Council Minutes Tuesday 15th March 2016

Tue, 2016-03-15 19:36 - 20:45

1. Meeting overview and key information
Present
Hugh, Sae Ra, Katie, Cherie, Kathy

Apologies:
Tony, Craige,

Meeting opened by Hugh at 1936hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 1 March are correct
Moved: Kathy
Seconded: Cherie
Carried with 1 abstention

2. Log of correspondence
Motions moved on list
Nil

General correspondence

From Previous Meetings:
VPAC Closure
MemberDB is not hard to move. Most of linux.org.au. There’s a few LUG things/DNS stuff.
ACTION: Josh H to ping Steve
MemberDB is moved to a new host
Needs a quick code audit
Double check results of previous elections all match old host
Josh H to follow up with Steve any further work

Strategic Plan submitted by KATHY REID
Tabled
Good community discussion
Should be considered by 2016 council
MOTION by CHRIS N that we commend the strategic plan as written by KATHY REID for consideration by the 2016 council.
SECONDED: Joshua Hesketh
Passed unanimously

linux.com.au Renewal Notification from ENETICA - 90 days
Josh H to pay with LA debit card
UPDATE: Kathy has paid this with her LA debit card, can be removed from agenda

Proposing that Linux Australia fund Software Freedom Conservancy by FRANCOIS MARIER
Defer for 2016 budget

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Request from infrastructure subcommittee for assistance around previous LCA websites.
ACTION: Sae Ra to work with Steve W around this
In Progress
Sae RA to drop a line to STeve

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.
Discussion held about means of finding people willing to assist with both the maintenance of the website platform as well as the content available on this.
JOSH H to speak to Donna regarding this
UPDATE: Ongoing
UPDATE: to be moved to a general action item. To do a call for help to work on the website. Could this be treated as a project.
We need to at least get the website to D8 and automate the updating process.
ACTION: Josh to get a backup of the site to Craig
ACTION: Craige to stage the website to see how easy it is to update.
UPDATE: Craige to log in to the website to elevate permissions.
UPDATE: Still in progress
ACTION: Josh H to tarball the site.
Outstanding action
In Progress
Completed
ACTION: Craige to send key to Josh H
In progress.
Desire to do things as open as possible so that others can contributes
ACTION: Needs analysis of website feature requirements. Should we make things simpler?
Understanding the User Needs of the website
ACTION: Kathy to approach the Membership team Subcommittee.
Draft a survey to better understand the usage of the public facing website. The membership team is in progress.
ACTION Kathy to communicate with the Linux Aus List.

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.
Update: Still in progress
Money shuffling is still required
High Priority. Tony to update Action Register

ACTION: Josh H to follow-up on Invoices from WordCamp Sydney
UPDATE: Would be interested in changing the subcommittee structure for ongoing conferences. Conference committees to draft a policy.
UPDATE: Currently being followed up.
ACTION: Josh H to follow this up
Have received information back. Josh to continue following up.
News Limited is still outstanding
WordPress Foundation:
acts similarly as Linux Australia.
Runs multiple WordCamps in the US.
WordPress give access to names to, documentation and financial support to WordCamps outside of US and Australia.
There is a mandate for WordPress to not return a profit.
What to do with outstanding debt:
What to do in the future: WordPress foundation will act as a sponsor to the event.
If the event makes a loss. WordPress foundation is able to act as a safety net.
Debt outstanding for 2014:
MOTION by JOSH HESKETH we cancel the debt for the WordPress foundation for their sponsorship for WordCamp in Sydney
Seconded: Tony
Carried with 1 objection
ACTION: Josh H to Confirm Sponsorship with the WordCamp 2016 budget.
ACTION: Missing Payment from NewsCorp Assigned to Tony bReeds

Admin Team draft budget from STEVEN WALSH
UPDATE: Awaiting for a more firm budget
UPDATE: Still awaiting
UPDATE: Steve is on holidays and it will be followed up later.
UPDATE: Tony to follow up.
In Progress.
Use opportunity at LCA to onboard new admin team members if possible.

Please refer to Action Items list for more items.

ACTION: Kathy to create a Events checklist.

BAS was submitted and went through seamlessly.

4. Items for discussion

Kathy to follow up with Chris Skene and possibly connect with Donna Benjamin.
implementing a measure to make sure we have oversight over the committees. ACTION: Kathy to contact

Josh Hesketh that has a Credit Card and is a signatory to the bank accounts
MOTION by Kathy to keep Josh Hesketh as a signatory on LA Bank Accounts and approve his use of an LA Credit Card until such time that we have worked with Westpac to ensure that we have updated the signatories.
Seconded: Tony
Passed

Face to face timing and preparation - we should get the ball rolling on this.
Meeting in Melbourne.
ACTION Katie to Setup a doodle poll for an appropriate weekend for face-to-face
7th/8th May
ACTION: Kathy to invite Josh H to Face to FAce.

Our insurance coverage ends on 19th April 2016, we might want to discuss renewal and coverage as we only have about a month to renew

During F2F discussions, I'd like to suggest that Josh Hesketh is invited to May F2F (if he's available / willing) to provide good handover and guidance

GovHack in general - ie recapping Council on the Friday night discussion
View to form GovHack Australia as a subcommittee of Linux Australia. Went through the rundown of how things work, legalities, all went smoothly. Part of the conversation was around the autonomy of GovHack. GovHack to come to LA with a subcommittee policy. Community Membership, for oversight.

Membership committee next actions - recapping Council on the Thursday night discussion
As discussed.

Informal request to Hugh from Ben Dechrai BuzzConf https://buzzconf.io/sponsor-buzzconf-2016/ asking if LA would consider sponsoring. Have said would float informally with Council in first instance.
Very much in the Linux Australia.
Excellent atmosphere.
It is not an open source event. Semi-corporate presenters.
There are no issues with the integrity or running of the event just not sure that LA should be sponsoring the event because it's not open source focussed.
IF buzzconf was to subscribe to the more open source of the way of things. It is more of a case of needing corporate sponsorship.
It is worth exploring further
Logo/visibility and what options are available etc. It would be worthwhile looking at numbers on what things we could provide.
Hugh to have a chat with Ben Dechrai

Event Updates:

LCA2016 update
Geelong Debrief (email from Josh H): ”I think it's useful for LCA teams to do a debrief style ghosts meeting with either a rep from the council or a ghost”
To take back to David

LCA2017 update
Ghosts has been organised. 16/17th April.
ACTION: Hugh ask for an update regarding Zookeepr.

LCA2018 update
Need to form the subcommittee to approve the budget and community members.
ACTION: Katie to run point with the team and follow-up
ACTION: to go onto the Face-to-face agenda.
Seem to be working along, domains etc.

PyConAU update
ACTION: Tony to take point.
CfP is about to open.

Drupal South 2016
ACTION: Kathy to take point.
Need to lock in a budget and to give the training.
Kathy to reach out.

OSDConf 2015
Post event report in progress.

GovHack
Sponsorship Agreement - for review
Subcommittee Policy - meeting to be convened, requesting participation from other Council members
Tony and Sae Ra to take point on behalf of LA to speak with GovHack.

JoomlaDay
Event has been finished. 1 sponsorship invoice is outstanding. Post event report to come.

DrupalGov
Covered by Kathy

WordCamp Sunshine Coast 2016
Meeting with Luke
Need to get the team setup in the financial system and get them up and running on the event.
Really professional vibe. Added to the website. We need to get them Xero access. Venue, sponsors etcs

WordCamp Sydney 2016
Monday 21st Kathy will talk to them re subcommittee policy.

5. Items for noting
PO Box and Mail Redirection has been paid on Kathy’s CC.

6. Other business
Linux Australia as charity funds funnel?
It’s been raised that it would be nice to have Linux Australia (or something else?) as a local, tax deductible vessel via which Australian could donate directly to, for example, the Software Freedom Conservancy.
ACTION: Kathy to reach out to Jon, and try to partner with EFA in regards to Tax Deductible donations. Kathy to respond to the digital rights campaign email.

FOSS As A Service - GNU Social - Moved to Action Items list

New Mailing List Policy - Moved to Action Items list

Proposed Code of Conduct Amendments, by Christopher Neugebauer
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/12 – “establishes that technology choices are not grounds for harassment of attendees of our events.”
ACTION: To be deferred to Face-to-Face
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/13 - “removes a "specific problem behaviour" that I believe was added to the code of conduct in jest several years ago, and has made it difficult to have meaningful discussions about the remainder of the provisions of the code of conduct.”
MOTION by Katie to accept the Pull request from Chris N.
Seconded: Craige
Carried with 2 abstentions.

Misc Pending Policy Pull Requests
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/15 Remove repeated second paragraph from Rationale
MOTION: by Katie to merge pull request #15
Seconded Tony
Passed

Enable SPF on mailing lists
as per mailing list conversations
Council to seek Admin Team’s advice.
MOTION: Kathy The change to SPF is reverted so we go back to the state we were at previously
Seconded: Cherie.
Carried.
ACTION: Kathy to liaise with Admin Team.
UPDATE: Kathy emailed Admin Team 15th March for advice, awaiting advice
Emailed admin team.

Insurance Policy:
Is our coverage adequate?
Is there any extensions we need to
ACTION: Kathy to make the call to pay the insurance like for like.

7. Other business carried from previous Council
Meetup payments for LCA, Humbug, LibrePlanet.
Clinton Roy has been funding the account.
We are currently paying for the SLUG meetup.
Deferred until current meetup account is evaluated and if it can use the LA account or if we have to create a new account.
LCA is now under the Linux Australia account
ACTION: Josh H to find out how to consume the other Meetup events: Humbug, LibrePlanet.
Humbug meetup has a subscription for the next 6 months.
James: to chase up with Clinton re LibrePlanet.
UPDATE: In Progress

Request from LUKE JOHN to Officially oppose the TPP
Confirmed. Hugh to put the wording around to a thank you and announcement.

8. In Camera
Nil items were discussed in camera

2045PM AEDST close.