Council Minutes Tuesday 24th May 2016

Tue, 2016-05-24 19:35 - 20:30

1. Meeting overview and key information
Present
Kathy, Cherie, Tony, Hugh

Apologies:
Sae Ra

Meeting opened by Hugh at 1935hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 25 April are correct
Moved: Kathy
Seconded: Cherie
CARRIED with one abstention

2. Log of correspondence
Motions moved on list
None

General correspondence
None

VPAC Closure
Email notice to be sent out.
ACTION complete, no further action

Insurance
UPDATE: Sohan was chased 25th April, awaiting update
UPDATE: an invoice has been sent. Kathy to raise the invoice and ping Sae Ra to approve in Westpac.
UPDATE: All now approved and paid

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.
ACTION: Needs analysis of website feature requirements. Should we make things simpler?
Understanding the User Needs of the website
ACTION: Kathy to approach the Membership team Subcommittee.
Draft a survey to better understand the usage of the public facing website. The membership team is in progress.
ACTION Kathy to communicate with the Linux Aus List.
Survey has been sent out to the Linux Aus list.
Need to compile a summary of answers from the survey.
UPDATE: Survey has been completed, and key findings and recommendations sent to the Linux Aus list.
UPDATE: Survey was sentout to the LA list. Look at wireframes and look at candidate platforms. Tl:dr membership team have been doing stuff.
UPDATE: Quotes received from Agileware and DevApp regarding hosting of CiviCRM, Kathy currently following up.

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.
High Priority. Tony to update Action Register
UPDATE: still blocked by getting access to the NZ accounts.
UPDATE: Tony still attempting to engage with the bank

Please refer to Action Items list for more items.

4. Items for discussion

Standing item: review activities list for new items
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/blob/master/activities-calendar.md

Call for bids for linux.conf.au 2019
ACTION: Tony to do the Python script magic and amend dates, then to formally announce the call for bids

Informal request to Hugh from Ben Dechrai BuzzConf https://buzzconf.io/sponsor-buzzconf-2016/ asking if LA would consider sponsoring. Have said would float informally with Council in first instance.
Very much in the Linux Australia.
Excellent atmosphere.
It is not an open source event. Semi-corporate presenters.
There are no issues with the integrity or running of the event just not sure that LA should be sponsoring the event because it's not open source focussed.
IF buzzconf was to subscribe to the more open source of the way of things. It is more of a case of needing corporate sponsorship.
It is worth exploring further
Logo/visibility and what options are available etc. It would be worthwhile looking at numbers on what things we could provide.
ACTION: Hugh to have a chat with Ben
UPDATE: In Progress - Hugh to review action items from F2F re amount and go from there.

Event Updates:
LCA2016 update
ACTION: Kathy to send the event report

LCA2017 update
LCA2017 want to use a different payment provider, Stripe instead of SecurePay. Fees not significantly different.
ACTION: Tony to assess and respond to Chris Neugebauer, allowing us to use SecurePay in future if Stripe doesn’t work out

LCA2018 update
Email sent to ghosts: date issues, now options are 8th Jan or 25th, both have problems, not unsurmountable. Final dates TBC

PyConAU update
Earlybird sold out in 24 hours
All progressing well

Drupal South Gold Coast 2016
Cherie phoned Vlad and sent email asking what assistance is required, where they are in planning etc. ALso sent email to Donna B asking how involved she wants to be.
Westpac walkthrough date set

OSDConf 2015
A well written post event report went out. This item can likely now be removed from future agendas

GovHack
Email from Kathy
ACTION: Kathy to seek an informal indication of financial position so that we know the financial risk exposure.
Xero access: Tony to chat with auditor first. Accountant fees will be negligible. Once auditor meeting has happened, Jan’s bookkeeper will need to set up the separate instance.

JoomlaDay
Sponsorship outstanding
ACTION: Hugh to send another chasing email

DrupalGov
ACTION

WordCamp Sunshine Coast 2016
Nearly 200 pax, although 300 expected.
Bills appear to be paid
Possibly in black - accounts need to be completed
Kathy to watch for outstanding bills then close books
Post event report will follow (Kathy chasing up)

WordCamp Sydney 2016
Well organised, mature event team
Dates and venue locked in
Few $k in review already from ticket sales
Access to Xero complete
Should only require light touch

CiviCRM 2017 interested in aligning with LA
Tony suggested sponsoring
Agileware quote for hosting vgood (Kathy)

5. Items for noting

6. Other business

Carried Over from Previous Minutes
Linux Australia as charity funds funnel?
It’s been raised that it would be nice to have Linux Australia (or something else?) as a local, tax deductible vessel via which Australian could donate directly to, for example, the Software Freedom Conservancy.
ACTION: Kathy to reach out to Jon, and try to partner with EFA in regards to Tax Deductible donations. Kathy to respond to the digital rights campaign email.

New Other Business
7. Other business carried from previous Council
ACTION: Cherie to review Minutes from F2F and add to next meeting agenda if further discussion required.

8. In Camera
1 item was discussed in camera

2030AEST close.