Minutes of Council Meeting 08 October 2014

Wed, 2014-10-08 19:47 - 20:46

1. Meeting overview and key information

Present

Mr Joshua Hesketh, Mr Christopher Neugebauer, Ms Kathy Reid (minutes),
Mr Francois Marier, Mr Josh Stewart

Apologies

Mr Hugh Blemings, Ms Sae Ra Germaine

Meeting opened by Joshua at 1947hrs and quorum was achieved

Key Stats

Membership stands at: 3188 members (3182 last fortnight)

Twitter followers stands at: 864 (853 last fotnight)

Subscribers of linux-aus list stands at: 1650 steady

Subscribers of announce list stands at: 598 (594 last fortnight)

Review last minutes and move MOTION that they be accepted

MOVED by Joshua Hesketh
SECONDED Christopher Neugebauer
CARRIED unanimously with one abstention

2. Log of correspondence

Motions moved on list

Nil motions moved on list this fortnight

General correspondence

*

Grant request from ALEX BAYLEY for Growstuff.org
For further discussion and decision, two week period for community
feedback has elapsed
Funding campaign on Indiegogo is at about $4.5k. Open Food Web are a
backer, whom we have previously funded. Noted that the project is an
open source project on GitHub. The license for the project is
AGPLv3, the data is Creative Commons SA licensed. We want to have a
chat to the Open Food Web representatives to gauge their support for
the project. General discussion around the amount of the grant
request and that our proposed grants budget for 2014-2015 is $5000.

*

MOTION by Joshua that Linux Australia reach out to Open Food Web to
gauge their thoughts on the success of the previous grant request
and on this grant request before making a further decision.
SECONDED Josh Stewart
CARRIED unanimously

*

ACTION: Christopher Neugebauer to make contact with Open Food Web
and report back to Council

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

*

ACTION: Joshua to respond to STEVEN KIERNAN re: Linux Independent
Software Vendors
UPDATE: In progress

*

ACTION: Sae Ra to follow up MLUG listing on website
Action complete, can be removed next minutes. Other links to be
updated in due course. Council notes its thanks to Sae Ra for her
efforts in keeping the website up to date.

*

ACTION in progress with Admin team for 3 year spending plan for
hardware replacement

*

ACTION with Josh Hesketh to ensure 3 year server support package in
progress
Actions are in progress with Admin Team
UPDATE: Admin Team have a hackfest coming up soon and this can be
added to the agenda for the Admin Team to discuss.

*

Discussion of YouTube assets raised by KATHY REID based on
discussions with TIM ANSELL
ACTION: Josh Stewart to work through with Tim Ansell in due course
In progress, Josh has been working with LCA2015 team on this too.
Awaiting access to servers to continue, but generally in progress

*

Mailing list policy
ACTION: all to read through for further discussion next meeting
ACTION: all agreed to send to Policies mailing list for discussion,
Kathy to action
UPDATE: Has been sent to Policies list, some feedback received.
Suggestions are reasonable and valuable.
ACTION: Kathy to adopt the feedback into the draft policy and issue
pull request to GitHub policy for further review.

*

ACTION: brand/logo policy needs to go on backburner

*

ACTION: We need to set up a VM to enable continuous delivery for
conferences.
ACTION: Francois to chat to the LCA2015 team to identify what the
private git repositories are being used for. James Iseppi and Joshua
Hesketh are also key contacts in this space. DONE
ACTION: Joshua to discuss with LCA2016 process for managing ZooKeepr

4. Items for discussion

1.

LCA2015 update
Early bird registration opened today, going well
ACTION: Kathy to use @linuxaustralia account to retweet
@linuxconfau announcements

2.

LCA2016 update
Progressing well

3.

LCA2017 update
Site visits in progress

4.

PyCon AU update
Nothing new to report

5.

Drupal South
Nothing new to report

6.

Drupal Gov
Has occurred, quite successful

7.

JoomlaDay Sydney
Is occurring this weekend

8.

DrupalCampSydney
ACTION: Joshua to seek update

9.

WordCampSydney
Occurred late September, quite successful

5. Items for noting

6. Other business

*

ACTION: Second Council face to face to be discussed briefly at next
teleconf to allow Council to reflect on it.
MOTION by Joshua that Council does *not* hold a second face to face
in 2014
SECONDED by Kathy Reid
CARRIED unanimously.

*

Noting that elections for the Council 2015 are likely to open in the
next 10 weeks or so, Council were encouraged to give thought to
their intentions for standing for Council next year to ensure a
smooth transition for Council 2015, for discussion at next
fortnight's teleconference (24 September)

ACTION: Timeline for elections to be considered in October. Kathy to
ensure this is placed on agenda in early October for discussion. To
note that Clause (15)(6) of the Linux Australia Constitution states;

(6) The ballot for the election of office-bearers and ordinary committee
members of the committee is to be conducted no more than 60 days before
an annual general meeting or at the annual general meeting in such usual
and proper manner as the committee may direct.

Therefore, given that the AGM is likely to be around Wednesday 14th
January, we need to hold elections by around mid-November, ie around 7
weeks' away.

NOTE: Am keeping on minutes deliberately so that we plan to open
elections at a particular date - they need to be opened mid-November to
remain in alignment with the constitution.

In progress, will be kept on minutes and agenda.

*

Merging the Debian code of conduct based on LA code of conduct upstream
(pull request to git repo)
DEFERRED until Francois is present as he is closer to the change
ACTION: Council to review proposed changes
General discussion that the proposed change around discouraging the
use of profanity in presentations is sensible, however Council noted
that the issue here is really enforcement - it hasn't been enforced
previously. Discussion over the word 'requires'. Some discussion on
whether there are any classification frameworks that may provide
guidance here.
ACTION: Christopher to consider wording based on Council discussion
and propose amendments

*

Financial year closed

o

Tidy up accounts

o

Follow up DSW

o

New budget

o

LCA2015 expense note (re mikal email)

ACTION: Francois and Joshua to tidy up accounts, in particular
DrupalSouth Wellington to allow books to be closed.

ACTION: All Council to review Budget 2014/2015, note concerns or
questions with view to endorsing proposed Budget at next Council meeting.

ACTION: Francois to note LCA2015 expense note and action as appropriate

*

Admin-team maintenance policy
General discussion that a policy is required which meets needs of
both parties - ie teams using the infrastructure are not inhibited
and the Admin Team is not inhibited from patching, and keeping
infrastructure up to date.
ACTION: Kathy to liaise with Steve Walsh and offer assistance with
policy if desired.

7. In camera

Three items were discussed in camera

Meeting closed 2046hrs