Interested applicants may apply through the Xilinx Jobs webpage for this position (IRC104124): http://bit.ly/1zuPClE
We are looking for an enthusiastic Director to manage an Embedded System Software team and run the Xilinx Brisbane Development Center.
Xilinx is a financially solid, $2+ billion, global All Programmable technology company with a growing investment in embedded software. The corporate culture is fast-moving and characterized by tenacious and driven teams who love solving hard technical problems and who value collaboration, ownership, and accountability.
You and your team own the development, verification, and integration of embedded software running on our award-winning Zynq All Programmable ARM-based SOC and our MicroBlaze soft processors. In this capacity, you will be directly involved in the architecture and productization of embedded software solutions for current and next-generation silicon products, working with a global team of engineers.
You will be responsible for our PetaLinux Tools product, Yocto meta-xilinx, and QEMU contributions. Guided by your software experience, you will provide input to the SOC Architecture team in the selection of IP blocks for next generation silicon. You will work with the Program Management team to deliver embedded software components in-line with the overall program schedule. You will work with the hardware engineering teams that develop silicon and soft IP. Across geographies and time zones, you will work with other teams to align on planning and execution. You will interact with 3rd party vendors and Ecosystem partners. You will be responsible for the Brisbane Development Center site logistics.
Overall, you will lead a growing team of embedded software engineers to deliver high-quality solutions to our customers and influence the future direction of embedded software at Xilinx.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Lead, motivate and manage the 9-person PetaLinux engineering team, consisting of senior and junior developers
* Monitor technology trends such as emerging standards for new technology opportunities
* Drive architecture of embedded software products at Xilinx. Establish technology guidelines based on best practices in architecture and embedded software development.
* Ensure reproducible software development and high quality through software engineering processes and best practices. Improve processes, procedures, and work flow.
* Work closely with Marketing and program managers to ensure development meets or exceeds customer requirements.
* Develop and execute software engineering plans, and manage software engineering schedules, resource allocation, and budget. This includes managing joint development with 3rd party vendors, and managing outsourced development.
* Engage in hands-on, in-depth analysis, review, and design of the software.
* Facilitate communications between the team and other off-site design centers.
* Support employee personal growth and provide team-building for the PetaLinux team
* Manage the Xilinx Brisbane Development Center site logistics
Education and Experience requirements:
* A Masters Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering is required
* 15 years of experience in embedded/system software development and management
---> At least 6 years of experience with advanced proficiency:
-------> Project management
-------> Global software development and delivery
-------> QA & end-to-end testing procedures.
---> At least 3 years as an architect/design lead
---> At least 5 years as a programmer.
---> At least 5 years of experience with Open Source Software development.
* Prior experience managing global development teams is preferred
* Demonstrated project experience with regard to estimates, planning and deliverables
* Proven ability to work with business, engineering and R&D teams to deliver high quality products
As an ideal candidate you have intrinsic knowledge about Open Source Linux development, the Linux kernel and drivers, bare metal and Linux application development for embedded systems, and in-depth knowledge of at least two more embedded operating systems other than Linux. You have managed the development of embedded software for silicon devices. You know the ins and outs of symmetric and asymmetric multi-processing systems, embedded hypervisors, and mixed/heterogeneous processor environments.
You are mastering source code management with GIT as well as other source code management systems. You bring a high level of expertise about Open Source development processes, upstreaming and mainlining, branch management, continuous integration, and debugging techniques. You have worked with system emulation and virtual development environments.
You consider verification and documentation as integral parts of the development process. You rely on automated regression testing to ensure the quality of the solutions your team develops. Your work is focused around customer requirements.
You have strong planning skills. You have experience assigning resources, managing and balancing multiple priorities, and executing against committed content and schedules. In addition you bring strong oral and written communication skills, have an open mind, good listening skills, and are a team player in a larger organization. You are a leader who empowers and energizes your team.