* Supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
* Innovative and collaborative workplace with fantastic flexibility
* Join CSIRO – Australia’s premier research organisation
The Pawsey Supercomputing Centre situated in Perth, Western Australia is a national world-class supercomputing and high volume data storage facility operating petascale compute and associated storage infrastructure. The Pawsey Supercomputing Centre represents an AU$80 million investment by the Australian Federal Government, and is an unincorporated joint venture of the CSIRO, Curtin University, Murdoch University and the University of Western Australia (core members), and Edith Cowan University (associate founding member), supported by funding from the Western Australian and Federal government. As lead agent for the Pawsey Supercomputing Centre, CSIRO employs Pawsey Supercomputing Centre staff.
Pawsey’s Platforms Team is responsible for maintaining the infrastructure to fulfil the computing needs of the Australian research community and to engage with that community to make best use of the infrastructure including services that are operated on that infrastructure.
The incumbent, as part of this highly skilled team of professional specialists and system administrators, will ensure that Pawsey’s object storage and cloud services meet the relevant service expectations. Pawsey operates one of the largest object storage systems for research purposes in the world, built upon Ceph storage infrastructure.
CSIRO offers flexible work arrangements. This role can be full time or part time and we can accommodate different start and finish times across the team. For more details on CSIRO’s “Balance” initiative see the CSIRO website.
Your duties will include:
* Provide systems support for operation of Pawsey infrastructure, including but not limited to object storage, cloud computing, supercomputers, high performance Linux clusters, fast parallel filesystems and data storage infrastructure as well as underpinning support systems (such as LDAP and the Pawsey user management system).
* Assist in the operation and maintenance of Pawsey’s object storage infrastructure.
* Assist in the operation and maintenance of Pawsey’s cloud computing infrastructure.
* Communicate effectively and respectfully with all staff, clients and suppliers in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
* Work collaboratively with colleagues within the team, the business unit and across CSIRO, to support research objectives.
Location: Perth, WA preferred – Canberra, ACT – Melbourne, VIC – Brisbane, QLD – Sydney, NSW – Hobert, TAS – Adelaide, SA
Salary: AU$89k – AU$101k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
* Tertiary or graduate qualification in Science, Computing or Engineering, or equivalent experience
* Experience in the administration of Linux or Unix systems
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to use these skills to engage effectively with colleagues and clients
* The ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team under the general guidance of senior technical staff
* The ability and willingness to contribute novel ideas and approaches in support of providing computing services to researchers or clients
* Knowledge of programming languages (such as Python) and source code management tools
* Experience operating Ceph storage infrastructure, other object storage technologies, or OpenStack
* Experience with Internet technologies such as web servers, database servers and mail servers
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or you must either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa for the duration of the specified term. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia’s national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs, whether we are undertaking research, engaging with the public or nurturing future scientists in person or online. Source – CSIRO Child Safe policy 2023
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Shortlisting for this role may take place as applications are received. We therefore reserve the right to close this vacancy once a suitable candidate has been appointed,
Please consider applying as soon as possible.