Minutes of Council Meeting 05 November 2014

Wed, 2014-11-05 19:48 - 20:25

1. Meeting overview and key information

Present

Hugh Blemings, Christopher Neuguebauer, Josh Stewart, Francois Marier,
Kathy Reid (minutes)

Apologies

Joshua Hesketh, Sae Ra Germaine

Meeting opened by Hugh at 1948hrs and quorum was achieved

Key Stats

Membership stands at: 3197 members (3196 last fortnight)

Twitter followers stands at: 888 (878 last fortnight)

Review last minutes and move MOTION that they be accepted

MOTION by Christopher that last minutes are correct and accepted
SECONDED by Josh
CARRIED unanimously

2. Log of correspondence

Motions moved on list

MOTION by JOSHUA HESKETH to approve Steve Dalton's request for storing
OSDC videos on the LA mirror on the proviso that they are licensed CC-BY-SA.
SECONDED Christopher Neugebauer
CARRIED by a majority of Council on list

General correspondence

*

Notice from MR TERRY DAWSON, Public Officer, that Linux Australia
needs to lodge documents from the Office of Fair Trading NSW and are
in receipt of a letter.
ACTION: Kathy to work with Joshua on submitting this paperwork

*

Grant request from ALEX BAYLEY for Growstuff.org
Funding campaign on Indiegogo is at about $4.5k. Open Food Web are a
backer, whom we have previously funded. Noted that the project is an
open source project on GitHub. The license for the project is
AGPLv3, the data is Creative Commons SA licensed. We want to have a
chat to the Open Food Web representatives to gauge their support for
the project. General discussion around the amount of the grant
request and that our proposed grants budget for 2014-2015 is $5000.
UPDATE: Response received from KIRSTEN LARSEN from Open Food Web
which described the actions taken with the grant awarded to Open
Food Web in 2013. The grant had been used in line with what was
asked for - ie. developer time to develop the website. Open Food Web
are generally in support of this grant.
ACTION: Josh to discuss on linux-aus list
UPDATE: Over $AUD6,700 has been raised on Indiegogo
Council discussed the grant request, and noted our restrained
budget, the positive report from Open Food Web and the Indiegogo
campaign. Noted also was that while this initiative was not directly
in line with Linux Australia’s goals, that there was significant
overlap with open culture.

MOTION by KATHY REID that Linux Australia grant $500 to the
Growstuff.org site, being at the Individual Sponsor level, on the
proviso that this is acceptable to Growstuff.org, and that a link to
Linux Australia be present on the site for one year.

SECONDED by CHRISTOPHER NEUGEBAUER
CARRIED unanimously

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

*

ACTION: Francois to email linux-aus mailing list to notify of 2015
budget
UPDATE: In progress

*

ACTION: Joshua Hesketh to seek closure reports on closed events,
being DrupalGov, JoomlaDay Sydney, WordCampSydney
DEFERRED until Joshua returns

*

ACTION in progress with Admin team for 3 year spending plan for
hardware replacement

*

ACTION with Josh Hesketh to ensure 3 year server support package in
progress
Actions are in progress with Admin Team
UPDATE: Admin Team have a hackfest coming up soon and this can be
added to the agenda for the Admin Team to discuss. Generally in
progress.

*

Discussion of YouTube assets raised by KATHY REID based on
discussions with TIM ANSELL
ACTION: Josh Stewart to work through with Tim Ansell in due course
In progress, Josh has been working with LCA2015 team on this too.
Awaiting access to servers to continue, but generally in progress

*

ACTION: brand/logo policy needs to go on backburner

*

ACTION: We need to set up a VM to enable continuous delivery for
conferences.
ACTION: Joshua to discuss with LCA2016 process for managing ZooKeepr
UPDATE: In progress with admin team. LCA2016 are aware.

*

ACTION: Kathy to use @linuxaustralia account to retweet @linuxconfau
announcements
UPDATE: In progress

4. Items for discussion

1.

LCA2015 update
Registrations going very well
Treasurer now has access for payment

2.

LCA2016 update
Promotional items in progress
Site negotiations in progress

3.

LCA2017 update
Site visits in planning

4.

PyCon AU update
RECEIVED wrap up of financials from Russell Stuart with thanks
ACTION: Christopher to catch up with them in due course

5.

Drupal South
In progress

6.

Drupal Gov
Has closed, to wrap up bits and pieces

7.

JoomlaDay Sydney
Has closed, to wrap up bits and pieces

8.

DrupalCampSydney
Has closed, to wrap up bits and pieces

9.

WordCampSydney
Has closed, to wrap up bits and pieces

5. Items for noting

*

Election discussion
Council discussed the upcoming election and determined that the
process should initiate on Wednesday 19th November, allowing
adequate time for both nominations and voting.

ACTION: Kathy to work with Joshua Hesketh to set up election in
MemberDB, ready to activate on Wednesday 19th.

6. Other business

*

Rusty Wrench award 2015
ACTION: Hugh to reach out to the past recipients to identify what
actions are required.
ACTION COMPLETE

*

Do we still need a Risk Register? Should we put some focus on it?
ACTION: Kathy to update Risk Register and bring back to Council for
review
No update since last meeting

*

Noting that elections for the Council 2015 are likely to open in the
next 10 weeks or so, Council were encouraged to give thought to
their intentions for standing for Council next year to ensure a
smooth transition for Council 2015, for discussion at next
fortnight’s teleconference (24 September)

ACTION: Timeline for elections to be considered in October. Kathy to
ensure this is placed on agenda in early October for discussion. To
note that Clause (15)(6) of the Linux Australia Constitution states;

(6) The ballot for the election of office-bearers and ordinary committee
members of the committee is to be conducted no more than 60 days before
an annual general meeting or at the annual general meeting in such usual
and proper manner as the committee may direct.

ACTION: Configuration of election in MemberDB to be undertaken - Joshua
Hesketh

ACTION: Kathy to undertake communication of election in line with
constitution

ACTION: Christopher to merged the pull request into the DebConf policy
on the GitHub repo
Action complete

*

Financial year closed

ACTION: Francois and Joshua to tidy up accounts, in particular
DrupalSouth Wellington to allow books to be closed.
IN PROGRESS - the accounts are close to being closed off for 2013/2014 year
Action complete

ACTION: Francois to note LCA2015 expense note and action as appropriate
IN PROGRESS - finalisation expected this week
Action complete

ACTION: Francois to work with Auditor to sign off 2013/2014 accounts

TO NOTE: Office Bearers to start thinking about Office Bearer reports
for the AGM

7. In camera

Three items were discussed in camera.

Meeting closed at 2025hrs