This is an exciting opportunity for a software engineer passionate about open source software, Linux, and distributed systems. Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, the growing international software company behind Ubuntu.
As a software engineer on the Juju team, you’ll be working on a large open source Go project that powers complex distributed software systems across the world. Juju is the engine behind model-driven operations, providing a means to operate complex software on public cloud, private cloud, Kubernetes and bare-metal. Combined with the Charmed Operator framework, Juju provides a complete solution for applications and infrastructure management.
If you love solving interesting technical challenges in elegant, high-performance ways, come join our globally-distributed team of software engineers in building the future of the software-defined datacenter on the Ubuntu platform.
Many internal and external teams depend on Juju to deliver their products and services – from Canonical Infrastructure Services, our Openstack and cloud delivery teams, to Fortune 500 companies
What you’ll do
– Work with a variety of languages (primarily Go) to develop high-quality, extensible and reusable software.
– Actively collaborate with both internal and external users to resolve problems and define new features.
– Show strong technical leadership and rigour in feature definition, feature delivery and code review.
– Ensure quality by maintaining the tools, framework and infrastructure to run tests.
Who you are
– Proven track record of at least 5 years professional software delivery using Go, C, C++ or similar.
– Solid networking background and experience
– Degree level education in a technology field
– Experience with agile software development methodologies
– Experience of the Linux and free software world
– Working knowledge of cloud computing and experience with highly-concurrent distributed systems
– Excellent communications skills in the English language, both verbal and written, especially in online environments
– Ability to effectively interact with a diverse group of people (both technical and non-technical)
– Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through self-discipline and self-motivation, delivering according to a schedule, and to motivate and mentor others to do the same
– Software development and operational experience with databases
Desirable skills and experience
– Passion for quality and testing
– Go programming language experience
– Excellent distributed systems administration experience
– Proficient DevOps methodology and process
– Experience with test automation including system level automation and job runners
– Experience with continuous integration strategies
– Experience with packaging (debian, snappy)
– Release Management
– Technical understanding of complex distributed systems
– Delivery of scale-out service solutions
– Experience with container technologies (Docker, LXD, Kubernetes, etc.)
– Programming with and operating MongoDB
– Experience working on a distributed team on an open source project — even if that is outside work open source contributions.
– Demonstrated track record of Open Source contributions
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.
Apply at https://canonical.com/careers/2824997/software-engineer-juju-go-distributed-systems-remote