Minutes of Council Meeting 24 September 2014

Wed, 2014-09-24 19:47 - 20:53

1. Meeting overview and key information


Mr Joshua Hesketh, Mr Hugh Blemings, Mr Josh Stewart, Ms Sae Ra
Germaine, Mr Christopher Neugebauer, Ms Kathy Reid (minutes)


Mr Francois Marier

Meeting opened by Joshua at 1947hrs and quorum was achieved

Key Stats

Membership stands at: 3182 members (3178 last fortnight)

Twitter followers stands at: 853 (841 last fotnight)

Subscribers of linux-aus list stands at: 1649 steady

Subscribers of announce list stands at: 594 (593 last fortnight)

Review last minutes and move MOTION that they be accepted

MOTION that the minutes of 10 September are complete and accurate
MOVED by Christopher

SECONDED by Joshua

MOTION CARRIED unanimously

2. Log of correspondence

Motions moved on list

Nil motions moved on list this fortnight

General correspondence


Data mining previous LCA delegates discussion (from lca-ghosts list)
Council is awaiting a clarification from the LCA2015 team on how the
team intend to make use of this data once it is handed over. At
present Council is not yet able to make a determination.
Awaiting further information, no further action at this time
Can be removed next minutes


Grant request from ALEX BAYLEY for Growstuff.org
MOTION by Joshua that further discussion be postponed until
community has a chance to consider the proposal.
SECONDED by Christopher
MOTION CARRIED unanimously


HERDSA conference sponsorship package prospectus
MOTION by Kathy Reid that Linux Australia respond politely in the
negative and that Kathy Reid communicate with the originator
SECONDED Christopher
CARRIED unanimously


Event aimed at Linux Independent Software vendors per STEVEN KIERNAN
MOTION by Joshua that LA respond to Steven indicating that LA are
likely not the right audience, but inviting him to make our
membership aware through linux-aus
CARRIED unanimously


Financial transactions for Drupal South Melbourne per PETER LIEVERDINK
Actions completed, no further action at this time


Advice from MICHELE BERT that a link to MLUG on the LA website was
In progress, chasing up status of mlug.org.au
Kathy's email to luv-main bounced
ACTION: Sae Ra to follow up


General financial transactions for Drupal Camp Sydney per MAGDA KOSTREWA
ACTION complete, can be removed next minutes

3. Review of action items from previous meetings


ACTION in progress with Admin team for 3 year spending plan for
hardware replacement


ACTION with Josh Hesketh to ensure 3 year server support package in
Actions are in progress with Admin Team


ACTION for Joshua Hesketh to complete ABS statistics survey
ACTION complete, can be removed next minutes


ACTION: Hugh to act as interim moderator of LinkedIn group while the
council determines further action; Hugh to coordinate with Sridhar
on how to add further moderators.
UPDATE: Sridhar has provided Hugh with moderator permissions
Actions are in progres


Discussion of YouTube assets raised by KATHY REID based on
discussions with TIM ANSELL
ACTION: Josh Stewart to work through with Tim Ansell in due course
In progress, Josh has been working with LCA2015 team on this too.
Awaiting access to servers to continue, but generally in progress


Mailing list policy
ACTION: all to read through for further discussion next meeting
ACTION: all agreed to send to Policies mailing list for discussion,
Kathy to action
No action since last minutes, outstanding


ACTION: brand/logo policy needs to go on backburner


ACTION: Kathy to promote Software Freedom Day events via the list
and via Twitter
Action complete


ACTION: We need to set up a VM to enable continuous delivery for
ACTION: Francois to chat to the LCA2015 team to identify what the
private git repositories are being used for. James Iseppi and Joshua
Hesketh are also key contacts in this space.
In progress, Joshua and a number of other parties meeting next week
to progress.
ACTION: Joshua to discuss with LCA2016 process for managing ZooKeepr

4. Items for discussion


LCA2015 update
Miniconfs announced
Public relations and comms have been great, social media have
been great
ZooKeepr coming along nicely nearing registration


LCA2016 update
Progressing nicely, aware of and mitigating risks


LCA2017 update


PyCon AU update
Some mailing lists issues which are being followed through


Drupal South
Joshua caught up with Donna Benjamin recently
Progressing nicely, in a quiet period before registration opens


Drupal Gov
In progress


JoomlaDay Sydney
ACTION: Josh to catch up with team


Scheduled early October, sponsorships are paid. Financials under


Coming up this weekend, generally on track
Need to go through their budget just to know what expenditure
contingency they have.

5. Items for noting

6. Other business


Noting that elections for the Council 2015 are likely to open in the
next 10 weeks or so, Council were encouraged to give thought to
their intentions for standing for Council next year to ensure a
smooth transition for Council 2015, for discussion at next
fortnight's teleconference (24 September)

ACTION: Timeline for elections to be considered in October. Kathy to
ensure this is placed on agenda in early October for discussion. To
note that Clause (15)(6) of the Linux Australia Constitution states;

(6) The ballot for the election of office-bearers and ordinary committee
members of the committee is to be conducted no more than 60 days before
an annual general meeting or at the annual general meeting in such usual
and proper manner as the committee may direct.

Therefore, given that the AGM is likely to be around Wednesday 14th
January, we need to hold elections by around mid-November, ie around 7
weeks' away.

DISCUSSION occurred around intentions of Council regarding nominations
in 2016. Council members discussed what their intentions were at this
time, with some Council members likely to accept nominations if
nominated, with others unlikely to do so. The general indication was
that there will likely be some Office Bearer and Ordinary Committee
Member (OCM) roles uncontested by current Council members, but that some
continuity is likely if serving Council members are nominated and
elected, even if into different roles than previously held.


ACTION: Office bearers to document their broad roles on the Council Wiki


Merging the Debian code of conduct based on LA code of conduct upstream
(pull request to git repo)
DEFERRED until Francois is present as he is closer to the change
ACTION: Council to review proposed changes


Discussion around a second Council face to face
Council discussed whether there was a need to hold a second Council
face to face this year. We discussed the financial implications of
holding a Council face to face, and noted that we have begun to
recover from the projected financial loss. Noted that given 3-4
Council members are likely to re-nominate for 2016 that continuity
of Council is not a burning issue. Kathy noted we are working well
remotely, we have reached quorum 20 months in a row. Noted that
meeting could be run in conjunction with LCA2017 site visit. Noted
that action items might be easier to achieve in a roundtable format.
Alternatives such as an IRC 'working bee' suggested.
ACTION: To be discussed briefly at next teleconf to allow Council to
reflect on it.

Christopher kindly left the meeting at 2034hrs so that Conference bids
could be discussed.

7. In camera

Several items were discussed in camera, primarily focussing on specific
intent of Council members to re-nominate and LCA2017 matters.

Meeting closed at 2053hrs