Council Minutes Tuesday 29th March 2016

Tue, 2016-03-29 19:31 - 21:00

1. Meeting overview and key information
Present
Hugh, Sae Ra, Kathy, Cherie, Tony

Apologies:
Katie, Craige

Meeting opened by Hugh at 1931hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 15 March are correct
Moved: Cherie
Seconded: Kathy
Carried with 1 abstention

2. Log of correspondence
Motions moved on list
1 Motion Pending

MOTION by Kathy Reid that in alignment with the Subcommittee Policy (v2) a Subcommittee is formed to run WordCamp Sydney 2016 with the following membership;

Wil Brown (chair) -
Kristen Symonds (treasurer) -
Peter Shilling (organiser) -
James Carmody (organiser) -
Isabel Brison (organiser) -
Jude Love (organiser) -
Dion Beetson (organiser) -
Dee Teal (community rep) -
Peter Bui (community rep) -

SECONDED: Tony Breeds
Passed unanimously.

General correspondence

GovHack Subcommittee policy
ACTION:
Kathy to Draft the motion
Suggest the changes to govhack on the termination terms to 30 days to return any finances when starting the partnership.

From Previous Meetings:
VPAC Closure
MemberDB is not hard to move. Most of linux.org.au. There’s a few LUG things/DNS stuff.
ACTION: Josh H to ping Steve
MemberDB is moved to a new host
Needs a quick code audit
Double check results of previous elections all match old host
Josh H to follow up with Steve any further work
ACTION: Sae Ra to ping steve.

Proposing that Linux Australia fund Software Freedom Conservancy by FRANCOIS MARIER
Defer for 2016 F2F - Removed from the Council Agenda.

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Request from infrastructure subcommittee for assistance around previous LCA websites.
ACTION: Sae Ra to work with Steve W around this
In Progress
Sae Ra to drop a line to Steve

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.
ACTION: Needs analysis of website feature requirements. Should we make things simpler?
Understanding the User Needs of the website
ACTION: Kathy to approach the Membership team Subcommittee.
Draft a survey to better understand the usage of the public facing website. The membership team is in progress.
ACTION Kathy to communicate with the Linux Aus List.
Survey has been sent out to the Linux Aus list.
Need to compile a summary of answers from the survey.

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.
Update: Still in progress
Money shuffling is still required
High Priority. Tony to update Action Register
UPDATE: still blocked by getting access to the NZ accounts.

ACTION: Josh H to follow-up on Invoices from WordCamp Sydney
ACTION: Missing Payment from NewsCorp Assigned to Tony Breeds
Payment has now been received.

Admin Team draft budget from STEVEN WALSH
UPDATE: Awaiting for a more firm budget
UPDATE: Still awaiting
UPDATE: Steve is on holidays and it will be followed up later.
UPDATE: Tony to follow up.
In Progress.
ACTION: Sae Ra to ask Steve

Please refer to Action Items list for more items.

ACTION: Kathy to create a Events checklist.

4. Items for discussion

Kathy to follow up with Chris Skene and possibly connect with Donna Benjamin.
implementing a measure to make sure we have oversight over the committees.
ACTION: Kathy to contact
Eventbrite payment has been chased. And post event report is sought.

Face to face timing and preparation - we should get the ball rolling on this.
Meeting in Melbourne.
ACTION Katie to Setup a doodle poll for an appropriate weekend for face-to-face
7th/8th May
ACTION: Kathy to invite Josh H to Face to Face.
UPDATE: Josh H has confirmed availability for F2F, he is happy to arrive the Friday night and participate for the full weekend. He is awaiting location / accommodation details.
Key items for preparation is accommodation and travel.
ACTION: Tony for travel
ACTION: Kathy for accommodation

Our insurance coverage ends on 19th April 2016, we might want to discuss renewal and coverage as we only have about a month to renew

GovHack in general - ie recapping Council on the Friday night discussion
View to form GovHack Australia as a subcommittee of Linux Australia. Went through the rundown of how things work, legalities, all went smoothly. Part of the conversation was around the autonomy of GovHack. GovHack to come to LA with a subcommittee policy. Community Membership, for oversight.

Membership committee next actions - recapping Council on the Thursday night discussion

Informal request to Hugh from Ben Dechrai BuzzConf https://buzzconf.io/sponsor-buzzconf-2016/ asking if LA would consider sponsoring. Have said would float informally with Council in first instance.
Very much in the Linux Australia.
Excellent atmosphere.
It is not an open source event. Semi-corporate presenters.
There are no issues with the integrity or running of the event just not sure that LA should be sponsoring the event because it's not open source focussed.
IF buzzconf was to subscribe to the more open source of the way of things. It is more of a case of needing corporate sponsorship.
It is worth exploring further
Logo/visibility and what options are available etc. It would be worthwhile looking at numbers on what things we could provide.
ACTION: Hugh to have a chat with Ben
UPDATE: In Progress.

Schwag options for Linux Australia to send out to events.

Event Updates:

LCA2016 update
Previous Meeting
Geelong Debrief (email from Josh H): ”I think it's useful for LCA teams to do a debrief style ghosts meeting with either a rep from the council or a ghost”
To take back to David

LCA2017 update
Previous Meeting
Ghosts has been organised. 16/17th April.
ACTION: Hacking away.

LCA2018 update
Previous Meeting
Need to form the subcommittee to approve the budget and community members.
ACTION: Katie to run point with the team and follow-up
ACTION: to go onto the Face-to-face agenda.
Seem to be working along, domains etc.

PyConAU update
Previous Meeting
ACTION: Tony to take point.
CfP is about to open.
Arranging Keynotes.

Drupal South 2016
Previous Meeting
ACTION: Kathy to take point.
Need to lock in a budget and to give the training.
Kathy to reach out.

OSDConf 2015
Previous Meeting
Post event report in progress.

GovHack
Previous Meeting
Sponsorship Agreement - for review
Subcommittee Policy - meeting to be convened, requesting participation from other Council members
Tony and Sae Ra to take point on behalf of LA to speak with GovHack.

JoomlaDay
Tony to ping the organisers.
Previous Meeting
Event has been finished. 1 sponsorship invoice is outstanding. Post event report to come.

DrupalGov
Previously covered.
Previous Meeting
Covered by Kathy

WordCamp Sunshine Coast 2016
Previous Meeting
Meeting with Luke
Need to get the team setup in the financial system and get them up and running on the event.
Really professional vibe. Added to the website. We need to get them Xero access. Venue, sponsors etcs

WordCamp Sydney 2016
Kathy to communicate.
Previous Meeting
Monday 21st Kathy will talk to them re subcommittee policy.

5. Items for noting
Nil

6. Other business
MemberDB
Emails have been sent out regarding the survey. Follow-up will be provided once results have been collated.

Carried Over from Previous Minutes
Linux Australia as charity funds funnel?
It’s been raised that it would be nice to have Linux Australia (or something else?) as a local, tax deductible vessel via which Australian could donate directly to, for example, the Software Freedom Conservancy.
ACTION: Kathy to reach out to Jon, and try to partner with EFA in regards to Tax Deductible donations. Kathy to respond to the digital rights campaign email.

FOSS As A Service - GNU Social - Moved to Action Items list

New Mailing List Policy - Moved to Action Items list

Proposed Code of Conduct Amendments, by Christopher Neugebauer
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/12 – “establishes that technology choices are not grounds for harassment of attendees of our events.”
ACTION: To be deferred to Face-to-Face
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/13 - “removes a "specific problem behaviour" that I believe was added to the code of conduct in jest several years ago, and has made it difficult to have meaningful discussions about the remainder of the provisions of the code of conduct.”
MOTION by Katie to accept the Pull request from Chris N.
Seconded: Craige
Carried with 2 abstentions.
Misc Pending Policy Pull Requests
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/15 Remove repeated second paragraph from Rationale
MOTION: by Katie to merge pull request #15
Seconded Tony
Passed

Enable SPF on mailing lists
as per mailing list conversations
Council to seek Admin Team’s advice.
MOTION: Kathy The change to SPF is reverted so we go back to the state we were at previously
Seconded: Cherie.
Carried.
ACTION: Kathy to liaise with Admin Team.
UPDATE: Kathy emailed Admin Team 15th March for advice, awaiting advice
Emailed admin team.

Insurance Policy:
Is our coverage adequate?
Is there any extensions we need to
ACTION: Kathy to make the call to pay the insurance like for like.

New Other Business

7. Other business carried from previous Council
Meetup payments for LCA, Humbug, LibrePlanet.
Clinton Roy has been funding the account.
We are currently paying for the SLUG meetup.
Deferred until current meetup account is evaluated and if it can use the LA account or if we have to create a new account.
LCA is now under the Linux Australia account
ACTION: Josh H to find out how to consume the other Meetup events: Humbug, LibrePlanet.
Humbug meetup has a subscription for the next 6 months.
James: to chase up with Clinton re LibrePlanet.
UPDATE: In Progress

Request from LUKE JOHN to Officially oppose the TPP
Confirmed. Hugh to put the wording around to a thank you and announcement.
Motion by Kathy Reid Thanks goes to Josh Stewart for his help with putting together the TPP submission.
Seconded Hugh Blemings

2100AEDST close.