Minutes of Council Meeting 1 July 2015

Wed, 2015-07-01 19:50 - 20:39

1. Meeting overview and key information
Present:
Chris Neugebauer, Tony Breeds, Sae Ra Germaine, James Iseppi, Josh Hesketh

Apologies:
Josh Stewart, Craige McWhirter

Meeting opened by Josh H at 1950hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 17 June are correct
Moved: Josh H
Seconded: Chris
Passed with 2 abstentions

2. Log of correspondence
Motions moved on list
Nil

General correspondence

GovHack 2015 as a subcommittee
MOTION by Josh H We accept govhack as an LA Sub-committee with the task of running GovHack at a national level with:
- Geoff Mason - lead
- Alysha Thomas
- Pia Waugh - as the liaison to LA
- Sharen Scott
- Diana Ferry
- Alex Sadleir
- Richard Tubb
- Jan Bryson
- Keith Moss

Under the Sub-committee policy v1 to allow the committee to run with autonomy and to use an external entity for administration.
Seconded Chris
Passed Unanimously

The old Subcommittee policy will need to come into effect
UPDATE: Bill from GovHack for Tony to process.
Need to discuss the Linux Australia Prize. Who will be judging the prize. The prize value is at $2000 “Best use or contribution to Open Source”.
For future GovHack events an option to offer tickets to a LA run conference.
A few tickets could be given
MOTION: Josh H Moves LA sponsors GovHack for the prize of “Best use of or contribution to Open Source” for the value of $2000.
Seconded by Sae Ra
Passed unanimously.
MOTION: Josh H Moves LA to reach out to the Geelong GovHAck team and Geelong LCA team to discuss local sponsorship of LCA tickets
Seconded Chris
Passed unanimously.
Josh H to take this action

Invoice from LESLIE POOLE - Reminder notice from Donna and Leslie have arrived.
Supporting the Drupal Accelerate fund
UPDATE: In Progress. Tony to process in Xero
UPDATE: Drupal to send through an updated invoice. - In Progress

Admin Team draft budget from STEVEN WALSH
UPDATE: Awaiting for a more firm budget
UPDATE: Still awaiting

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.
Discussion held about means of finding people willing to assist with both the maintenance of the website platform as well as the content available on this.
JOSH H to speak to Donna regarding this
UPDATE: Ongoing
UPDATE: to be moved to a general action item. To do a call for help to work on the website. Could this be treated as a project.
We need to at least get the website to D8 and automate the updating process.
ACTION: Josh to get a backup of the site to Craig
ACTION: Craige to stage the website to see how easy it is to update.
UPDATE: Craige to log in to the website to elevate permissions.
UPDATE: Still in progress

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.
Update: In progress
Update: To be done on friday.
Update: Still in progress

ACTION WordCamp Brisbane - JOSH H to contact Brisbane members who may possibly be able to attend conference closing
ACTION: Sae Ra to send through notes on what to say to James.
UPDATE: James delivered a thank you message to WordCamp.
WordCamp was a successful event. Thank you to the organisers.
ACTION: Josh H to get a wrap up/closing report

Potential sponsorship of GovHack.
More information is required on the types of sponsorship that LA can look at.
Clarify with GovHack. LA may not be able to sponsor a prize as you would also need to
UPDATE: Criteria would need to be developed. LA would be able to provide their own judge. Josh S to come with some wording and criteria motion to be held on list.
Value of the prize also to be discussed after budget has been analysed by Josh H and Tony B.
To be removed from further agendas

ACTION: Josh H to follow-up on Invoices from WordCamp Sydney
UPDATE: Would be interested in changing the subcommittee structure for ongoing conferences. Conference committees to draft a policy.

4. Items for discussion

- LCA2016 update
All going well. CFP closes on Monday

- LCA2017 update
Progressing.

- LCA2018 update
Formal call for bids to go out
UPDATE: Tony to send out a formal call.

- PyCon AU update
Sponsorship is going well. Registrations are tracking well.

- Drupal South
ACTION: Follow-up on DrupalSouth 2016 enquiry. will need to setup a sub-committee
UPDATE: To work out the sub-committee details with organisers.
Correspondence: Quotes from Venue
UPDATE: require some final details to finalise the sub-committee. DrupalSouth to submit a budget.

- WordCamp Brisbane
In Progress

- OSDConf
ACTION: Josh H to follow-up on budget status
ACTION: Josh to ping OSDConf
Payment for venue needs to be processed.

- GovHack
Report from Pia
Do we need to get a Logo to them for the website?
Also one for the LA website?
ACTION: Sae Ra to update LA Website with GovHack logo.

5. Items for noting
Nil items for noting

6. Other business

Backlog of minutes
MOTION by Josh H Minutes to be published to planet.linux.org.au
Seconded: Craige
Passed unanimously

Bank account balances need rebalancing
ACTION: Tony to organise transfers to occur including NZ account.
Appropriate treasurers to be notified.
UPDATE: to be discussed on friday
To be removed from further agendas

Membership of auDA
Relationship already exists.
LA has the potential to influence the decisions that are made.
ACTION: Council to investigate and look into this further. To be discussed at next fortnight.
UPDATE: Carried to next meeting
MOTION: Josh H moves that LA becomes a Demand Class member of auDA
Seconded: Tony B
Passed unanimously.
ACTION: Josh H to sign up with LA CC

zookeepr
David would like to keep working on ZooKeepr.
We will need to find a solution that does not block volunteers from helping work on ZooKeepr.
ACTION: James to look at ZooKeepr
UPDATE: In Progress.
ACTION: Josh S to catch up with David Bell regarding the documentation.

Grant Request from Kathy Reid for Renai LeMay’s Frustrated State
MOTION by Josh H given the timing the council has missed the opportunity to be involved in the Kickstarter campaign. The council believes this project is still of interest to its members and will reach out to Renai on what might be helpful in an in kind, financial or other way. Therefore the grant request is no longer current and to be closed.
Seconded Sae Ra Germaine
Passed unanimously
ACTION: Josh S to contact Renai
UPDATE: In Progress

Mailing list request from RUSSELL COKER regarding Science Cafe
To be discussed next Council Meeting.

7. In Camera

3 Items were discussed in camera.