HSD is a growing ITC consultancy located in Nunawading, Victoria. We specialize in providing software development and consultancy services, mainly to the government sector.
We are currently seeking a graduate software engineer to complement our development team. In this position, you will be responsible for development of robust, scalable systems under the direction of senior developers and architects.
The team you will be working in is responsible for the ongoing development and support of HSD’s IP Forensics line of networking systems and services.
HSD provides a friendly, supportive work environment, where you will have the opportunity to develop your skills working alongside seasoned engineers and developers. We value mentoring and training, and offer a generous training program.
You are a Linux/FOSS enthusiast, with a keen interest in solving “hard” networking problems and desire to develop your full-stack “chops”.
Term of Employment – Permanent (6-month probation period)
Start Date – ASAP
HOW TO APPLY
By email to email@example.com
Applicants must currently hold Australian citizenship
Applicants must be willing to undertake police checks as a condition of employment.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
Graduate degree in related field
Knowledge and experience of the Linux (any distro) operating system:
– Must be comfortable working from the shell
Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following programming languages:
– Scripting languages such as UNIX Shell (Bash/Korn), Perl, Python
Sound knowledge of networking theory:
– OSI model
– Layer-2-to-6 protocols/technologies (e.g., VLAN tagging, Ethernet, IPv4/6, TCP/IP, UDP, BSD sockets, SSL/TLS)
Sound knowledge of development tools and practices:
– Build tools such as CMake, GNU make, Ant/Maven
– Revision control systems (e.g., Git)
– TDD (Test-Driven Development)
Demonstrable experience in one or more of the following areas:
RHEL-based Linux distros, including:
– Kickstart (for automated installations)
– rpm (Red Hat Package Manager)
– YUM (Yellowdog Update Modifier)
C/C++/Java programming frameworks/technologies, including:
– Boost C++ libraries
– Hibernate ORM
– JAX-RS, JAX-WS
Relational database systems and SQL
As a contributor to FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) projects
Hard working and eager to learn
Attention to detail
Good written and spoken communication
Sense of humour
Applications should address the key selection criteria in their responses.
We are looking for applications that concisely present the applicant’s relevant experience, qualifications and achievements, in a professional and compelling manner.
Graduate Linux Network Developer
– Works under the direction of senior developers and architects
– Designs and implements robust, scalable, applications
– Writes structured and maintainable code that adheres to the prevailing programming style as directed
– Writes unit tests that exercise code and assert program correctness to improve overall quality
– Writes well documented code and contributes to external project documentation
– Communicates project status openly and honestly to project managers
– Collaborates with team members to foster a team environment where sharing is encouraged and practiced
– Provides regular updates of work in progress, e.g., hours worked, using tools such as Jira and designated internal systems