Minutes of Council Meeting 21 June 2016

1. Meeting overview and key information
Present
Hugh, Cherie, Kathy, Sae Ra, Tony, Katie

Apologies:
Craige

Meeting opened by Hugh at 1932hrs and quorum was achieved

Motion to keep a watching brief of the Mailing List.

MOTION that the previous minutes of Hugh are correct
Moved: Kathy
Seconded: Kathy
Carried with 1 abstention

2. Log of correspondence
Motions moved on list
Nil

General correspondence

VPAC Closure
Email notice to be sent out.
ACTION complete, no further action
Look at the current setup and find the way that it is

Insurance
UPDATE: Sohan was chased 25th April, awaiting update
UPDATE: an invoice has been sent. Kathy to raise the invoice and ping Sae Ra to approve in Westpac.
UPDATE: All now approved and paid

Request for comment re: Appelbaum
Council to put together a statement to send to the list. Possibly based off the draft prepared early last week

Reminder for the old fella (that’d be Hugh) - what is the difference between the Linux Australia Announce list and linux-aus in terms of membership etc.
Announce list has 2530 members, linux-aus has 598 as at 20 June 22:28hrs
MemberDB membership has 3447 members as at 20 June 22:30hrs
What is the announce list used for. What is the linux-aus list for.

From Previous Meetings:

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Kathy, chatted wtih Agileware and have asked for 2 quotes, 1 with trial quote and one with full hosting quote
Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.
ACTION: Needs analysis of website feature requirements. Should we make things simpler?
Understanding the User Needs of the website
ACTION: Kathy to approach the Membership team Subcommittee.
Draft a survey to better understand the usage of the public facing website. The membership team is in progress.
ACTION Kathy to communicate with the Linux Aus List.
Survey has been sent out to the Linux Aus list.
Need to compile a summary of answers from the survey.
UPDATE: Survey has been completed, and key findings and recommendations sent to the Linux Aus list.
UPDATE: Survey was sentout to the LA list. Look at wireframes and look at candidate platforms. Tl:dr membership team have been doing stuff.
UPDATE: Quotes received from Agileware and DevApp regarding hosting of CiviCRM, Kathy currently following up.
UPDATE: Detailed quote now received from AgileWare, for Council consideration

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.
High Priority. Tony to update Action Register
UPDATE: still blocked by getting access to the NZ accounts.
UPDATE: Tony still attempting to engage with the bank
There is an outstanding amount for the Ellis’ that needs to be sorted.

Please refer to Action Items list for more items.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hud62ZDm3o7A-wSBbIXgTo644b9j8pUlKJbL6sTq9tM/edit#gid=0
4. Items for discussion

Standing item: review activities list for new items
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/blob/master/activities-calendar.md

Call for bids for linux.conf.au 2019
ACTION: Tony to do the Python script magic and amend dates, then to formally announce the call for bids
In Progress

Informal request to Hugh from Ben Dechrai BuzzConf https://buzzconf.io/sponsor-buzzconf-2016/ asking if LA would consider sponsoring. Have said would float informally with Council in first instance.
Very much in the Linux Australia.
Excellent atmosphere.
It is not an open source event. Semi-corporate presenters.
There are no issues with the integrity or running of the event just not sure that LA should be sponsoring the event because it's not open source focussed.
IF buzzconf was to subscribe to the more open source of the way of things. It is more of a case of needing corporate sponsorship.
It is worth exploring further
Logo/visibility and what options are available etc. It would be worthwhile looking at numbers on what things we could provide.
ACTION: Hugh to have a chat with Ben
UPDATE: In Progress - Hugh to review action items from F2F re amount and go from there.

Event Updates:
LCA2016 update
Last financial payment made, event report circulated. Can we close the books?
LCA2017 update
In progress
LCA2018 update
In progress
LCA2019 update
Call for bids to go out very soon. Dates to be sent out very soon as well.
PyConAU update
In progress
Drupal South Gold Coast 2016
In progress
OSDConf 2015
Completed
GovHack
Confirming venues for insurance purposes
JoomlaDay
In progress
DrupalGov
In progress
WordCamp Sunshine Coast 2016
In progress
WordCamp Sydney 2016
In progress
CiviCRM 2017 interested in aligning with LA

5. Items for noting
ITWire article: http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-analysis/the-linux-distillery/72843-linux-australia-hosting-woes-to-continue-under-current-mindset.html
6. Other business
6 Month check, how are we travelling.

Carried Over from Previous Minutes
Linux Australia as charity funds funnel?
It’s been raised that it would be nice to have Linux Australia (or something else?) as a local, tax deductible vessel via which Australian could donate directly to, for example, the Software Freedom Conservancy.
ACTION: Kathy to reach out to Jon, and try to partner with EFA in regards to Tax Deductible donations. Kathy to respond to the digital rights campaign email.

New Other Business
7. Other business carried from previous Council
ACTION: Cherie to review Minutes from F2F and add to next meeting agenda if further discussion required.