From Wiki

Main: MedicalCare

Infectious illnesses

If you catch something highly transmissible (eg, gastrointestinal illnesses) during the conference, please do not attend the conference that day and give the organisers a heads up. has had major problems with outbreaks of gastrointestinal problems before.


For emergencies requiring immediate medical attention or for a crime in progress or similar (not trivial stuff), you can contact fire, police and ambulance operators as follows:

I need an ambulance

Ambulance service in Tasmania is free. Call 000.

Non-emergency medical care

If you find yourself in need of some medical attention while you're in Hobart there are lots of options around Sandy Bay and Hobart generally.

I need to see a general practitioner (primary care doctor)

The Uni Doctors are located on campus in the University Union building: Phone (03) 6226 2102

City Doctors are affiliated with Uni Doctors, are usually OK to turn up without an appointment, and located (oddly enough) in the city, 93 Collins St: (03) 6231 3003

If you can't get into either is a list of many other general practitioners; look for the ones in Sandy Bay and the city. Note not all GPs are interested in taking new patients.

It's after hours and I need to see a GP

The After Hours Doctor is an emergency clinic located at 252 Main Road, Derwent Park, not far from Hobart (about 15 minutes in a cab), open only on weeknights, weekends and public holidays. You can rock up without an appointment, but you can call them on (03) 6274 4250.

I need to go to hospital

The nearest public hospital is the Royal Hobart Hospital at 48 Liverpool St in Hobart (03) 6222 8308 (switchboard)

Retrieved from
Page last modified on January 13, 2009, at 08:51 AM