UK based company Red61 was founded in 2002 to build a robust and flexible ticketing system that could handle the size and complexity of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, the world’s largest arts festival. Since then, it has put a focus on constant innovation, developing its groundbreaking audience engagement software and solutions that now benefit major cultural venues and arts festivals worldwide.
In addition to the Fringe in Edinburgh, Red61 provides ticketing and audience engagement support for events around the world, including the Edmonton International Fringe, Abu Dhabi Science Festival, Adelaide Fringe and Melbourne International Comedy Festival, as well as the Edinburgh International Book Festival. With offices in Scotland, Canada and now Australia, Red61 is expanding to meet the demands of a growing network of clients across the world, looking to build creative and flexible solutions in an ever changing market.
Roles & Responsibilities
Red61 are seeking to appoint a Linux System Administrator, based in Melbourne, to be part of the Systems Administration team providing the technical platform for Red61’s market leading technology. This role will introduce you to a wide range of both exciting new technologies, as well as more mature platforms such as Java Enterprise Edition. Red61 are adept at combining technologies to build reliable, performant systems to meet the demands of temporary events.
Red61’s investment in technology provides the successful applicant a unique opportunity to learn and also to influence the technological landscape of the Company.
You’ll show a passion for technology and a desire for learning as well as teaching others. You’ll also work closely with your colleagues as a team, with a sense of shared ownership to ensure client uptime is maximised, acknowledging that working outside normal office hours is sometimes required to get the job done.
As part of this role, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work onsite at festivals and events. They will work closely with the customer facing side of the team, on occasion offering technical and operational advice to clients.
● Maintenance of between 60 and 150 Linux hosts depending on client activity.
● Actively monitor systems to identify issues and taking responsibility for fixing problems as they arise.
● Participate in evening and weekend on-call rota to ensure 24/7/365 support coverage.
● Maintain strong communication links with colleagues in the Systems Administration team to ensure successful knowledge sharing and task handover.
● Assist the Systems Administration team with installation and upgrade of internal and client systems in accordance with the implementation plan.
● Maintain documentation of the current systems environment and communicate change to the environment to the team.
● Configure, install and maintain city wide box office systems and networks.
● Provide technical and operational support to clients, both remotely and onsite, in the run up to and during live events.
● Participate in the monitoring of Red61’s and key customer’s assets and services to ensure continued compliance with PCI:DSS.
● Technical support of server side applications including: mail servers, phone systems, file servers, support systems and application & server monitoring systems.
● Linux Systems Administration with Commercial experience, preferably CentOS / RedHat Enterprise Linux and/or Debian
● Ability to use own initiative to creatively solve problems, whilst also knowing the best time to ask for help from your colleagues
● Ability to plan work and proactively manage systems to enable the company’s growth, securely and efficiently
● Excellent communication skills. An ability to communicate with both technical & non-technical colleagues and customers
● Shell scripting skills (Bash / PHP)
● Basic networking skills, including routing, firewalling, DNS, DHCP
Preferred additional skills and experience:
● JBossAS, JBoss EAP or other Java EE container, e.g Tomcat
● Network and performance monitoring – Nagios/Icinga, Cacti, Graphite, Smokeping, Observium
● Experience with dynamic routing
● MySQL/MariaDB administration (queries, maintenance & performance tuning)
● VPNs (SSL or
● Automated configuration management (Ansible, Chef)
● Virtualization (Qemu/Libvirt / KVM / Proxmox)
● Linux High Availability (Clusters, Heartbeat, PCS)
● Experience with dynamic routing (RIP & OSPF)
● Wide area networking
● Long range WiFi
● Experience in a customer facing environment