Council Meeting April 12th 2023 – Minutes

Council Meeting April 12th 2023 – Minutes

2023-04-12T20:11:48+10:00April 12th, 2023|Categories: Council Meetings, Linux Australia|Tags: , , |

1. Meeting overview and key information


  • Joel Addison (President)
  • Wil Brown (Vice-President)
  • Neill Cox (Secretary)
  • Russell Stuart (Treasurer)
  • Sae Ra Germaine  (Council)
  • Marcus Herstik (Council)
  • Jonathan Woithe (Council)




Not Present


Meeting opened at 19:41 AEDT by Joel Addison  and quorum was achieved.

Minutes taken by Neill Cox


2. Log of correspondence

  • Mike O’Connor – LCA/EverythingOpen even for 2024
    • We’ve been sent possible venues for EO/LCA in Adelaide. We need to respond with guidance on the budget proposal.
    • Venue cost is too high, catering also and projected numbers are too optimistic.
    • Sae Ra and Joel will contact Mike and suggest alterations. Russell will send an initial email.
    • Possibly we could run an information session for people considering a bid. A skeleton budget could also be provided once a recent actual one has been sanitised.
  • Australian Computer Museum Society Grant Proposal
    • They seem a good fit, but we need a bit more information. Jonathan will respond and ask for the proposal to be fleshed out a bit so we can be sure it does match our intended use of grants.
  • OSI Affiliate directors elections 2023
    • Voting has actually closed for this election.

3. Items for discussion

  • KiwiPycon(15-17 sept) is currently scheduled close to PyconAU (August)
    • Possibly we should get the two groups to discuss timing and its impact on the conferences.
    • Neill has volunteered to be the liaison between the LA council and PyConAu
    • KiwiPycon is not auspiced by LA, but having the conferences so close together may impact both conferences.

4. Items for noting

  • The grants programme is now open and has been announced on the mailing list.
    • Can we move the details of the grants programme to the public area of the website while leaving the application form in the logged in area. Jonathon will action this.
  • Wil is working on the community handbook and social media manager position description but is unlikely to finish either soon.
    • Draft versions are available for council members to review.

5. Other business

  • Next meeting is a subcommittee meeting, Joel will need to explain to Neill how to organise one.
  • Council will put out a call for conference bids ASAP. Joel and Sae Ra will put out a formal request by early next week (18th) as part of that we will propose an information session for teams considering a bid.
Join Linux Australia – Membership is free

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

Go to Top