Council Meeting November 22, 2023 – Minutes

Council Meeting November 22, 2023 – Minutes

2023-11-23T10:41:17+11:00November 22nd, 2023|Categories: Council Meetings, Linux Australia|Tags: , , |

1. Meeting overview and key information


  • Joel Addison (President)
  • Wil Brown (Vice-President)
  • Sae Ra Germaine  (Council)
  • Russell Stuart (Treasurer)
  • Jonathan Woithe (Council)
  • Neill Cox (Secretary)
  • Marcus Herstik (Council)



  • None received


Not present


Meeting opened at 20:32 AEST by Joel and quorum was achieved.

Minutes taken by Neill.


2. Log of correspondence

  • To Russell Coker: Report for Linux Australia grant: Pinephone development

No response yet.


  • To Elena Williams: Report for Linux Australia grant: Girls Canberra #1

Elena has responded and will send in a report.


  • ASIC: Successful renewal: OPEN SOURCE AUSTRALIA
  • Michael Richardson Re:  Stripe Deposits – Russell responded
  • To Russell Coker: Pinephone activity talk submission for EO2024 – Russell promised a submission by 11 Nov
  • Katie McLaughlin Re: Intent to establish Independent Subcommittee for PyCon AU – latest response from Jonathan informing PyCon AU of the motion passed at the last council meeting. We’re now waiting on budgets.
  • Enquiry from Alex Simmons via the Linux Australia Website Contact Form – Jonathan has responded with the EO dates.
  • Drupal South: Payment approval request – Russell has responded and Michael has sorted out his identification issues with Westpac
  • Enquiry from Cornelius du Preez via the Linux Australia Website Contact Form – Wil has responded indicating that the account has been deleted as requested.
  • EO2024 CFP on lwn
  • Enquiry from Lauryn Westwood via the Linux Australia Website Contact Form – Jonathan has responded. Back with Lauryn now. She seems to have had some problems with password reset emails, but Jonathan hasn’t heard back after the last attempt to help.


We may have an issue with the contact form, as emails don’t seem to be reliably received. Sae Ra and Steve will check the server logs for problems, but the last four inquiries have been received.


3. Items for discussion

  • Canberra Linux Kernel conference – Russell was invited to attend tonight’s meeting, and was able to attend.

We had a general discussion about the logistics and funding of running an LA auspiced conference.


We can offer support with registration systems, websites, payments and insurance. The usual way of doing this is to form a subcommittee for running the conference and running a financial induction to provide access to Xero and a bank account.


Russell suggested a date later in the year after Everything Open. LA would like a date that does not conflict with other conferences Drupal South  (March),  EverythingOpen (April),  PyCon AU (November) and  Word Camp Sydney (November)


There is a surprisingly large community of kernel developers in Canberra between a number of employers and even government agencies. A Canberra focused event should be able to draw around 50 people, a larger event would be possible if not locally focused, but would be more expensive and complicated to run.


Starting with a smaller event seems like a good idea, and then build up if successful.


The event would be a single day affair for the first one at least.


Still brainstorming names – no decision yet.


Next steps are to find at least one more person on the organising team. Apart from anything else this will make payments/bank account access easier.


Joel will share a sample budget with Russell, which will probably be overkill but at least a good starting point.


Russell will send through a proposal soon.


  • We will aim to hold the AGM on 20 Jan 2024. Election dates will be calculated accordingly.

4. Items for noting

  • Sae Ra and Kathy Reid will be running a session on Sunday to help with writing Everything  Open proposals.

5. Other business

Join Linux Australia – Membership is free

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

Go to Top