Council Meeting Thursday 2nd August 2018 – Minutes

Council Meeting Thursday 2nd August 2018 – Minutes

2019-01-07T03:33:23+11:00August 2nd, 2018|Categories: Council Meetings, Linux Australia|Tags: , , |

Council Agenda Thursday 02 August 2018

1. Meeting overview and key information

Present

Cameron, James, Cherie, Russell, Kathy

Apologies:

Sae Ra Germaine, Hugh Blemings

Meeting opened at 19:30 AEST  by Kathy and quorum was achieved

Agenda summary – key items for discussion this agenda

2. Log of correspondence

Motions moved on list

  • N/A

General correspondence and items for noting

  • auDA SGM – 27th July 2018.
    • Small group of demand class (IP domain name users, as opposed to supply class who are the registrar’s) asked for 3 directors to resign.
  • Blue Hackers
    • ACTION: Russell to follow this up, still waiting for a response from Arjen
    • We are now waiting on Russell!
    • Still Pending.
  • Aptira partnering with Linux Foundation for OpenStack / Open Networking roadshow and series of one-day conferences
    • Completed. – Leaving on the Agenda
    • James mentioned they scheduled a day conference that was subsequently cancelled.
    • SLUG moving their DNS off LA (slug.org.au)
      • SLUG domain renewal was paid for today

 

  • ACTION: Sae Ra, ask admin for list of domains that we own/manage.

 

      • Done?

4. Items for discussion

  • Council Face to Face #1 Follow-up
    • Check in with non event committees to get their current status (Cherie)
      • BAD CHERIE
    • Can we OAuth from CiviCRM (Kathy)
      • BAD KATHY
    • Privacy Policy (Draft: Kathy, Proofing: Cameron)
      • BAD KATHY
    • Make a list of HackerSpaces for the website (Cameron)
    • Everyone to copy and paste their action items into the agenda.
      • BAD EVERYONE
    • Code of conduct: there are several pull requests outstanding / requiring discussion on the Code of Conduct on GitHub. For discussion / rejection / acceptance.
      • Cherie has found and proposed a less wordy alternative for 12 and 30; accepted another noncontroversial change, and will work on a few more. Kathy to provide some git assistance as needed.
    • Insurance: Certificate of Currency has been received.
      • Cherie to tweak some of the wording about covered events

 

  • To report: insurance chap has email to amend insurance cover (remove GovHack), and is trying to amend travel cover to replace the word ’employee’ to ‘volunteer’ which will remove the requirement for lists of names.

 

  • Travel insurance. Review quote and Cherie’s recommendations.
    • MOTION BY Cherie: That Linux Australia Accepts and authorises payment for the travel insurance quote from Gallagher Insurance
      • Seconded: Cameron.
      • Motion passed unanimously
Cyber-insurance is an insurance product used to protect businesses and individual users from Internet-based risks, and more generally from risks relating to information technology infrastructure and activities. Risks of this nature are typically excluded from traditional commercial general liability policies or at least are not specifically defined in traditional insurance products. Coverage provided by cyber-insurance policies may include first-party coverage against losses such as data destruction, extortion, theft, hacking, and denial of service attacks; liability coverage indemnifying companies for losses to others caused, for example, by errors and omissions, failure to safeguard data, or defamation; and other benefits including regular security-audit, post-incident public relations and investigative expenses, and criminal reward funds.
  • ACTIONS:
    • Cherie to continue to investigate
    • Everyone else to think about worst cases and what risk we might be able to tolerate
  • Membership platform:
    • Discussion with Agileware has resulted in a much reduced quote on the voting module – around $12-15k
      • This reduces our ability to request changes and alterations and may result in some reduced testing
      • All up about 3 weeks worth of work
    • Kathy proposes moving forward with this now as we have quotes that fall within the budget we have allocated
    • RS gets clarification that we (admin-team) will set up the system and install wordpress; AgileWare will install and configure civicrm on top, then develop the voting module to our spec.
    • In total the new budget comes to around $5k more than we had budgeted for this; but we can make up the shortfall from our Prof. Services. Budget.
    • ACTION: Kathy to run the plan past Steve for one last check before we go ahead.
    • Steve’s only concern was testing because the elections are opened in November.
    • People have been assigned, and work has started.
    • First installment due now, about $20K to be paid now.
    • LA Grants Submissions:
      See related document (Grant information)
      See related information (Grant Applications)

      • For Noting:
        • GC TechSpace approached council to ask about a grant request
        • RUSSELL to approach GC TechSpace to get some more details
          • Partially done.  Clinton knows nothing about them.  David (requester) emailed. Russell to chase up reply.
          • No response to chase up.  Russell suggests we drop this until we get a response.
      • Grant applications to be promoted this to go onto social media
      • Grant reviews to occur next meeting
        • MOTION template: Please not that these motions to not have to pass and even if you call the motion you do not have to vote in favour.
          • MOTION BY <INSERT NAME HERE> That Linux Australia Accepts the Grant Proposal <insert proposal name here> submitted by <insert person name here>
            • Seconded:
            • Motion passed/unsuccessful
            • If there are constraints to the motion passing (eg change in conditions, amount of $$ given, caveats, requirements for reporting) note this here otherwise remove.
      • 0 Grant Submissions to review

 

  • KATHY to tally up the currently allocated budget and look at what’s remaining.

 

          • Spreadsheet has been updated to calculate what $15K that has been requested, how much was given out and how much is left.
          • >>$15K left in budget.
        • EFA will be putting in a grant
          • Grant was awarded to Australian Internet Community Planning – Proposal for Linux Australia support proposal.
          • We don’t know the amount yet.
        • Grant request received from Steven Ellis titled New Zealand Open Source Society Grant Request.
          • Has been put to the list.
  • Working with WordCamps and WordPress user groups

 

  • LinuxSA Questions (Web-Site / DNS Hosting), dated 2018-06-11 21:18

 

    • Kathy to pass onto Admin Team.

 

  • OSI Membership

 

    • OSI have voted us in
      • ACTION: Kathy to check where this is at. We are waiting for their communications.

 

  • OSIA and LA Engagement

 

    • JAMES went to a board meeting on the weekend and talked a lot
    • We might be seeing some more engagement from OSIA members on our mailing lists.
    • They are likely to be doing a Roadshow in August and will likely reach out to offer LA members to attend.
    • 1st roadshow is 8 days away, still no venue.

 

  • Submissions/Papers in draft:

 

    • None at this stage.
  • EFA reachout
    • Peter Tonoli at EFA made some enquiries about a possible grant request, but nothing has been received yet.
      • Working on a grant request but not linked to EFA.
    • Brochure has been sent to the group.
    • Kath has not had a chance to catch up with EFA reps yet.

 

  • ACTION for new Council. Check which subcommittee is still running and which ones aren’t.
  • ACTION: Cherie to complete the audit as to who is still active

 

 

  • ACTION: to formally create the Conference Support subcommittee

 

    • Terms of Reference?
      • ACTION: James to bring this up at the next Conference support subcommittee meeting.
        • To then be sent to Sae Ra for sanity checking and then sent to Admin
      • No updates as yet.

 

  • Email from MARK WARKOLM – DGR status for Linux Aus

 

    • ACTION: Russell has looked into the requirements, and LA may qualify after all. Suggests we seek advice on wording and application.
    • No updates as yet.

 

  • Event Updates:

 

 

  • LCA2018 update (James)

 

    • Post Event Email still not sent out. Bruce/James chatted today about this; we have a draft that’s mostly written.
    • Post Event Report – can we get template?
    • Survey will not be sent out and seeking feedback via the post event email.
    • Joel has <=3 outstanding things that require payment.

 

  • LCA2019

 

      • Discussion regarding bringing in Cory Doctorow as keynote. Total <NZ$30k. Stephen has asked whether LA would help towards funding.
      • CFP close to going live (target is first weekend in July)
      • ACTION: Cherie to phone Steven and discuss options
      • Kath to offer assistance for promotion of CFP.
      • Cherie to touch base with Steven.
    • Internet Freedom Hackathon

 

  • Run in Melbourne and Brisbane. Got some shout outs. Invoice has been paid
  • ACTION: Kathy to continue followup the invoice. With Wrapup for the annual report for 2018.
  • Invoice has been paid. Start a 2018 report folder.

 

  • PyConAU 2018 – James Polley
    • 60 papers in CFP so far
    • Because of good sponsorship the conference is now at the break even point at 75% of projected attendance.
    • Record number of submissions
    • Some issues with venue re: budget for AV and wifi.
    • Team is *very* short at the moment.
    • Registrations are currently sitting at 50%.
    • Registrations are looking to hit 75%.

 

  • LCA2020

 

    • Team has been officially notified they are the winning bid.
    • It is looking like core Team member Clinton will be moving to Melbourne for work.

 

  • WordPress Sydney May 2018

 

      • CFP going well. Following up with some speakers, some have already been invited.
      • Close to break even.
      • WCCentral has capped ticket prices at $55; as a result the budget is currently tracking around the medium scenario and so still looking for a few more sponsors.
      • Ticket sales go live any time now – watch the socials.
      • Kath to do an announcement to Linux-Aus on this event.
      • Looks like they will make around $6K profit, without the $11pp LA tax.

 

  • Drupal South Canberra 2018

 

    • Kathy to arrange OnBoarding with Russell and get bank accounts opening
    • Waiting on treasurer (Owen) to come back to Australia (July 23rd).
    • The CFP is now open.  Kathy to promote through social media.
  • WordCamp Brisbane 2018
    • MOTION BY Kath Reid that Linux Australia accepts WordCamp 2018’s conference proposal, and they be invited to form a subcommittee.
      • Seconded: Sae Ra.
      • Motion passed.  All present voted in favour.
    • Kathy to notify WordCamp directors of the outcome of the vote.
  • WordCamp Melbourne is looking possible
  • JoomlaDay Brisbane 2019
    • Proposal has been received from Carly Willats.
    • Kath has asked for a budget.  Next step happens after budget is received.
    • Questions re budget:
      • Budget predicts a 50% increase in sponsorship over 2017
      • Attendance up 200% over 2017.
      • Venue @ $10K for 70 people for 2 days looks expensive.
      • Buuuutttt … 2017 wasn’t run in Brisbane, and I don’t have Brisbane’s figures.
    • Russell to contact Carly to get clarification.

5. Items for noting

 

  • auIGF:

 

6. Other business

  • Data-breach policy:
  • Admin Team infrastructure.
    • Sae Ra to organise the call –
      • Once Terms of Reference has been written up for the Conf Team we can proceed.
  • Outstanding GitHub pull requests. Cherie’s recommendations:
    • See above
  • Apr-June BAS, Done!

7. Backburner

8. In camera

XXXX close

 

 

Join Linux Australia – Membership is free