Council Minutes Tuesday 12th April 2016

Tue, 2016-04-12 19:37 - 20:24

1. Meeting overview and key information
Present
Kathy, Sae Ra, Katie, Tony, Hugh

Apologies:
Cherie, Craige,

Meeting opened by Hugh at 1937hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 29 March are correct
Moved: Hugh
Seconded: Kathy
Carried 1 abstention

2. Log of correspondence
Motions moved on list
1 Motion
MOTION by Kathy Reid that the proposed GovHack Subcommittee policy be approved as the basis on which a GovHack Subcommittee can be formed, replacing in this instance the existing Subcommittee Policy due to the special requirements of the GovHack Subcommittee
SECONDED by Sae Ra Germaine
Carried

General correspondence

Insurance
Certificate of currancy

GovHack
Motion has been moved, to accept the subcommittee policy
GovHack Subcommittee to get to the LA Council the Budget
ACTION: Tony
ACTION: Kathy - Email govhack to get the projected numbers/actuals from 2016 and outline the proposed plan
Late tomorrow/midday thursday, council motion published on list that accepts budget and go.
Access to Xero can be granted tomorrow morning, invoices can be generated and then sent out once the budget has been approved.
MOTION BY HUGH BLEMINGS to form the GovHack Subcommittee including the GovHack Global Operations team with Sae Ra Germaine and Tony Breeds as standing council members until community members can be found.
Seconded: SAE RA GERMAINE
Passed.

From Previous Meetings:
VPAC Closure
MemberDB is not hard to move. Most of linux.org.au. There’s a few LUG things/DNS stuff.
ACTION: Josh H to ping Steve
MemberDB is moved to a new host
Needs a quick code audit
Double check results of previous elections all match old host
Josh H to follow up with Steve any further work
ACTION: Sae Ra to ping steve.
Update:
Work in progress.

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Request from infrastructure subcommittee for assistance around previous LCA websites.
ACTION: Sae Ra to work with Steve W around this
In Progress
Sae Ra to drop a line to Steve

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.
ACTION: Needs analysis of website feature requirements. Should we make things simpler?
Understanding the User Needs of the website
ACTION: Kathy to approach the Membership team Subcommittee.
Draft a survey to better understand the usage of the public facing website. The membership team is in progress.
ACTION Kathy to communicate with the Linux Aus List.
Survey has been sent out to the Linux Aus list.
Need to compile a summary of answers from the survey.

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.
High Priority. Tony to update Action Register
UPDATE: still blocked by getting access to the NZ accounts.

Admin Team draft budget from STEVEN WALSH
UPDATE: Awaiting for a more firm budget
UPDATE: Still awaiting
UPDATE: Steve is on holidays and it will be followed up later.
UPDATE: Tony to follow up.
In Progress.
ACTION: Sae Ra to ask Steve

Please refer to Action Items list for more items.

ACTION: Kathy to create a Events checklist.

4. Items for discussion

Kathy to follow up with Chris Skene and possibly connect with Donna Benjamin.
implementing a measure to make sure we have oversight over the committees.
ACTION: Kathy to contact
Eventbrite payment has been chased. And post event report is sought.
1 more transaction needs to be reviewed and finalised. Waiting on the post event report.

Face to face timing and preparation - we should get the ball rolling on this.
Meeting in Melbourne.
ACTION Katie to Setup a doodle poll for an appropriate weekend for face-to-face
7th/8th May
ACTION: Kathy to invite Josh H to Face to Face.
UPDATE: Josh H has confirmed availability for F2F, he is happy to arrive the Friday night and participate for the full weekend. He is awaiting location / accommodation details.
Key items for preparation is accommodation and travel.
ACTION: Tony for travel
ACTION: Kathy for accommodation

Our insurance coverage ends on 19th April 2016, we might want to discuss renewal and coverage as we only have about a month to renew
As above

GovHack in general - ie recapping Council on the Friday night discussion
As above
Membership committee next actions - recapping Council on the Thursday night discussion
As above

Informal request to Hugh from Ben Dechrai BuzzConf https://buzzconf.io/sponsor-buzzconf-2016/ asking if LA would consider sponsoring. Have said would float informally with Council in first instance.
Very much in the Linux Australia.
Excellent atmosphere.
It is not an open source event. Semi-corporate presenters.
There are no issues with the integrity or running of the event just not sure that LA should be sponsoring the event because it's not open source focussed.
IF buzzconf was to subscribe to the more open source of the way of things. It is more of a case of needing corporate sponsorship.
It is worth exploring further
Logo/visibility and what options are available etc. It would be worthwhile looking at numbers on what things we could provide.
ACTION: Hugh to have a chat with Ben
UPDATE: In Progress.

Schwag options for Linux Australia to send out to events.

Event Updates:
LCA2016 update
Post event report was submitted.

LCA2017 update
Ghosts this weekend
Kathy to forward twitter details to Chris.

LCA2018 update
All good

PyConAU update
The word is getting out.
They were initially blocked for a period of time regarding CfP.

Drupal South 2016
Progressing ok, invoices have been generated. On track for their conference.

OSDConf 2015
Post Event report has been received and all books have been closed.
Kathy to draft ODSConf call for bids

GovHack
As Above

JoomlaDay
Nothing to report

DrupalGov
Finalising payment and seeking a final report.

WordCamp Sunshine Coast 2016
In progress.

WordCamp Sydney 2016
Starting to bring sponsorship in. Site structure has been sorted out. Will require a budget.
ACTION: Kathy to touch base with WordCamp Sydney to vote on the budget.

5. Items for noting
Nil

6. Other business
MemberDB

Carried Over from Previous Minutes
Linux Australia as charity funds funnel?
It’s been raised that it would be nice to have Linux Australia (or something else?) as a local, tax deductible vessel via which Australian could donate directly to, for example, the Software Freedom Conservancy.
ACTION: Kathy to reach out to Jon, and try to partner with EFA in regards to Tax Deductible donations. Kathy to respond to the digital rights campaign email.

FOSS As A Service - GNU Social - Moved to Action Items list

New Mailing List Policy - Moved to Action Items list

Proposed Code of Conduct Amendments, by Christopher Neugebauer
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/13 - “removes a "specific problem behaviour" that I believe was added to the code of conduct in jest several years ago, and has made it difficult to have meaningful discussions about the remainder of the provisions of the code of conduct.”
MOTION by Katie to accept the Pull request from Chris N.
Seconded: Craige
Carried with 2 abstentions.

7. Other business carried from previous Council
Request from LUKE JOHN to Officially oppose the TPP
Confirmed. Hugh to put the wording around to a thank you and announcement.
Motion by Kathy Reid Thanks goes to Josh Stewart for his help with putting together the TPP submission.
Seconded Hugh Blemings

8. In Camera
Nil items were discussed in camera

2024hrs close.