Minutes of Council Meeting 25 October 2016

1. Meeting overview and key information
Present
Katie, Cherie, Kathy, Hugh, Sae Ra

Apologies:
Tony, Craige

Meeting opened by 1934hrs by Hugh and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 27 September 2016 are correct
Moved:
Seconded:

ACTION LIST SUMMARY: Please Check and comment on Status of your Action Item. Minutes of the previous meeting in the next section.

ABS Economic Activity Survey
Kathy: to document this in the Operations Manual for the future
Membership Platform
Kathy: Kathy to ping list regarding removals.
Sae Ra: contact the admin team and/or Josh Hesketh to work out what to do to remove members from MemberDB.
Website:
Who can volunteer for this? - The website needs to be on the Risk register so that Council 2017 can carry this forward.
Financials
Kathy: Update operations manual re: BAS Statement etc
Cherie & others: Outstanding amount to be paid to the Ellis’
Tony: Accounts in NZ.
Rusty Wrench
Sae Ra: To find the email address for the rusty wrenchers
No specific list but I have the email address for all recipients.
Who can volunteer for this? Email the Rusty Wrenchers regarding award to the 2 Michael’s. Please see below for the Motion
Conferences/Sponsors
LCA2019
Cherie: To followup with the bidders regarding new date for site visit
Sponsors
Christmas card?

Agenda summary - key items for discussion this agenda

ABS Economic Activity Survey - who to take ownership / what information is required? (it’s a legal obligation, must be done)

ACTION: Tony and Hugh to work on this together
UPDATE: This is now completed
ACTION: Kathy to document this in the Operations Manual for the future

Discuss next steps for Membership platform and review the 2nd round MailChimp email

Kathy walked the meeting through the statistics for the Mailchimp mail outs
ACTION: Sae Ra to input all the Yes’ into a spreadsheet. - Completed

MORE INFORMATION required around Membership platforms.
ACTION: Kathy to go back to Membership committee to see if we can identify what effort is required in getting MemberDB to a less risky state
UPDATE: Action outstanding, Kathy to follow up
ACTION: Kathy to find who responded as a no.
UPDATE: Need to work out the mechanics on how to remove members from the list.
ACTION: Sae Ra to contact the admin team and/or Josh Hesketh to work out what to do to remove members from MemberDB.
ACTION: Kathy to ping list regarding removals.

Website: We need to look at how the website needs to be maintained. What are the security risks that are currently involved. Hugh to talk to the Admin team to see what the best pathway action to take to keep the website up-to-date
ACTION: The website needs to be on the Risk register so that Council 2017 can carry this forward.

Discuss ongoing responsibility for Storage King locker / access to such and transferral out of David Bell’s name

DECISION: Kathy to take ownership and be point of contact until we have a longer term plan. Kathy needs to devolve other tasks to make this happen.

DECISION: Access to be given to Ryan Verner to facilitate his AV role in multiple events. Council notes the potential conflict of interest with Ryan’s role in Next Day Video and believe there are sufficient control mechanisms in place to mitigate any concerns here.

ACTION: Kathy to arrange to take ownership from David and communicate with Ryan.
ACTION: Sae Ra to communicate with the LA Admin team of this.

Discuss timeline and bid team inspections for expressions of interest received for LCA2019

ACTION: Hugh to talk with JOSH STEWART and JOSHUA HESKETH to identify whether they would like to participate in Bid Inspections.

Further discussion / decision required on which sites to formally inspect.
UPDATE: Hugh to follow-up and have a more detailed read of the bid.

ACTION on Hugh to get LCA2019 bid inspection underway. General discussion that it is financially worth doing an inspection. Hugh to get broader opinions and input from Council re: viability of having LCA at the bid location at next Council meeting.

UPDATE: dates have come back from the bid teams regarding inspection weekends.
ACTION: Cherie to get back to the bidders to slate Feb, also need to arrange payments for invoicing (caterers, travel, etc)

Q2 BAS statement and ATO obligations - how to do?

ACTION: Tony to do once GovHack items are reconciled
ACTION: Tony to contact GovHack and request items be reconciled
UPDATE: This is done, ACTION on Kathy to document in Operations Manual
Update: Kathy to update operations manual.

Sae Ra to send through an email address for the WR.

2. Log of correspondence
Motions moved on list

MOTION by Kathy Reid that a Finance and Treasury Subcommittee is formed, chaired by Treasurer, in line with S(21) of the Linux Australia constitution [1] with a remit to:
Assist the Treasurer to monitor and report on financial activities using the financial systems of Linux Australia

Provide advice and input to Treasurer and Council on preparation and execution of budgets and other financial interests
Own and maintain the organisation's Risk Register and provide advice to Treasurer and Council on risks and mitigation activities

Provide a pipeline for training and upskilling Members of Linux Australia interested in taking on the Treasurer role
Invite Members of Linux Australia to the Subcommittee as appropriate, providing that Council is informed when Members are appointed and/or removed
The initial Subcommittee will consist of Tony Breeds and Kathy Reid initially, with any other Council members able to join. Tony and Kathy to then work through who to invite to the Subcommittee, and determine whether to do a call to Members to volunteer.

Seconded: Hugh
Carried with 3 absent

IN CAMERA MOTION .........

DECISION: Further investigation / discussion required on this piece around awards / Rusty Wrench before

ACTION: Hugh to reach out to CRAIGE to identify and explore Craige’s thoughts on the issue

DEFER decision on this until further information is obtained
ACTION: Hugh to email the rusty wrench group.
General correspondence

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

MemberDB update and consideration of AgileWare quote
Kathy, chatted with Agileware and have asked for 2 quotes, 1 with trial quote and one with full hosting quote
UPDATE: Detailed quote now received from AgileWare, for Council consideration
http://lists.linux.org.au/mailman/private/committee/2016-June/056228.html
How will this be funded. Should the organisation take on an umbrella type role to organise events or should we invest into the new system
Needs to be some investigation on to the membership database, and see if we can find out if this investment is worthwhile for the membership. How many members are we catering for? MemberDB states 3447 members but do we have these members? What is the most cost effective way to cater for the membership.
Proposal to council. For the membership team to investigate mailchimp options and what it will cost to do the quick poll.
ACTION: Kathy to take this back to the membership committee.
UPDATE 2nd August - MailChimp email has gone out, latest results are about 85.6% of respondents - 856 out of 2933 - wish to remain members.

FOR DISCUSSION: Is this approach (see Kathy’s email) appropriate?
http://lists.linux.org.au/mailman/private/committee/2016-July/056470.html

UPDATE as of 24th August - a second round of MailChimp email has gone out - ostensibly to those who didn’t respond the first time. Some feedback rec’d that people have rec’d two emails - likely to be duplicate membership entries under different email addresses.
FOR DISCUSSION on next actions

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.
High Priority. Tony to update Action Register
UPDATE: still blocked by getting access to the NZ accounts.
UPDATE: Tony still attempting to engage with the bank
There is an outstanding amount for the Ellis’ that needs to be sorted.
To be sorted by Tony.
ACTION: Kathy to chase where this has got to.
Update In progress.

Please refer to Action Items list for more items.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hud62ZDm3o7A-wSBbIXgTo644b9j8pUlKJbL6sTq9tM/edit#gid=0
4. Items for discussion

Standing item: review activities list for new items
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/blob/master/activities-calendar.md

Informal request to Hugh from Ben Dechrai BuzzConf https://buzzconf.io/sponsor-buzzconf-2016/ asking if LA would consider sponsoring. Have said would float informally with Council in first instance.
Very much in the Linux Australia.
Excellent atmosphere.
It is not an open source event. Semi-corporate presenters.
There are no issues with the integrity or running of the event just not sure that LA should be sponsoring the event because it's not open source focussed.
IF buzzconf was to subscribe to the more open source of the way of things. It is more of a case of needing corporate sponsorship.
It is worth exploring further
Logo/visibility and what options are available etc. It would be worthwhile looking at numbers on what things we could provide.
ACTION: Hugh to have a chat with Ben
UPDATE: In Progress - Hugh to review action items from F2F re amount and go from there.
ACTION: Kathy to ping Ben
Update nothing further.

Event Updates:
LCA2017 update
Keynotes have been released
LCA2018 update
Numbers are are a bit high budget wise./ Hugh to double check the number
LCA2019 update
Update: as above
PyConAU update

Drupal South Gold Coast 2016
Drupal south is happening next weekend
Hugh to send through information to Vlad regarding LA who we are etc.
GovHack
A debrief needs to be had with correct and substantive agenda and preparation.
JoomlaDay
No report
DrupalGov
No report
WordCamp Sunshine Coast 2016
No report
WordCamp Sydney 2016
Likely to run at a minor loss.
CiviCRM 2017 interested in aligning with LA
Nil
5. Items for noting
Sae Ra is going through a PD writing process for the Secretarial role. Also talking with the Admin team to briefly bring back the wiki so that we can extract the other PDs.
6. Other business
Subcommittee for advice
Increased communication between Council and Admin Team.
Removal of Francois as an LA Credit Card holder
Backstory: Sae Ra has received a letter in the LA Mailbox addressed to John Ferlito with a credit card for Francois

GovHack NZ - budgeting - budgeting for GovHack has been difficult, with expenses (ie sending people to Red Carpet Awards) that was not made clear earlier in the process.
ACTION: Cherie to send formal email to Council outlining issue and $ amount involved

Carried Over from Previous Minutes
Linux Australia as charity funds funnel?
It’s been raised that it would be nice to have Linux Australia (or something else?) as a local, tax deductible vessel via which Australian could donate directly to, for example, the Software Freedom Conservancy.
ACTION: Kathy to reach out to Jon, and try to partner with EFA in regards to Tax Deductible donations. Kathy to respond to the digital rights campaign email.
Kathy to reach out in a couple of weeks time.

New Other Business
7. Other business carried from previous Council
ACTION: Cherie to review Minutes from F2F and add to next meeting agenda if further discussion required.