rather than providing directives that must be followed
    • James to
  • Seconded by Hugh Blemings
  • Vote passed unanimously
  • ACTION: information to be forwarded to Admin team with request for mailing list. Need 2 administrators, name of list and requirements


  • Current Website – Sae Ra


      • Sae Ra is Crazy.


  • Email from MARK WARKHOLM – DGR status for Linux Aus


    • ACTION: Russell has looked into the requirements, and LA may qualify after all. Suggests we seek advice on wording and application.
    • Not urgent


  • Event Updates:



  • LCA2018 update (James)


    • James to followup if test bodies are required for the Survey.
    • Kathy would like to do a debrief with council and the lca2018 team. Prior to Ghosts. This is to be held Feb 24th.
    • OUTSTANDING: storage unit not suitable, ACTION: James to research moving facilities and would like the budget line item of storage to be moved to LA budget as PyCon will be using the equipment. Currently costing $650/month new facility will be app $250/month.  James to inventory stock.
      • Russell agrees it should be paid by LA, however we should bring down costs
    • ACTION: Kathy and Russell to research there is enough in the LA budget to cover storage costs.
    • Almost have the finances finalised. But all seems to be wrapping up. Storage to move.

ACTION: Has Kathy activated her fob yet?

Sae Ra to talk to Kathy about this.


  • LCA2019 update


      • ACTION: Kathy to respond to lisa. James will need to talk to bruce and Joel Addison should be the 2020 contact.
      • Option number 2 please! 2020 conference director knows enough about the various aspects.
      • Cherie contacted LCA2019 re: 2020. Would need to check that accom is being booked for all that are going to ghosts.
      • ACTION: James to contact LCA2020 with Kathy and Carlee to book flights for LCA2020 rep
    • PyConAU 2018 – James Polley
      • Storage, venue things, etc.
      • They are further along with plans regarding papers. Trial this weekend. They are using for their CfP process.
      • They are trying to ramp up their team. Seem to be on top of things at this point.
      • ACTION: James to put in subcommittee names for PyConAU into the subcommittee list. cLaughlin
      • James to work with PyCon regarding storage and size of the storage units.


  • LCA2020


    • Site Visit – Being organised


  • WordPress Sydney May 2018



  • Drupal South Canberra 2018


    • ACTION: Kathy to reach out and find out what’s going on.

5. Items for noting




6. Other business

7. In camera

2027hrs close


Join Linux Australia – Membership is free

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

Go to Top