Council Meeting May 10th 2023 – Minutes

Council Meeting May 10th 2023 – Minutes

2023-05-10T20:40:57+10:00May 10th, 2023|Categories: Council Meetings, Linux Australia|Tags: , , |

1. Meeting overview and key information


  • Joel Addison (President)
  • Wil Brown (Vice-President)
  • Russell Stuart (Treasurer)
  • Sae Ra Germaine  (Council)
  • Marcus Herstik (Council)
  • Jonathan Woithe (Council)



  • Neill Cox (Secretary)


Not Present


Meeting opened at 19:33 AEST by Joel and quorum was achieved.

Minutes taken by Wil Brown


2. Log of correspondence

  • 05/03/2023: DrupalSouth Wellington Sponsor Invoicing
  • 05/05/2023: PyConAU Subcommittee report
  • 08/05/2023: Gladstone Regional Council expression of interest for Everything Open 2024
  • 08/05/2023: Hong Phuc Dang from the FOSSASIA community requested to catch up with LA council members
  • 08/05/2023: Mike O’Connor expression of interest for Everything Open 2024 at Adelaide Convention Centre
  • 09/05/2023: Glenda Farrar request for Everything Open 2024 bid document.


3. Items for discussion

  • PyConAU Subcommittee Report
    • Not doing so well as per budget – adjusting to the lack of current demand.
    • Possibly struggling to get speaking slots – get some clarification on speaker submissions.
  • Hong Phuc Dang from the FOSSASIA community
    • Action: Wil – respond and offer a Zoom catchup.
  • Everything Open 2024 – expression of interests/bids
    • We have 2 expressions of interest: 
      • Adelaide – need to see a revised costing: Dates: possibly end of Jan/start of Feb
      • Gladstone – putting together some quotes for a bid. Dates: possibly early to mid-year.
      • LA – ensure both bidding parties are aware of each other. Action: Joel
    • LA to put together a bid document template for EO/type conferences. Action: Sae Ra & Joel.
  • Grant applications have been posted on the list
    • Waiting for community feedback.
    • Closing date next week – report back at the next council meeting.
    • Council to ask some clarifying questions. Action: Jonathan
      • Clarification of community inclusion and benefits
      • Technical goals for the project

4. Items for noting

  • Fastmail update
    • Steve, Sae Ra, and Nicola to meet next week with Fastmail to see what options they have to host mail servers.
    • Mailing lists system is probably not in scope.
    • Looking for better mail system stability and better spam filtering.
    • LA to complete a needs analysis, pros/cons of staying and moving away from internal mail system hosting.

5. Other business

  • Everything Open bids
    • Given the 2 bids, if both are feasible could offer one the 2025 slot.
    • Depends on if PyconAU holds a conf in Adelaide in 2025 – may push EO Adelaide bid out to the following year.
  • Mailing lists general discussion on usage: 
    • Re: grants and community feedback
    • Mailing lists don’t have a large volume of traffic
    • What alternatives are people using?
    • Possibly look at LA’s communication tech stack at a future date
Join Linux Australia – Membership is free

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

Go to Top