Planet Linux Australia

Syndicate content
Planet Linux Australia - http://planet.linux.org.au
Updated: 22 min 30 sec ago

Ben Martin: Terry & ROS

Tue, 2016-06-14 22:35
After a number of adventures I finally got a ROS stack setup so that move_base, amcl, and my robot base all like each other well enough for navigation to function. Luckily I added some structural support to the physical base as the self driving control is a little snappier than I normally tend to drive the robot by hand.

There was an upgrade from Indigo to Kinetic in the mix and the coupled update to Ubuntu Xenial to match the ROS platform update. I found a bunch of ROS packages that I used are not currently available for Kinetic, so had an expanding catkin ws for self compiled system packages to complete the update. Really cool stuff like rosserial wasn't available. Then I found that a timeout there caused a bunch of error messages about mismatched read sizes. I downgrade to the indigo version of rosserial and the error was still there, so I assume it relates to the various serial drivers in the Linux kernel doing different timing than they did before. Still, one would have hoped that rosserial was more resilient to multiple partial packet delivery. But with a timeout bump all works again. FWIW I've seen similar in boost, you try to read 60 bytes and get 43 then need to get that remaining 17 and stuff the excess in a readback buffer for the next packet read attempt. The boost one hit me going from 6 to 10 channel io to a rc receiver-to-uart arduino I created. The "joy" of low level io.

I found that the issues stopping navigation from working for me out of the box on Indigo were still there in Kinetic.  So I now have a very cool bit of knowledge to tell if somebody has navigation working or is just assuming that what one reads equals what will work out of the box.

Probably the next ROS thing will be trying to get a moveit stack for the mearm. I've got one of these cut and so will soon have it built. It seems like an ideal thing to work on MoveIt for because its a simple low cost arm that anybody can cut out and servo up. I've long wanted a simple tutorial on MoveIt for affordable arms. It might be that I'm the one writing that tutorial rather than just reading it.

Video and other goodness to follow. As usual, persistence it the key^TM.

OpenSTEM: Celebrating explorers!

Tue, 2016-06-14 15:03

We continue publishing resources on explorers, a very diverse range from around the world and throughout time.  Of course James Cook was an interesting person, but isn’t it great to also offer students an opportunity to investigate some other people that they hadn’t yet heard the name of?  It is good to show the diversity and how it wasn’t just Europeans who explored.

And did you spot our selection of female explorers? Unfortunately there aren’t that many, but they did awesome work. Nellie Bly is my personal favourite (pictured on the right). Such fabulous initiative.

As small introductory gift this month for those who haven’t yet got a subscription, use this special link to our Explorers category page  to get 50% off the price of one explorer resource PDF, some will then be only $1. If you have come to the site via the link, the discount will automatically be applied to your cart on checkout, to the most expensive item from the Explorer category.Alternatively you can use coupon code NL1606EXPL. This offer is only valid until end June 2016.

Which one will you choose? You can write a comment on this post: tell us which explorer, and why!

Linux Australia News: Council Minutes Tuesday 07 June 2016

Mon, 2016-06-13 13:01
Fri, 2016-06-03 19:36 - 20:43

1. Meeting overview and key information
Present
Hugh, Kathy, Katie, Cherie, Sae Ra

Apologies:
Tony, Craige

Meeting opened by Hugh at 1936hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of Hugh are correct
Moved: Kathy
Seconded: Cherie
2 abstention Carried

2. Log of correspondence
Motions moved on list
Nil

General correspondence

VPAC Closure
Email notice to be sent out.
ACTION complete, no further action

Insurance
UPDATE: Sohan was chased 25th April, awaiting update
UPDATE: an invoice has been sent. Kathy to raise the invoice and ping Sae Ra to approve in Westpac.
UPDATE: All now approved and paid

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Membership Team:
Kathy, chatted wtih Agileware and have asked for 2 quotes, 1 with trial quote and one with full hosting quote

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.
ACTION: Needs analysis of website feature requirements. Should we make things simpler?
Understanding the User Needs of the website
ACTION: Kathy to approach the Membership team Subcommittee.
Draft a survey to better understand the usage of the public facing website. The membership team is in progress.
ACTION Kathy to communicate with the Linux Aus List.
Survey has been sent out to the Linux Aus list.
Need to compile a summary of answers from the survey.
UPDATE: Survey has been completed, and key findings and recommendations sent to the Linux Aus list.
UPDATE: Survey was sentout to the LA list. Look at wireframes and look at candidate platforms. Tl:dr membership team have been doing stuff.
UPDATE: Quotes received from Agileware and DevApp regarding hosting of CiviCRM, Kathy currently following up.

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.
High Priority. Tony to update Action Register
UPDATE: still blocked by getting access to the NZ accounts.
UPDATE: Tony still attempting to engage with the bank
There is an outstanding amount for the Ellis’ that needs to be sorted.

Please refer to Action Items list for more items.

4. Items for discussion

Standing item: review activities list for new items
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/blob/master/activities-calendar.md

Call for bids for linux.conf.au 2019
ACTION: Tony to do the Python script magic and amend dates, then to formally announce the call for bids
In Progress

Informal request to Hugh from Ben Dechrai BuzzConf https://buzzconf.io/sponsor-buzzconf-2016/ asking if LA would consider sponsoring. Have said would float informally with Council in first instance.
Very much in the Linux Australia.
Excellent atmosphere.
It is not an open source event. Semi-corporate presenters.
There are no issues with the integrity or running of the event just not sure that LA should be sponsoring the event because it's not open source focussed.
IF buzzconf was to subscribe to the more open source of the way of things. It is more of a case of needing corporate sponsorship.
It is worth exploring further
Logo/visibility and what options are available etc. It would be worthwhile looking at numbers on what things we could provide.
ACTION: Hugh to have a chat with Ben
UPDATE: In Progress - Hugh to review action items from F2F re:amount and go from there.

Event Updates:
LCA2016 update
We believe we have processed all payments and finances
Event report well received. It also went to Geelong stakeholders.
Caught up with Donna Benjamin and donna now has the large format printer.

LCA2017 update
LCA2017 want to use a different payment provider, Stripe instead of SecurePay. Fees not significantly different.
ACTION: Tony to assess and respond to Chris Neugebauer, allowing us to use SecurePay in future if Stripe doesn’t work out
Papers committee up and running
3 On papers committee, 6/7 women, good diversity of employers
CfP sometime this month
Website/general graphics design took a little longer than expected but now pretty much sorted
F2F meeting at end of month, overall level of comfort high
May end handling accom. bookings themselves

LCA2018 update
LCA2018 team to be contacted re moving forward.

PyConAU update
In Progress

Drupal South Gold Coast 2016
Query from Jana if we have Not for Profit organisation
Register of stuff like are we NfP organisation
Kathy to follow-up with status.

OSDConf 2015
Post Event report released

GovHack
WEbsite has launched and looks spiffy. There are 30 events this year. Initial comms have gone out and sponsorship is on track.

JoomlaDay
In progress

DrupalGov
--

WordCamp Sunshine Coast 2016
Books can be closed.

WordCamp Sydney 2016
Very well organised and on top of everything

CiviCRM 2017 interested in aligning with LA
Nothing to report

5. Items for noting

6. Other business
6 Month check, how are we travelling.

Carried Over from Previous Minutes
Linux Australia as charity funds funnel?
It’s been raised that it would be nice to have Linux Australia (or something else?) as a local, tax deductible vessel via which Australian could donate directly to, for example, the Software Freedom Conservancy.
ACTION: Kathy to reach out to Jon, and try to partner with EFA in regards to Tax Deductible donations. Kathy to respond to the digital rights campaign email.

New Other Business
7. Other business carried from previous Council
ACTION: Cherie to review Minutes from F2F and add to next meeting agenda if further discussion required.

8. In Camera
2 items were discussed in camera

2043AEST close.

Linux Australia News: Council Minutes Thursday 18th February 2016

Mon, 2016-06-13 13:01
Thu, 2016-02-18 19:30 - 21:05

Welcome to the new Council.

1. Meeting overview and key information
Present
Kathy, Tony, Hugh, Craige, Katie, Sae Ra

Apologies:
Cherie

Meeting opened by Hugh Blemings at 1930hrs and quorum was achieved

ACTION: Sae Ra to follow-up with Cherie

MOTION that the previous minutes of 27 January are correct
Moved: Sae Ra
Seconded: Craige
Carried with 6 abstentions. Tony was not available for this call. Also new council was not in on this call.

2. Log of correspondence
Motions moved on list
Donation match to Give Where You Live for linux.conf.au Geelong 2016 in the amount $AUD 4840
MOTION by TONY BREEDS to approve up to $AUD8k expenditure to match funds raised by LCA2016 to be donated to the nominated charity.
SECONDED by HUGH BLEMINGS
Carried with 1 abstentions

EFA Donation in the amount $AUD 1500
MOTION by HUGH BLEMINGS That Linux Australia donate an amount of AU$1,500 to EFA to further the EFAs activities and build closer links between the two organisations.
SECONDED: KATHY REID
Carried

Motion to create a Membership team:
MOTION by KATHY REID That a subcommittee be formed in line with v1 of the Subcommittee policy https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/blob/master/subcommittee_policy_v1.md) to oversee and deliver requirements, options, recommendations and actions pertaining to the Membership platform of Linux Australia to be referred to as the "Membership Team" with initial members being;
Sae Ra Germaine
Cameron Tudball
Neill Cox
Michael Cordover
Luke John
Kathy Reid
SECONDED: TONY BREEDS
Passed with 1 abstention.

General correspondence
Update on progress of GovHack Subcommittee Policy and other GovHack related matters from RICHARD TUBB
Subcommittee policy to be reviewed as soon as it has been submitted by GovHack
Need to ensure we have correct insurance
ACTION: Kathy to prepare a event pack for events that are run under LA.

Discussion on list regarding LA Membership of Open Government Partnership

SIDE NOTE: Do we have a register anywhere of the organisations and partnerships of which Linux Australia is a member, and if we don’t then I (Kathy) am happy to put this together.
ACTION: Subcommittee register and a LA Member/Partnership register to be added in.

VPAC Closure
MemberDB is not hard to move. Most of linux.org.au. There’s a few LUG things/DNS stuff.
ACTION: Josh H to ping Steve
MemberDB is moved to a new host
Needs a quick code audit
Double check results of previous elections all match old host
Josh H to follow up with Steve any further work

Strategic Plan submitted by KATHY REID
Tabled
Good community discussion
Should be considered by 2016 council
MOTION by CHRIS N that we commend the strategic plan as written by KATHY REID for consideration by the 2016 council.
SECONDED: Joshua Hesketh
Passed unanimously

linux.com.au Renewal Notification from ENETICA - 90 days
Josh H to pay with LA debit card

Proposing that Linux Australia fund Software Freedom Conservancy by FRANCOIS MARIER
Defer for 2016 budget

LCA/EFA Social event

3. Review of action items from previous meetings
Request from infrastructure subcommittee for assistance around previous LCA websites.
ACTION: Sae Ra to work with Steve W around this
In Progress

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.
Discussion held about means of finding people willing to assist with both the maintenance of the website platform as well as the content available on this.
JOSH H to speak to Donna regarding this
UPDATE: Ongoing
UPDATE: to be moved to a general action item. To do a call for help to work on the website. Could this be treated as a project.
We need to at least get the website to D8 and automate the updating process.
ACTION: Josh to get a backup of the site to Craig
ACTION: Craige to stage the website to see how easy it is to update.
UPDATE: Craige to log in to the website to elevate permissions.
UPDATE: Still in progress
ACTION: Josh H to tarball the site.
Outstanding action
In Progress
Completed
ACTION: Craige to send key to Josh H
In progress.
Desire to do things as open as possible so that others can contributes
ACTION: Needs analysis of website feature requirements. Should we make things simpler?
Understanding the User Needs of the website
ACTION: Kathy to approach the Membership team Subcommittee.

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.
Update: Still in progress
Money shuffling is still required
High Priority. Tony to update Action REgister

ACTION: Josh H to follow-up on Invoices from WordCamp Sydney
UPDATE: Would be interested in changing the subcommittee structure for ongoing conferences. Conference committees to draft a policy.
UPDATE: Currently being followed up.
ACTION: Josh H to follow this up
Have received information back. Josh to continue following up.
News Limited is still outstanding
WordPress Foundation:
acts similarly as Linux Australia.
Runs multiple WordCamps in the US.
WordPress give access to names to, documentation and financial support to WordCamps outside of US and Australia.
There is a mandate for WordPress to not return a profit.
What to do with outstanding debt:
What to do in the future: WordPress foundation will act as a sponsor to the event.
If the event makes a loss. WordPress foundation is able to act as a safety net.
Debt outstanding for 2014:
MOTION by JOSH HESKETH we cancel the debt for the WordPress foundation for their sponsorship for WordCamp in Sydney
Seconded: Tony
Carried with 1 objection
ACTION: Josh H to Confirm Sponsorship with the WordCamp 2016 budget.
ACTION: Missing Payment from NewsCorp

Admin Team draft budget from STEVEN WALSH
UPDATE: Awaiting for a more firm budget
UPDATE: Still awaiting
UPDATE: Steve is on holidays and it will be followed up later.
UPDATE: Tony to follow up.
In Progress.
Use opportunity at LCA to onboard new admin team members if possible.

Please refer to Action Items list for more items.

4. Items for discussion
LCA2016 update
Looking to do another $65K of payments to be made.
Draft of the post-event report to be submitted
Significant positive feedback on the event
Very solid conference
Explanation of the speakers gifts.
Out of pocket expenses have been completed and reconciled.
MOTION HUGH, LA records its thanks for running a successful conference in Geelong.
Seconded: Katie

LCA2017 update
Ghosts. Dates are likely to be one of the first
Council to assist the creation of a list to who’s going to ghosts and what the best weekend is.
ACTION: Hugh to ping Chris re: Ghosts.
2 Keynotes have been locked in.
Chris N was awarded a grant of Python Software Foundation to work on a module for Symposium to replace the functionality of Zookeepr.

LCA2018 update
Request for VM and domain provisions
This has been passed on to the Admin team.
Need to vote a subcommittee, and the “community portion” of the subcommittee.
Need to formalise the budget with lower break even numbers.

PyConAU update
2nd deposit was paid.

Drupal South 2016
Formation process, they have a formed committee.
Conference is in November.

OSDConf 2015
few outside transactions in Xero
Need to seek a wrap up report

GovHack
29th of July-31st of July about a month later so that it is not held within School or University holidays
There will be State managers that will be overseeing the sites.
Richard Tubb is LA’s key contact.

JoomlaDay
Wrapped up, seeking a wrap-up report.

DrupalGov
Just ran last weekend.
Congratulations on a successful event.
need to seek a wrap-up report

WordCamp Sunshine Coast 2016
Formation process, they have a formed committee.
Budget to be confirmed.

5. Items for noting
NIL

6. Other business
Moving Meetings to IRC and Using MeetBot (Craige)
The usage of PLU’s for council meetings is a legacy of a time when no graceful solutions existed to facilitate meetings. Short of raising a motion, I would like to discuss how the rest of the council feels, conceptually, about moving meetings from PLU to IRC.
As I understand it, the PLU services are donated so there are no ongoing costs associated with continuing (can this be confirmed?)
Operationally, meetings run would be published immediately and automatically at the meeting’s close.
“In camera” items would need to be discussed post-meeting close.
Why?
Meeting minutes would be more accurate, more transparent and immediately published without taking up any additional council member’s time (free the secretary!).
Our meetings will be performed in line with many FOSS community meetings.
Example 1 meeting agenda.
Example 2 meeting logs.
Our meetings would be held in a very FOSS way that is consistent with our publicly stated values.
Our meeting agendas, sans “in Camera” items, would also be public in a way that is consistent with our publicly stated values.
If the council agreed in principal, I would move the motion that Craige be charged with working with the Admin Team to design and document how such a meeting system would both work in practice and implementation. This document would then be brought back to council for consideration of a trial implementation.
If a trial implementation is approved by council, at the conclusion of the trial period, the new system would be either adopted formally or rejected.
ACTION: Review the summary in April to see if this is something that LA would consider implementing. To be revisited in F2F

Admin Team transparency, accountability and scalability. Do we consider this a problem and what paths do we take to address it if we do?

FOSS As A Service - GNU Social
Many people wish to make greater use of Free and Open Source Software but do not have the time or the skills to run these services. It is a space that Linux Australia can potentially fill.
GNU Social, with it’s bi-directional Twitter and Facebook bridges is a simple, low-hanging fruit service that we could potentially offer our members.
In many respects, it offers superior communication to email, with members able to gracefully, create, opt in, opt out of conversation groups, such as policy, membership ctte or groups that they create organically as they desire (no mailman administration, no spam), if people want a group, they can make it happen.
It provides a low barrier of entry to the FOSS federated social networking paradigm that would actually be directly useful for our community as both a thought exercise and a practical communication tool.
It would help the LCA2017 team who are hoping to drive much of the social and conversational interaction / chatter away from Twitter and Email into GNU Social.
Like the item regarding MeetBot, I would like the council to have done the research and considered it’s position completely before any motion of implementation or trial is put before the broader community. I recognise that many of us have not used GNU Social before and perhaps have little or no understanding of the application and Federated Social networking conceptually. To that end, I would like to propose the following motion:
That Craige undertakes to write a document on GNU Social and Federated Social Networking, in collaboration with the Admin Team, on the council’s behalf that covers the following areas for their consideration:
How the membership would benefit from LA hosting such a service. What other hosting options are available.
How would the membership actually use the service, connect with Twitter, Facebook and other Federated Social Networks
How the service would be installed, managed on an ongoing basis and where it would be hosted.
How we would manage membership ie: whether the site be open or limited to Linux Australia members, etc.
ACTION: Craige to document the process and consult with the Admin Team.

New Mailing List Policy
ACTION: by Kathy Reid - to correct the Mailing List Policy pull requests to put it into Markdown format in pull request re: fix the technicality of the adding and removal of the Acknowledgement of Country

Proposed Code of Conduct Amendments, by Christopher Neugebauer
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/12 – “establishes that technology choices are not grounds for harassment of attendees of our events.”
ACTION: To be deferred to the next meeting
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/13 - “removes a "specific problem behaviour" that I believe was added to the code of conduct in jest several years ago, and has made it difficult to have meaningful discussions about the remainder of the provisions of the code of conduct.”
MOTION by Katie to accept the Pull request from Chris N.
Seconded: Craige
Carried with 2 abstentions.

Misc Pending Policy Pull Requests
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/15 Remove repeated second paragraph from Rationale

7. Other business carried from previous Council
Meetup payments for LCA, Humbug, LibrePlanet.
Clinton Roy has been funding the account.
We are currently paying for the SLUG meetup.
Deferred until current meetup account is evaluated and if it can use the LA account or if we have to create a new account.
LCA is now under the Linux Australia account
ACTION: Josh H to find out how to consume the other Meetup events: Humbug, LibrePlanet.
Humbug meetup has a subscription for the next 6 months.
James: to chase up with Clinton re LibrePlanet.
UPDATE: In Progress

Request from LUKE JOHN to Officially oppose the TPP
Action (Josh S): Reach out to Kim Weatherall

8. In Camera
2 items were discussed in camera.

2105PM close.

Linux Australia News: Council Minutes Tuesday 24th May 2016

Mon, 2016-06-13 13:01
Tue, 2016-05-24 19:35 - 20:30

1. Meeting overview and key information
Present
Kathy, Cherie, Tony, Hugh

Apologies:
Sae Ra

Meeting opened by Hugh at 1935hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 25 April are correct
Moved: Kathy
Seconded: Cherie
CARRIED with one abstention

2. Log of correspondence
Motions moved on list
None

General correspondence
None

VPAC Closure
Email notice to be sent out.
ACTION complete, no further action

Insurance
UPDATE: Sohan was chased 25th April, awaiting update
UPDATE: an invoice has been sent. Kathy to raise the invoice and ping Sae Ra to approve in Westpac.
UPDATE: All now approved and paid

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.
ACTION: Needs analysis of website feature requirements. Should we make things simpler?
Understanding the User Needs of the website
ACTION: Kathy to approach the Membership team Subcommittee.
Draft a survey to better understand the usage of the public facing website. The membership team is in progress.
ACTION Kathy to communicate with the Linux Aus List.
Survey has been sent out to the Linux Aus list.
Need to compile a summary of answers from the survey.
UPDATE: Survey has been completed, and key findings and recommendations sent to the Linux Aus list.
UPDATE: Survey was sentout to the LA list. Look at wireframes and look at candidate platforms. Tl:dr membership team have been doing stuff.
UPDATE: Quotes received from Agileware and DevApp regarding hosting of CiviCRM, Kathy currently following up.

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.
High Priority. Tony to update Action Register
UPDATE: still blocked by getting access to the NZ accounts.
UPDATE: Tony still attempting to engage with the bank

Please refer to Action Items list for more items.

4. Items for discussion

Standing item: review activities list for new items
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/blob/master/activities-calendar.md

Call for bids for linux.conf.au 2019
ACTION: Tony to do the Python script magic and amend dates, then to formally announce the call for bids

Informal request to Hugh from Ben Dechrai BuzzConf https://buzzconf.io/sponsor-buzzconf-2016/ asking if LA would consider sponsoring. Have said would float informally with Council in first instance.
Very much in the Linux Australia.
Excellent atmosphere.
It is not an open source event. Semi-corporate presenters.
There are no issues with the integrity or running of the event just not sure that LA should be sponsoring the event because it's not open source focussed.
IF buzzconf was to subscribe to the more open source of the way of things. It is more of a case of needing corporate sponsorship.
It is worth exploring further
Logo/visibility and what options are available etc. It would be worthwhile looking at numbers on what things we could provide.
ACTION: Hugh to have a chat with Ben
UPDATE: In Progress - Hugh to review action items from F2F re amount and go from there.

Event Updates:
LCA2016 update
ACTION: Kathy to send the event report

LCA2017 update
LCA2017 want to use a different payment provider, Stripe instead of SecurePay. Fees not significantly different.
ACTION: Tony to assess and respond to Chris Neugebauer, allowing us to use SecurePay in future if Stripe doesn’t work out

LCA2018 update
Email sent to ghosts: date issues, now options are 8th Jan or 25th, both have problems, not unsurmountable. Final dates TBC

PyConAU update
Earlybird sold out in 24 hours
All progressing well

Drupal South Gold Coast 2016
Cherie phoned Vlad and sent email asking what assistance is required, where they are in planning etc. ALso sent email to Donna B asking how involved she wants to be.
Westpac walkthrough date set

OSDConf 2015
A well written post event report went out. This item can likely now be removed from future agendas

GovHack
Email from Kathy
ACTION: Kathy to seek an informal indication of financial position so that we know the financial risk exposure.
Xero access: Tony to chat with auditor first. Accountant fees will be negligible. Once auditor meeting has happened, Jan’s bookkeeper will need to set up the separate instance.

JoomlaDay
Sponsorship outstanding
ACTION: Hugh to send another chasing email

DrupalGov
ACTION

WordCamp Sunshine Coast 2016
Nearly 200 pax, although 300 expected.
Bills appear to be paid
Possibly in black - accounts need to be completed
Kathy to watch for outstanding bills then close books
Post event report will follow (Kathy chasing up)

WordCamp Sydney 2016
Well organised, mature event team
Dates and venue locked in
Few $k in review already from ticket sales
Access to Xero complete
Should only require light touch

CiviCRM 2017 interested in aligning with LA
Tony suggested sponsoring
Agileware quote for hosting vgood (Kathy)

5. Items for noting

6. Other business

Carried Over from Previous Minutes
Linux Australia as charity funds funnel?
It’s been raised that it would be nice to have Linux Australia (or something else?) as a local, tax deductible vessel via which Australian could donate directly to, for example, the Software Freedom Conservancy.
ACTION: Kathy to reach out to Jon, and try to partner with EFA in regards to Tax Deductible donations. Kathy to respond to the digital rights campaign email.

New Other Business
7. Other business carried from previous Council
ACTION: Cherie to review Minutes from F2F and add to next meeting agenda if further discussion required.

8. In Camera
1 item was discussed in camera

2030AEST close.

Linux Australia News: Council Minutes Wednesday 13 January 2016

Mon, 2016-06-13 13:01
Wed, 2016-01-13 19:53 - Mon, 2016-06-13 20:39

1. Meeting overview and key information
Present
Josh H, Josh S, Tony, James, Chris N

Apologies:
Sae Ra, Craige M

Meeting opened by Joshua Hesketh at 19:53hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 30 December are correct
Moved: Joshua Hesketh
Seconded: Chris N
Passed 2 abstentions

2. Log of correspondence
Motions moved on list
Nil

General correspondence

VPAC Closure
MemberDB is not hard to move. Most of linux.org.au. There’s a few LUG things/DNS stuff.
ACTION: Josh H to ping Steve
MemberDB is moved to a new host
Needs a quick code audit
Double check results of previous elections all match old host
Josh H to follow up with Steve any further work

Strategic Plan submitted by KATHY REID
Tabled
Good community discussion
Should be considered by 2016 council
MOTION by CHRIS N that we commend the strategic plan as written by KATHY REID for consideration by the 2016 council.
SECONDED: Joshua Hesketh
Passed unanimously

linux.com.au Renewal Notification from ENETICA - 90 days
Josh H to pay with LA debit card

Proposing that Linux Australia fund Software Freedom Conservancy by FRANCOIS MARIER
Defer for 2016 budget

3. Review of action items from previous meetings
Request from infrastructure subcommittee for assistance around previous LCA websites.
ACTION: Sae Ra to work with Steve W around this
In Progress

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.
Discussion held about means of finding people willing to assist with both the maintenance of the website platform as well as the content available on this.
JOSH H to speak to Donna regarding this
UPDATE: Ongoing
UPDATE: to be moved to a general action item. To do a call for help to work on the website. Could this be treated as a project.
We need to at least get the website to D8 and automate the updating process.
ACTION: Josh to get a backup of the site to Craig
ACTION: Craige to stage the website to see how easy it is to update.
UPDATE: Craige to log in to the website to elevate permissions.
UPDATE: Still in progress
ACTION: Josh H to tarball the site.
Outstanding action
In Progress
Completed
ACTION: Craige to send key to Josh H
In progress.
Desire to do things as open as possible so that others can contributes
ACTION: Needs analysis of website feature requirements. Josh H to put together basic set of needs for sending to list as a starting point.

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.
Update: Still in progress
Money shuffling is still required

ACTION: Josh H to follow-up on Invoices from WordCamp Sydney
UPDATE: Would be interested in changing the subcommittee structure for ongoing conferences. Conference committees to draft a policy.
UPDATE: Currently being followed up.
ACTION: Josh H to follow this up
Have received information back. Josh to continue following up.
News Limited is still outstanding
WordPress Foundation:
acts similarly as Linux Australia.
Runs multiple WordCamps in the US.
WordPress give access to names to, documentation and financial support to WordCamps outside of US and Australia.
There is a mandate for WordPress to not return a profit.
What to do with outstanding debt:
What to do in the future: WordPress foundation will act as a sponsor to the event.
If the event makes a loss. WordPress foundation is able to act as a safety net.
Debt outstanding for 2014:
MOTION by JOSH HESKETH we cancel the debt for the WordPress foundation for their sponsorship for WordCamp in Sydney
Seconded: Tony
Carried with 1 objection
ACTION: Josh H to Confirm Sponsorship with the WordCamp 2016 budget.
Admin Team draft budget from STEVEN WALSH
UPDATE: Awaiting for a more firm budget
UPDATE: Still awaiting
UPDATE: Steve is on holidays and it will be followed up later.
UPDATE: Tony to follow up.
In Progress.
Use opportunity at LCA to onboard new admin team members if possible.
Please refer to Action Items list for more items.

4. Items for discussion
LCA2016 update
Good sale numbers, 95% sold
Keynotes all announced

LCA2017 update
Venue contract signed and deposit paid
Planning for ghosts need to be sooner rather than latter
Action (Josh H): Put together list of ghosts/council who should attend

LCA2018 update
Site visits went well

PyConAU update
Putting together miniconfs

Drupal South 2016
New budget to be discussed on list

OSDConf 2015
Last outstanding invoices being followed up
Team to put together closure report before LCA

GovHack
Waiting to hear back re a subcommittee policy that would be amicable

JoomlaDay
Action (Josh H): seek closure report
Finalise xero reconciliation

DrupalGov
Customer numbers to be arranged

WordCamp Sunshine Coast 2016
Action (Tony B): Bank accounts to be arranged

5. Items for noting
Meeting room for AGM has been booked.
Office bearers to write reports
Josh H to invite a returning officer

6. Other business
Meetup payments for LCA, Humbug, LibrePlanet.
Clinton Roy has been funding the account.
We are currently paying for the SLUG meetup.
Deferred until current meetup account is evaluated and if it can use the LA account or if we have to create a new account.
LCA is now under the Linux Australia account
ACTION: Josh H to find out how to consume the other Meetup events: Humbug, LibrePlanet.
Humbug meetup has a subscription for the next 6 months.
James: to chase up with Clinton re LibrePlanet.
UPDATE: In Progress

Council lunch at LCA2016
Josh H to arrange lunch for Monday
Tony to think about how to present his report

Request from LUKE JOHN to Officially oppose the TPP
Action (Josh S): Reach out to Kim Weatherall

7. In Camera
4 items were discussed in camera

20:39PM close.

Linux Australia News: Council Minutes Tuesday 1st March 2016

Mon, 2016-06-13 13:01
Tue, 2016-03-01 19:31 - 20:42

1. Meeting overview and key information
Present
Katie, Kathy (Chair), Sae Ra, Tony, Cherie, Craige,

Apologies:
Hugh

Meeting opened by Kathy at 2131hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 18 February are correct
Moved: Kathy
Seconded: Craige
Carried with 1 abstention

2. Log of correspondence

Motions moved on list
MOTION by Kathy Reid
That the changes to the Mailing List Policy to put it into Markdown
format in pull request
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/16
be approved and merged to Master
http://lists.linux.org.au/mailman/private/committee/2016-February/055548.html
Seconded: Tony breeds
Passed
Tony to merge.

General correspondence
PO Box Renewal - To be paid.

From Previous Meetings:
VPAC Closure
MemberDB is not hard to move. Most of linux.org.au. There’s a few LUG things/DNS stuff.
ACTION: Josh H to ping Steve
MemberDB is moved to a new host
Needs a quick code audit
Double check results of previous elections all match old host
Josh H to follow up with Steve any further work

Strategic Plan submitted by KATHY REID
Tabled
Good community discussion
Should be considered by 2016 council
MOTION by CHRIS N that we commend the strategic plan as written by KATHY REID for consideration by the 2016 council.
SECONDED: Joshua Hesketh
Passed unanimously

linux.com.au Renewal Notification from ENETICA - 90 days
Josh H to pay with LA debit card

Proposing that Linux Australia fund Software Freedom Conservancy by FRANCOIS MARIER
Defer for 2016 budget

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Request from infrastructure subcommittee for assistance around previous LCA websites.
ACTION: Sae Ra to work with Steve W around this
In Progress

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.
Discussion held about means of finding people willing to assist with both the maintenance of the website platform as well as the content available on this.
JOSH H to speak to Donna regarding this
UPDATE: Ongoing
UPDATE: to be moved to a general action item. To do a call for help to work on the website. Could this be treated as a project.
We need to at least get the website to D8 and automate the updating process.
ACTION: Josh to get a backup of the site to Craig
ACTION: Craige to stage the website to see how easy it is to update.
UPDATE: Craige to log in to the website to elevate permissions.
UPDATE: Still in progress
ACTION: Josh H to tarball the site.
Outstanding action
In Progress
Completed
ACTION: Craige to send key to Josh H
In progress.
Desire to do things as open as possible so that others can contributes
ACTION: Needs analysis of website feature requirements. Should we make things simpler?
Understanding the User Needs of the website
ACTION: Kathy to approach the Membership team Subcommittee.

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.
Update: Still in progress
Money shuffling is still required
High Priority. Tony to update Action REgister

ACTION: Josh H to follow-up on Invoices from WordCamp Sydney
UPDATE: Would be interested in changing the subcommittee structure for ongoing conferences. Conference committees to draft a policy.
UPDATE: Currently being followed up.
ACTION: Josh H to follow this up
Have received information back. Josh to continue following up.
News Limited is still outstanding
WordPress Foundation:
acts similarly as Linux Australia.
Runs multiple WordCamps in the US.
WordPress give access to names to, documentation and financial support to WordCamps outside of US and Australia.
There is a mandate for WordPress to not return a profit.
What to do with outstanding debt:
What to do in the future: WordPress foundation will act as a sponsor to the event.
If the event makes a loss. WordPress foundation is able to act as a safety net.
Debt outstanding for 2014:
MOTION by JOSH HESKETH we cancel the debt for the WordPress foundation for their sponsorship for WordCamp in Sydney
Seconded: Tony
Carried with 1 objection
ACTION: Josh H to Confirm Sponsorship with the WordCamp 2016 budget.
ACTION: Missing Payment from NewsCorp Assigned to Tony bReeds
Admin Team draft budget from STEVEN WALSH
UPDATE: Awaiting for a more firm budget
UPDATE: Still awaiting
UPDATE: Steve is on holidays and it will be followed up later.
UPDATE: Tony to follow up.
In Progress.
Use opportunity at LCA to onboard new admin team members if possible.

Please refer to Action Items list for more items.

ACTION: Kathy to create a Events checklist.

BAS was submitted and went through seamlessly.

4. Items for discussion

DrupalGov retrospective.
Kathy to follow up with Chris Skene and possibly connect with Donna Benjamin.
implementing a measure to make sure we have oversight over the committees. ACTION: Kathy to contact

Josh Hesketh that has a Credit Card and is a signatory to the bank accounts
MOTION by Kathy to keep Josh Hesketh as a signatory on LA Bank Accounts and approve his use of an LA Credit Card until such time that we have worked with Westpac to ensure that we have updated the signatories.
Seconded: Tony
Passed

Face to face timing and preparation - we should get the ball rolling on this.
Meeting in Melbourne.
ACTION Katie to Setup a doodle poll for an appropriate weekend for face-to-face

Event Updates:
LCA2016 update
Post event report drafted, awaiting some final financials before being distributed to Council
Most payments have now been made
Thank you certificates have gone out
Outstanding action items are:
upload slides
post-event report
archive the lca2016 website.

LCA2017 update
no new updates from last week.
ACTION: Craige to followup Chris’ westpac details.

LCA2018 update
Need to form the subcommittee to approve the budget and community members.
ACTION: Katie to run point with the team and follow-up
ACTION: to go onto the Face-to-face agenda.

PyConAU update
ACTION: Tony to take point.
The process around the CfP.

Drupal South 2016
ACTION: Kathy to take point.
Need to lock in a budget and to give the training.

OSDConf 2015
Post event report in progress.

GovHack
Sponsorship Agreement - for review
Subcommittee Policy - meeting to be convened, requesting participation from other Council members
Tony and Sae Ra to take point on behalf of LA to speak with GovHack.

JoomlaDay
Event has been finished. 1 sponsorship invoice is outstanding. Post event report to come.

DrupalGov
Not all information was gained. Information as above.

WordCamp Sunshine Coast 2016
Meeting with Luke
Need to get the team setup in the financial system and get them up and running on the event.

5. Items for noting
NIL

6. Other business
Linux Australia as charity funds funnel?
It’s been raised that it would be nice to have Linux Australia (or something else?) as a local, tax deductible vessel via which Australian could donate directly to, for example, the Software Freedom Conservancy.
ACTION: Kathy to reach out to Jon, and try to partner with EFA in regards to Tax Deductible donations. Kathy to respond to the digital rights campaign email.

FOSS As A Service - GNU Social - Moved to Action Items list

New Mailing List Policy - Moved to Action Items list

Proposed Code of Conduct Amendments, by Christopher Neugebauer
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/12 – “establishes that technology choices are not grounds for harassment of attendees of our events.”
ACTION: To be deferred to the next meeting
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/13 - “removes a "specific problem behaviour" that I believe was added to the code of conduct in jest several years ago, and has made it difficult to have meaningful discussions about the remainder of the provisions of the code of conduct.”
MOTION by Katie to accept the Pull request from Chris N.
Seconded: Craige
Carried with 2 abstentions.

Misc Pending Policy Pull Requests
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/15 Remove repeated second paragraph from Rationale
MOTION: by Katie to merge pull request #15
Seconded Tony
Passed

Enable SPF on mailing lists
as per mailing list conversations
Council to seek Admin Team’s advice.
MOTION: Kathy The change to SPF is reverted so we go back to the state we were at previously
Seconded: Cherie.
Carried.
ACTION: Kathy to liaise with Admin Team.

7. Other business carried from previous Council
Meetup payments for LCA, Humbug, LibrePlanet.
Clinton Roy has been funding the account.
We are currently paying for the SLUG meetup.
Deferred until current meetup account is evaluated and if it can use the LA account or if we have to create a new account.
LCA is now under the Linux Australia account
ACTION: Josh H to find out how to consume the other Meetup events: Humbug, LibrePlanet.
Humbug meetup has a subscription for the next 6 months.
James: to chase up with Clinton re LibrePlanet.
UPDATE: In Progress

Request from LUKE JOHN to Officially oppose the TPP
Action (Josh S): Reach out to Kim Weatherall
ACTION: Hugh to publish email.

8. In Camera
1 item was discussed in camera

2042PM Close

Linux Australia News: Council Minutes Tuesday 15th March 2016

Mon, 2016-06-13 13:01
Tue, 2016-03-15 19:36 - 20:45

1. Meeting overview and key information
Present
Hugh, Sae Ra, Katie, Cherie, Kathy

Apologies:
Tony, Craige,

Meeting opened by Hugh at 1936hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 1 March are correct
Moved: Kathy
Seconded: Cherie
Carried with 1 abstention

2. Log of correspondence
Motions moved on list
Nil

General correspondence

From Previous Meetings:
VPAC Closure
MemberDB is not hard to move. Most of linux.org.au. There’s a few LUG things/DNS stuff.
ACTION: Josh H to ping Steve
MemberDB is moved to a new host
Needs a quick code audit
Double check results of previous elections all match old host
Josh H to follow up with Steve any further work

Strategic Plan submitted by KATHY REID
Tabled
Good community discussion
Should be considered by 2016 council
MOTION by CHRIS N that we commend the strategic plan as written by KATHY REID for consideration by the 2016 council.
SECONDED: Joshua Hesketh
Passed unanimously

linux.com.au Renewal Notification from ENETICA - 90 days
Josh H to pay with LA debit card
UPDATE: Kathy has paid this with her LA debit card, can be removed from agenda

Proposing that Linux Australia fund Software Freedom Conservancy by FRANCOIS MARIER
Defer for 2016 budget

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Request from infrastructure subcommittee for assistance around previous LCA websites.
ACTION: Sae Ra to work with Steve W around this
In Progress
Sae RA to drop a line to STeve

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.
Discussion held about means of finding people willing to assist with both the maintenance of the website platform as well as the content available on this.
JOSH H to speak to Donna regarding this
UPDATE: Ongoing
UPDATE: to be moved to a general action item. To do a call for help to work on the website. Could this be treated as a project.
We need to at least get the website to D8 and automate the updating process.
ACTION: Josh to get a backup of the site to Craig
ACTION: Craige to stage the website to see how easy it is to update.
UPDATE: Craige to log in to the website to elevate permissions.
UPDATE: Still in progress
ACTION: Josh H to tarball the site.
Outstanding action
In Progress
Completed
ACTION: Craige to send key to Josh H
In progress.
Desire to do things as open as possible so that others can contributes
ACTION: Needs analysis of website feature requirements. Should we make things simpler?
Understanding the User Needs of the website
ACTION: Kathy to approach the Membership team Subcommittee.
Draft a survey to better understand the usage of the public facing website. The membership team is in progress.
ACTION Kathy to communicate with the Linux Aus List.

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.
Update: Still in progress
Money shuffling is still required
High Priority. Tony to update Action Register

ACTION: Josh H to follow-up on Invoices from WordCamp Sydney
UPDATE: Would be interested in changing the subcommittee structure for ongoing conferences. Conference committees to draft a policy.
UPDATE: Currently being followed up.
ACTION: Josh H to follow this up
Have received information back. Josh to continue following up.
News Limited is still outstanding
WordPress Foundation:
acts similarly as Linux Australia.
Runs multiple WordCamps in the US.
WordPress give access to names to, documentation and financial support to WordCamps outside of US and Australia.
There is a mandate for WordPress to not return a profit.
What to do with outstanding debt:
What to do in the future: WordPress foundation will act as a sponsor to the event.
If the event makes a loss. WordPress foundation is able to act as a safety net.
Debt outstanding for 2014:
MOTION by JOSH HESKETH we cancel the debt for the WordPress foundation for their sponsorship for WordCamp in Sydney
Seconded: Tony
Carried with 1 objection
ACTION: Josh H to Confirm Sponsorship with the WordCamp 2016 budget.
ACTION: Missing Payment from NewsCorp Assigned to Tony bReeds

Admin Team draft budget from STEVEN WALSH
UPDATE: Awaiting for a more firm budget
UPDATE: Still awaiting
UPDATE: Steve is on holidays and it will be followed up later.
UPDATE: Tony to follow up.
In Progress.
Use opportunity at LCA to onboard new admin team members if possible.

Please refer to Action Items list for more items.

ACTION: Kathy to create a Events checklist.

BAS was submitted and went through seamlessly.

4. Items for discussion

Kathy to follow up with Chris Skene and possibly connect with Donna Benjamin.
implementing a measure to make sure we have oversight over the committees. ACTION: Kathy to contact

Josh Hesketh that has a Credit Card and is a signatory to the bank accounts
MOTION by Kathy to keep Josh Hesketh as a signatory on LA Bank Accounts and approve his use of an LA Credit Card until such time that we have worked with Westpac to ensure that we have updated the signatories.
Seconded: Tony
Passed

Face to face timing and preparation - we should get the ball rolling on this.
Meeting in Melbourne.
ACTION Katie to Setup a doodle poll for an appropriate weekend for face-to-face
7th/8th May
ACTION: Kathy to invite Josh H to Face to FAce.

Our insurance coverage ends on 19th April 2016, we might want to discuss renewal and coverage as we only have about a month to renew

During F2F discussions, I'd like to suggest that Josh Hesketh is invited to May F2F (if he's available / willing) to provide good handover and guidance

GovHack in general - ie recapping Council on the Friday night discussion
View to form GovHack Australia as a subcommittee of Linux Australia. Went through the rundown of how things work, legalities, all went smoothly. Part of the conversation was around the autonomy of GovHack. GovHack to come to LA with a subcommittee policy. Community Membership, for oversight.

Membership committee next actions - recapping Council on the Thursday night discussion
As discussed.

Informal request to Hugh from Ben Dechrai BuzzConf https://buzzconf.io/sponsor-buzzconf-2016/ asking if LA would consider sponsoring. Have said would float informally with Council in first instance.
Very much in the Linux Australia.
Excellent atmosphere.
It is not an open source event. Semi-corporate presenters.
There are no issues with the integrity or running of the event just not sure that LA should be sponsoring the event because it's not open source focussed.
IF buzzconf was to subscribe to the more open source of the way of things. It is more of a case of needing corporate sponsorship.
It is worth exploring further
Logo/visibility and what options are available etc. It would be worthwhile looking at numbers on what things we could provide.
Hugh to have a chat with Ben Dechrai

Event Updates:

LCA2016 update
Geelong Debrief (email from Josh H): ”I think it's useful for LCA teams to do a debrief style ghosts meeting with either a rep from the council or a ghost”
To take back to David

LCA2017 update
Ghosts has been organised. 16/17th April.
ACTION: Hugh ask for an update regarding Zookeepr.

LCA2018 update
Need to form the subcommittee to approve the budget and community members.
ACTION: Katie to run point with the team and follow-up
ACTION: to go onto the Face-to-face agenda.
Seem to be working along, domains etc.

PyConAU update
ACTION: Tony to take point.
CfP is about to open.

Drupal South 2016
ACTION: Kathy to take point.
Need to lock in a budget and to give the training.
Kathy to reach out.

OSDConf 2015
Post event report in progress.

GovHack
Sponsorship Agreement - for review
Subcommittee Policy - meeting to be convened, requesting participation from other Council members
Tony and Sae Ra to take point on behalf of LA to speak with GovHack.

JoomlaDay
Event has been finished. 1 sponsorship invoice is outstanding. Post event report to come.

DrupalGov
Covered by Kathy

WordCamp Sunshine Coast 2016
Meeting with Luke
Need to get the team setup in the financial system and get them up and running on the event.
Really professional vibe. Added to the website. We need to get them Xero access. Venue, sponsors etcs

WordCamp Sydney 2016
Monday 21st Kathy will talk to them re subcommittee policy.

5. Items for noting
PO Box and Mail Redirection has been paid on Kathy’s CC.

6. Other business
Linux Australia as charity funds funnel?
It’s been raised that it would be nice to have Linux Australia (or something else?) as a local, tax deductible vessel via which Australian could donate directly to, for example, the Software Freedom Conservancy.
ACTION: Kathy to reach out to Jon, and try to partner with EFA in regards to Tax Deductible donations. Kathy to respond to the digital rights campaign email.

FOSS As A Service - GNU Social - Moved to Action Items list

New Mailing List Policy - Moved to Action Items list

Proposed Code of Conduct Amendments, by Christopher Neugebauer
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/12 – “establishes that technology choices are not grounds for harassment of attendees of our events.”
ACTION: To be deferred to Face-to-Face
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/13 - “removes a "specific problem behaviour" that I believe was added to the code of conduct in jest several years ago, and has made it difficult to have meaningful discussions about the remainder of the provisions of the code of conduct.”
MOTION by Katie to accept the Pull request from Chris N.
Seconded: Craige
Carried with 2 abstentions.

Misc Pending Policy Pull Requests
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/15 Remove repeated second paragraph from Rationale
MOTION: by Katie to merge pull request #15
Seconded Tony
Passed

Enable SPF on mailing lists
as per mailing list conversations
Council to seek Admin Team’s advice.
MOTION: Kathy The change to SPF is reverted so we go back to the state we were at previously
Seconded: Cherie.
Carried.
ACTION: Kathy to liaise with Admin Team.
UPDATE: Kathy emailed Admin Team 15th March for advice, awaiting advice
Emailed admin team.

Insurance Policy:
Is our coverage adequate?
Is there any extensions we need to
ACTION: Kathy to make the call to pay the insurance like for like.

7. Other business carried from previous Council
Meetup payments for LCA, Humbug, LibrePlanet.
Clinton Roy has been funding the account.
We are currently paying for the SLUG meetup.
Deferred until current meetup account is evaluated and if it can use the LA account or if we have to create a new account.
LCA is now under the Linux Australia account
ACTION: Josh H to find out how to consume the other Meetup events: Humbug, LibrePlanet.
Humbug meetup has a subscription for the next 6 months.
James: to chase up with Clinton re LibrePlanet.
UPDATE: In Progress

Request from LUKE JOHN to Officially oppose the TPP
Confirmed. Hugh to put the wording around to a thank you and announcement.

8. In Camera
Nil items were discussed in camera

2045PM AEDST close.

Linux Australia News: Council Minutes Tuesday 26th April 2016

Mon, 2016-06-13 13:01
Tue, 2016-04-26 19:37 - 20:36

1. Meeting overview and key information
Present
Kathy, Cherie, Katie, Sae Ra

Apologies:
Tony, Craige, Hugh,

Meeting opened by Kathy at 1937hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 12 April are correct
Moved: Katie
Seconded: Sae Ra
Carried with 1 abstention

2. Log of correspondence
Motions moved on list
3 Motions
MOTION by KATHY REID that the GovHack 2016 budget provided by GovHack Subcommittee, and which is assumed to be approved by GovHack Subcommittee, is approved on condition that the following changes are made:
The midline budget should be refactored to estimate a 10% increase in revenue, not a 15% increase in revenue
An expense of $4k should be budgeted to help cover LA Xero / insurance costs
The current contingency should remain
Seconded by SAE RA GERMAINE
Carried

MOTION by KATHY REID that the Event Checklist be pulled into the Policies and Constitution repository to act as a guide for event teams and LA
Seconded by SAE RA GERMAINE
Carried
UPDATE: This has been merged to master on GitHub.

MOTION by KATHY REID that the proposed GovHack Subcommittee policy be approved as the basis on which a GovHack Subcommittee can be formed, replacing in this instance the existing Subcommittee Policy due to the special requirements of the GovHack Subcommittee
Seconded by SAE RA GERMAINE
Carried
ACTION: Kathy to work with Tony. The markdown format of this Subcommittee Policy needs to be PRd and merged to master branch on GitHub. Tony has the markdown format, just needs a PR and a merge.

General correspondence
VPAC Closure
Email notice to be sent out.
MOTION by KATHY REID: that Linux Australia would like to thank the Linux Australia Admin for their quick response and tireless efforts in keeping the Linux Australia infrastructure up and running.
Seconded: KATIE
Carried

MOTION by KATHY REID should the spam thread become more heated that Linux Australia Council to place the list in moderation.
Seconded: KATIE
Carried

Insurance
UPDATE: Sohan was chased 25th April, awaiting update
UPDATE: an invoice has been sent. Kathy to raise the invoice and ping Sae Ra to approve in Westpac.

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Request from infrastructure subcommittee for assistance around previous LCA websites.
ACTION: Sae Ra to work with Steve W around this
In Progress
Sae Ra to drop a line to Steve

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.
ACTION: Needs analysis of website feature requirements. Should we make things simpler?
Understanding the User Needs of the website
ACTION: Kathy to approach the Membership team Subcommittee.
Draft a survey to better understand the usage of the public facing website. The membership team is in progress.
ACTION Kathy to communicate with the Linux Aus List.
Survey has been sent out to the Linux Aus list.
Need to compile a summary of answers from the survey.
UPDATE: Survey has been completed, and key findings and recommendations sent to the Linux Aus list.
UPDATE: Survey was sentout to the LA list. Look at wireframes and look at candidate platforms. Tl:dr membership team have been doing stuff.

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.
High Priority. Tony to update Action Register
UPDATE: still blocked by getting access to the NZ accounts.

Please refer to Action Items list for more items.

4. Items for discussion

Face to face timing and preparation - we should get the ball rolling on this.
Meeting in Melbourne.
ACTION Katie to Setup a doodle poll for an appropriate weekend for face-to-face
7th/8th May
ACTION: Kathy to invite Josh H to Face to Face.
UPDATE: Josh H has confirmed availability for F2F, he is happy to arrive the Friday night and participate for the full weekend. He is awaiting location / accommodation details.
Key items for preparation is accommodation and travel.
ACTION: Tony for travel
ACTION: Kathy for accommodation
FOR DISCUSSION: Agenda items for discussion, adding phone numbers to agenda. Do we want to prioritise agenda items?
ACTION Kathy: Make sure Josh H has the agenda.

Informal request to Hugh from Ben Dechrai BuzzConf https://buzzconf.io/sponsor-buzzconf-2016/ asking if LA would consider sponsoring. Have said would float informally with Council in first instance.
Very much in the Linux Australia.
Excellent atmosphere.
It is not an open source event. Semi-corporate presenters.
There are no issues with the integrity or running of the event just not sure that LA should be sponsoring the event because it's not open source focussed.
IF buzzconf was to subscribe to the more open source of the way of things. It is more of a case of needing corporate sponsorship.
It is worth exploring further
Logo/visibility and what options are available etc. It would be worthwhile looking at numbers on what things we could provide.
ACTION: Hugh to have a chat with Ben
UPDATE: In Progress.

Event Updates:
LCA2016 update
Council to formally review the post-event report. And determine if this needs to be sent to the list
Organise debrief.

LCA2017 update
Ghosts:
Was very successful.
The history of the venue is there and the running of it should be smooth.
Admin team is up to speed. The running of the conference will be great.

LCA2018 update
ACTION: Katie to chase up the team for information before face-to-face

PyConAU update
Deferred to next teleconference

Drupal South Gold Coast 2016
Cherie to be the point person for this.
ACTION: Kathy to take on the action item spreadsheet.

OSDConf 2015
ACTION: Katie review the event report, and if we should be releasing the report.

GovHack
Seem to be speeding along.
GovHack NZ are doing wonderful things.

JoomlaDay
Nothing to report.

DrupalGov
Outstanding reimbursement
ACTION Kathy: Outstanding reimbursement

WordCamp Sunshine Coast 2016
Just under 2 weeks until show time. They are ready to go.
ACTION Kathy: check to see how things are going.

WordCamp Sydney 2016
Ticking along really well. There’s a little bit of an issue with finance access. All should now be resolved.

5. Items for noting
Nil items for noting

6. Other business
Carried Over from Previous Minutes
Linux Australia as charity funds funnel?
It’s been raised that it would be nice to have Linux Australia (or something else?) as a local, tax deductible vessel via which Australian could donate directly to, for example, the Software Freedom Conservancy.
ACTION: Kathy to reach out to Jon, and try to partner with EFA in regards to Tax Deductible donations. Kathy to respond to the digital rights campaign email.

FOSS As A Service - GNU Social - Moved to Action Items list

7. In Camera
1 item was discussed in camera

2036AEST close.

Linux Australia News: Council Minutes Wednesday 27 January 2016

Mon, 2016-06-13 13:01
Wed, 2016-01-27 19:47 - 21:23

1. Meeting overview and key information
Present
Chris, Josh H, Sae Ra G, Josh S

Apologies:
James Iseppi, Tony B

Meeting opened by Josh Hat 1947hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 13 January are correct
Moved: Josh H
Seconded: Chris
carried with 1 abstention

2. Log of correspondence
Motions moved on list
MOTION by JOSHUA HESKETH to approve admin-team's request for no more than $970 to purchase replacement parts for HP server and new disks.
SECONDED SAE RA GERMAINE
PASSED

General correspondence

VPAC Closure
MemberDB is not hard to move. Most of linux.org.au. There’s a few LUG things/DNS stuff.
ACTION: Josh H to ping Steve
MemberDB is moved to a new host
Needs a quick code audit
Double check results of previous elections all match old host
Josh H to follow up with Steve any further work
Work will be conducted whilst they are in Melbourne

Strategic Plan submitted by KATHY REID
Tabled
Good community discussion
Should be considered by 2016 council
MOTION by CHRIS N that we commend the strategic plan as written by KATHY REID for consideration by the 2016 council.
SECONDED: Joshua Hesketh
Passed unanimously

linux.com.au Renewal Notification from ENETICA - 90 days
Josh H to pay with LA debit card by the end of other week.

Proposing that Linux Australia fund Software Freedom Conservancy by FRANCOIS MARIER
Defer for 2016 budget
There is only a few days left whilst donations are being matched.
MOTION JOSH H: The 2015 LA Council recommends that the incoming council to highly consider to donate to the Conservancy once a budget is in place.
Seconded: Sae Ra Germaine
Passed

LCA/EFA Social event
Donation to occur.
MOTION by JOSH HESKETH LA donate $1500 to the EFA
Seconded Josh S
Carried.

Payment of ATO
Completed.

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Request from infrastructure subcommittee for assistance around previous LCA websites.
ACTION: Sae Ra to work with Steve W around this
In Progress
This has been completed and to be removed from the agenda

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.
Discussion held about means of finding people willing to assist with both the maintenance of the website platform as well as the content available on this.
JOSH H to speak to Donna regarding this
UPDATE: Ongoing
UPDATE: to be moved to a general action item. To do a call for help to work on the website. Could this be treated as a project.
We need to at least get the website to D8 and automate the updating process.
ACTION: Josh to get a backup of the site to Craig
ACTION: Craige to stage the website to see how easy it is to update.
UPDATE: Craige to log in to the website to elevate permissions.
UPDATE: Still in progress
ACTION: Josh H to tarball the site.
Outstanding action
In Progress
Completed
ACTION: Craige to send key to Josh H
In progress.
Desire to do things as open as possible so that others can contributes
ACTION: Needs analysis of website feature requirements. Josh H to put together basic set of needs for sending to list as a starting point.
To be removed from the agenda.

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.
Update: Still in progress
Money shuffling is still required
In progress.

ACTION: Josh H to follow-up on Invoices from WordCamp Sydney
UPDATE: Would be interested in changing the subcommittee structure for ongoing conferences. Conference committees to draft a policy.
UPDATE: Currently being followed up.
ACTION: Josh H to follow this up
Have received information back. Josh to continue following up.
News Limited is still outstanding
WordPress Foundation:
acts similarly as Linux Australia.
Runs multiple WordCamps in the US.
WordPress give access to names to, documentation and financial support to WordCamps outside of US and Australia.
There is a mandate for WordPress to not return a profit.
What to do with outstanding debt:
What to do in the future: WordPress foundation will act as a sponsor to the event.
If the event makes a loss. WordPress foundation is able to act as a safety net.
Debt outstanding for 2014:
MOTION by JOSH HESKETH we cancel the debt for the WordPress foundation for their sponsorship for WordCamp in Sydney
Seconded: Tony
Carried with 1 objection
ACTION: Josh H to Confirm Sponsorship with the WordCamp 2016 budget.
One outstanding invoice
No progress.
Admin Team draft budget from STEVEN WALSH
UPDATE: Awaiting for a more firm budget
UPDATE: Still awaiting
UPDATE: Steve is on holidays and it will be followed up later.
UPDATE: Tony to follow up.
In Progress.
Use opportunity at LCA to onboard new admin team members if possible.

Please refer to Action Items list for more items.

4. Items for discussion

LCA2016 update
Sold out
Everything is tracking well
5 days to go.

LCA2017 update
Presentation for Geelong to be prepared.
In Progress.
Subcommittee members:
Community members to be council members
Ghosts list has also been collated.

LCA2018 update
Site visits has occurred and went well.

PyConAU update
Westpac access has gone through
Budget has been accepted.

Drupal South 2016
Budget was passed within the subcommittee with 1 abstention
MOTION: JOSH Approve the budget as proposed by Vladimir on the 27th of January
Seconded: Sae Ra
Passed.

OSDConf 2015
Awaiting a closure report. Nothing new from the last fortnight

GovHack
Subcommittee policy has been put forward.
2016 Council will need to work with the GovHack team to form this subcommittee.

JoomlaDay
Seeking a closure report.
Check payment of invoices

DrupalGov
Requires access to Westpac.

WordCamp Sunshine Coast 2016
Requires access to Westpac.

5. Items for noting
Meeting room for AGM has been booked.
Office bearers to write reports
Josh H to invite a returning officer.
Josh to invite Terry Dawson

6. Other business
Meetup payments for LCA, Humbug, LibrePlanet.
Clinton Roy has been funding the account.
We are currently paying for the SLUG meetup.
Deferred until current meetup account is evaluated and if it can use the LA account or if we have to create a new account.
LCA is now under the Linux Australia account
ACTION: Josh H to find out how to consume the other Meetup events: Humbug, LibrePlanet.
Humbug meetup has a subscription for the next 6 months.
James: to chase up with Clinton re LibrePlanet.
UPDATE: In Progress
To be removed from future agendas.

Council lunch at LCA2016
Josh H to arrange lunch for Monday
Tony to think about how to present his report
Council dinner to occur the

Request from LUKE JOHN to Officially oppose the TPP
Action (Josh S): Reach out to Kim Weatherall
In Progress

7. In Camera
5 items were discussed in camera

2123PM close

Linux Australia News: Council Minutes Tuesday 29th March 2016

Mon, 2016-06-13 13:01
Tue, 2016-03-29 19:31 - 21:00

1. Meeting overview and key information
Present
Hugh, Sae Ra, Kathy, Cherie, Tony

Apologies:
Katie, Craige

Meeting opened by Hugh at 1931hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 15 March are correct
Moved: Cherie
Seconded: Kathy
Carried with 1 abstention

2. Log of correspondence
Motions moved on list
1 Motion Pending

MOTION by Kathy Reid that in alignment with the Subcommittee Policy (v2) a Subcommittee is formed to run WordCamp Sydney 2016 with the following membership;

Wil Brown (chair) -
Kristen Symonds (treasurer) -
Peter Shilling (organiser) -
James Carmody (organiser) -
Isabel Brison (organiser) -
Jude Love (organiser) -
Dion Beetson (organiser) -
Dee Teal (community rep) -
Peter Bui (community rep) -

SECONDED: Tony Breeds
Passed unanimously.

General correspondence

GovHack Subcommittee policy
ACTION:
Kathy to Draft the motion
Suggest the changes to govhack on the termination terms to 30 days to return any finances when starting the partnership.

From Previous Meetings:
VPAC Closure
MemberDB is not hard to move. Most of linux.org.au. There’s a few LUG things/DNS stuff.
ACTION: Josh H to ping Steve
MemberDB is moved to a new host
Needs a quick code audit
Double check results of previous elections all match old host
Josh H to follow up with Steve any further work
ACTION: Sae Ra to ping steve.

Proposing that Linux Australia fund Software Freedom Conservancy by FRANCOIS MARIER
Defer for 2016 F2F - Removed from the Council Agenda.

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Request from infrastructure subcommittee for assistance around previous LCA websites.
ACTION: Sae Ra to work with Steve W around this
In Progress
Sae Ra to drop a line to Steve

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.
ACTION: Needs analysis of website feature requirements. Should we make things simpler?
Understanding the User Needs of the website
ACTION: Kathy to approach the Membership team Subcommittee.
Draft a survey to better understand the usage of the public facing website. The membership team is in progress.
ACTION Kathy to communicate with the Linux Aus List.
Survey has been sent out to the Linux Aus list.
Need to compile a summary of answers from the survey.

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.
Update: Still in progress
Money shuffling is still required
High Priority. Tony to update Action Register
UPDATE: still blocked by getting access to the NZ accounts.

ACTION: Josh H to follow-up on Invoices from WordCamp Sydney
ACTION: Missing Payment from NewsCorp Assigned to Tony Breeds
Payment has now been received.

Admin Team draft budget from STEVEN WALSH
UPDATE: Awaiting for a more firm budget
UPDATE: Still awaiting
UPDATE: Steve is on holidays and it will be followed up later.
UPDATE: Tony to follow up.
In Progress.
ACTION: Sae Ra to ask Steve

Please refer to Action Items list for more items.

ACTION: Kathy to create a Events checklist.

4. Items for discussion

Kathy to follow up with Chris Skene and possibly connect with Donna Benjamin.
implementing a measure to make sure we have oversight over the committees.
ACTION: Kathy to contact
Eventbrite payment has been chased. And post event report is sought.

Face to face timing and preparation - we should get the ball rolling on this.
Meeting in Melbourne.
ACTION Katie to Setup a doodle poll for an appropriate weekend for face-to-face
7th/8th May
ACTION: Kathy to invite Josh H to Face to Face.
UPDATE: Josh H has confirmed availability for F2F, he is happy to arrive the Friday night and participate for the full weekend. He is awaiting location / accommodation details.
Key items for preparation is accommodation and travel.
ACTION: Tony for travel
ACTION: Kathy for accommodation

Our insurance coverage ends on 19th April 2016, we might want to discuss renewal and coverage as we only have about a month to renew

GovHack in general - ie recapping Council on the Friday night discussion
View to form GovHack Australia as a subcommittee of Linux Australia. Went through the rundown of how things work, legalities, all went smoothly. Part of the conversation was around the autonomy of GovHack. GovHack to come to LA with a subcommittee policy. Community Membership, for oversight.

Membership committee next actions - recapping Council on the Thursday night discussion

Informal request to Hugh from Ben Dechrai BuzzConf https://buzzconf.io/sponsor-buzzconf-2016/ asking if LA would consider sponsoring. Have said would float informally with Council in first instance.
Very much in the Linux Australia.
Excellent atmosphere.
It is not an open source event. Semi-corporate presenters.
There are no issues with the integrity or running of the event just not sure that LA should be sponsoring the event because it's not open source focussed.
IF buzzconf was to subscribe to the more open source of the way of things. It is more of a case of needing corporate sponsorship.
It is worth exploring further
Logo/visibility and what options are available etc. It would be worthwhile looking at numbers on what things we could provide.
ACTION: Hugh to have a chat with Ben
UPDATE: In Progress.

Schwag options for Linux Australia to send out to events.

Event Updates:

LCA2016 update
Previous Meeting
Geelong Debrief (email from Josh H): ”I think it's useful for LCA teams to do a debrief style ghosts meeting with either a rep from the council or a ghost”
To take back to David

LCA2017 update
Previous Meeting
Ghosts has been organised. 16/17th April.
ACTION: Hacking away.

LCA2018 update
Previous Meeting
Need to form the subcommittee to approve the budget and community members.
ACTION: Katie to run point with the team and follow-up
ACTION: to go onto the Face-to-face agenda.
Seem to be working along, domains etc.

PyConAU update
Previous Meeting
ACTION: Tony to take point.
CfP is about to open.
Arranging Keynotes.

Drupal South 2016
Previous Meeting
ACTION: Kathy to take point.
Need to lock in a budget and to give the training.
Kathy to reach out.

OSDConf 2015
Previous Meeting
Post event report in progress.

GovHack
Previous Meeting
Sponsorship Agreement - for review
Subcommittee Policy - meeting to be convened, requesting participation from other Council members
Tony and Sae Ra to take point on behalf of LA to speak with GovHack.

JoomlaDay
Tony to ping the organisers.
Previous Meeting
Event has been finished. 1 sponsorship invoice is outstanding. Post event report to come.

DrupalGov
Previously covered.
Previous Meeting
Covered by Kathy

WordCamp Sunshine Coast 2016
Previous Meeting
Meeting with Luke
Need to get the team setup in the financial system and get them up and running on the event.
Really professional vibe. Added to the website. We need to get them Xero access. Venue, sponsors etcs

WordCamp Sydney 2016
Kathy to communicate.
Previous Meeting
Monday 21st Kathy will talk to them re subcommittee policy.

5. Items for noting
Nil

6. Other business
MemberDB
Emails have been sent out regarding the survey. Follow-up will be provided once results have been collated.

Carried Over from Previous Minutes
Linux Australia as charity funds funnel?
It’s been raised that it would be nice to have Linux Australia (or something else?) as a local, tax deductible vessel via which Australian could donate directly to, for example, the Software Freedom Conservancy.
ACTION: Kathy to reach out to Jon, and try to partner with EFA in regards to Tax Deductible donations. Kathy to respond to the digital rights campaign email.

FOSS As A Service - GNU Social - Moved to Action Items list

New Mailing List Policy - Moved to Action Items list

Proposed Code of Conduct Amendments, by Christopher Neugebauer
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/12 – “establishes that technology choices are not grounds for harassment of attendees of our events.”
ACTION: To be deferred to Face-to-Face
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/13 - “removes a "specific problem behaviour" that I believe was added to the code of conduct in jest several years ago, and has made it difficult to have meaningful discussions about the remainder of the provisions of the code of conduct.”
MOTION by Katie to accept the Pull request from Chris N.
Seconded: Craige
Carried with 2 abstentions.
Misc Pending Policy Pull Requests
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/15 Remove repeated second paragraph from Rationale
MOTION: by Katie to merge pull request #15
Seconded Tony
Passed

Enable SPF on mailing lists
as per mailing list conversations
Council to seek Admin Team’s advice.
MOTION: Kathy The change to SPF is reverted so we go back to the state we were at previously
Seconded: Cherie.
Carried.
ACTION: Kathy to liaise with Admin Team.
UPDATE: Kathy emailed Admin Team 15th March for advice, awaiting advice
Emailed admin team.

Insurance Policy:
Is our coverage adequate?
Is there any extensions we need to
ACTION: Kathy to make the call to pay the insurance like for like.

New Other Business

7. Other business carried from previous Council
Meetup payments for LCA, Humbug, LibrePlanet.
Clinton Roy has been funding the account.
We are currently paying for the SLUG meetup.
Deferred until current meetup account is evaluated and if it can use the LA account or if we have to create a new account.
LCA is now under the Linux Australia account
ACTION: Josh H to find out how to consume the other Meetup events: Humbug, LibrePlanet.
Humbug meetup has a subscription for the next 6 months.
James: to chase up with Clinton re LibrePlanet.
UPDATE: In Progress

Request from LUKE JOHN to Officially oppose the TPP
Confirmed. Hugh to put the wording around to a thank you and announcement.
Motion by Kathy Reid Thanks goes to Josh Stewart for his help with putting together the TPP submission.
Seconded Hugh Blemings

2100AEDST close.

Linux Australia News: Council Minutes Tuesday 12th April 2016

Mon, 2016-06-13 13:01
Tue, 2016-04-12 19:37 - 20:24

1. Meeting overview and key information
Present
Kathy, Sae Ra, Katie, Tony, Hugh

Apologies:
Cherie, Craige,

Meeting opened by Hugh at 1937hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 29 March are correct
Moved: Hugh
Seconded: Kathy
Carried 1 abstention

2. Log of correspondence
Motions moved on list
1 Motion
MOTION by Kathy Reid that the proposed GovHack Subcommittee policy be approved as the basis on which a GovHack Subcommittee can be formed, replacing in this instance the existing Subcommittee Policy due to the special requirements of the GovHack Subcommittee
SECONDED by Sae Ra Germaine
Carried

General correspondence

Insurance
Certificate of currancy

GovHack
Motion has been moved, to accept the subcommittee policy
GovHack Subcommittee to get to the LA Council the Budget
ACTION: Tony
ACTION: Kathy - Email govhack to get the projected numbers/actuals from 2016 and outline the proposed plan
Late tomorrow/midday thursday, council motion published on list that accepts budget and go.
Access to Xero can be granted tomorrow morning, invoices can be generated and then sent out once the budget has been approved.
MOTION BY HUGH BLEMINGS to form the GovHack Subcommittee including the GovHack Global Operations team with Sae Ra Germaine and Tony Breeds as standing council members until community members can be found.
Seconded: SAE RA GERMAINE
Passed.

From Previous Meetings:
VPAC Closure
MemberDB is not hard to move. Most of linux.org.au. There’s a few LUG things/DNS stuff.
ACTION: Josh H to ping Steve
MemberDB is moved to a new host
Needs a quick code audit
Double check results of previous elections all match old host
Josh H to follow up with Steve any further work
ACTION: Sae Ra to ping steve.
Update:
Work in progress.

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Request from infrastructure subcommittee for assistance around previous LCA websites.
ACTION: Sae Ra to work with Steve W around this
In Progress
Sae Ra to drop a line to Steve

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.
ACTION: Needs analysis of website feature requirements. Should we make things simpler?
Understanding the User Needs of the website
ACTION: Kathy to approach the Membership team Subcommittee.
Draft a survey to better understand the usage of the public facing website. The membership team is in progress.
ACTION Kathy to communicate with the Linux Aus List.
Survey has been sent out to the Linux Aus list.
Need to compile a summary of answers from the survey.

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.
High Priority. Tony to update Action Register
UPDATE: still blocked by getting access to the NZ accounts.

Admin Team draft budget from STEVEN WALSH
UPDATE: Awaiting for a more firm budget
UPDATE: Still awaiting
UPDATE: Steve is on holidays and it will be followed up later.
UPDATE: Tony to follow up.
In Progress.
ACTION: Sae Ra to ask Steve

Please refer to Action Items list for more items.

ACTION: Kathy to create a Events checklist.

4. Items for discussion

Kathy to follow up with Chris Skene and possibly connect with Donna Benjamin.
implementing a measure to make sure we have oversight over the committees.
ACTION: Kathy to contact
Eventbrite payment has been chased. And post event report is sought.
1 more transaction needs to be reviewed and finalised. Waiting on the post event report.

Face to face timing and preparation - we should get the ball rolling on this.
Meeting in Melbourne.
ACTION Katie to Setup a doodle poll for an appropriate weekend for face-to-face
7th/8th May
ACTION: Kathy to invite Josh H to Face to Face.
UPDATE: Josh H has confirmed availability for F2F, he is happy to arrive the Friday night and participate for the full weekend. He is awaiting location / accommodation details.
Key items for preparation is accommodation and travel.
ACTION: Tony for travel
ACTION: Kathy for accommodation

Our insurance coverage ends on 19th April 2016, we might want to discuss renewal and coverage as we only have about a month to renew
As above

GovHack in general - ie recapping Council on the Friday night discussion
As above
Membership committee next actions - recapping Council on the Thursday night discussion
As above

Informal request to Hugh from Ben Dechrai BuzzConf https://buzzconf.io/sponsor-buzzconf-2016/ asking if LA would consider sponsoring. Have said would float informally with Council in first instance.
Very much in the Linux Australia.
Excellent atmosphere.
It is not an open source event. Semi-corporate presenters.
There are no issues with the integrity or running of the event just not sure that LA should be sponsoring the event because it's not open source focussed.
IF buzzconf was to subscribe to the more open source of the way of things. It is more of a case of needing corporate sponsorship.
It is worth exploring further
Logo/visibility and what options are available etc. It would be worthwhile looking at numbers on what things we could provide.
ACTION: Hugh to have a chat with Ben
UPDATE: In Progress.

Schwag options for Linux Australia to send out to events.

Event Updates:
LCA2016 update
Post event report was submitted.

LCA2017 update
Ghosts this weekend
Kathy to forward twitter details to Chris.

LCA2018 update
All good

PyConAU update
The word is getting out.
They were initially blocked for a period of time regarding CfP.

Drupal South 2016
Progressing ok, invoices have been generated. On track for their conference.

OSDConf 2015
Post Event report has been received and all books have been closed.
Kathy to draft ODSConf call for bids

GovHack
As Above

JoomlaDay
Nothing to report

DrupalGov
Finalising payment and seeking a final report.

WordCamp Sunshine Coast 2016
In progress.

WordCamp Sydney 2016
Starting to bring sponsorship in. Site structure has been sorted out. Will require a budget.
ACTION: Kathy to touch base with WordCamp Sydney to vote on the budget.

5. Items for noting
Nil

6. Other business
MemberDB

Carried Over from Previous Minutes
Linux Australia as charity funds funnel?
It’s been raised that it would be nice to have Linux Australia (or something else?) as a local, tax deductible vessel via which Australian could donate directly to, for example, the Software Freedom Conservancy.
ACTION: Kathy to reach out to Jon, and try to partner with EFA in regards to Tax Deductible donations. Kathy to respond to the digital rights campaign email.

FOSS As A Service - GNU Social - Moved to Action Items list

New Mailing List Policy - Moved to Action Items list

Proposed Code of Conduct Amendments, by Christopher Neugebauer
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/13 - “removes a "specific problem behaviour" that I believe was added to the code of conduct in jest several years ago, and has made it difficult to have meaningful discussions about the remainder of the provisions of the code of conduct.”
MOTION by Katie to accept the Pull request from Chris N.
Seconded: Craige
Carried with 2 abstentions.

7. Other business carried from previous Council
Request from LUKE JOHN to Officially oppose the TPP
Confirmed. Hugh to put the wording around to a thank you and announcement.
Motion by Kathy Reid Thanks goes to Josh Stewart for his help with putting together the TPP submission.
Seconded Hugh Blemings

8. In Camera
Nil items were discussed in camera

2024hrs close.

Francois Marier: Cleaning up obsolete config files on Debian and Ubuntu

Sun, 2016-06-12 07:42

As part of regular operating system hygiene, I run a cron job which updates package metadata and looks for obsolete packages and configuration files.

While there is already some easily available information on how to purge unneeded or obsolete packages and how to clean up config files properly in maintainer scripts, the guidance on how to delete obsolete config files is not easy to find and somewhat incomplete.

These are the obsolete conffiles I started with:

$ dpkg-query -W -f='${Conffiles}\n' | grep 'obsolete$' /etc/apparmor.d/abstractions/evince ae2a1e8cf5a7577239e89435a6ceb469 obsolete /etc/apparmor.d/tunables/ntpd 5519e4c01535818cb26f2ef9e527f191 obsolete /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.evince 08a12a7e468e1a70a86555e0070a7167 obsolete /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.ntpd a00aa055d1a5feff414bacc89b8c9f6e obsolete /etc/bash_completion.d/initramfs-tools 7eeb7184772f3658e7cf446945c096b1 obsolete /etc/bash_completion.d/insserv 32975fe14795d6fce1408d5fd22747fd obsolete /etc/dbus-1/system.d/com.redhat.NewPrinterNotification.conf 8df3896101328880517f530c11fff877 obsolete /etc/dbus-1/system.d/com.redhat.PrinterDriversInstaller.conf d81013f5bfeece9858706aed938e16bb obsolete

To get rid of the /etc/bash_completion.d/ files, I first determined what packages they were registered to:

$ dpkg -S /etc/bash_completion.d/initramfs-tools initramfs-tools: /etc/bash_completion.d/initramfs-tools $ dpkg -S /etc/bash_completion.d/insserv initramfs-tools: /etc/bash_completion.d/insserv

and then followed Paul Wise's instructions:

$ rm /etc/bash_completion.d/initramfs-tools /etc/bash_completion.d/insserv $ apt install --reinstall initramfs-tools insserv

For some reason that didn't work for the /etc/dbus-1/system.d/ files and I had to purge and reinstall the relevant package:

$ dpkg -S /etc/dbus-1/system.d/com.redhat.NewPrinterNotification.conf system-config-printer-common: /etc/dbus-1/system.d/com.redhat.NewPrinterNotification.conf $ dpkg -S /etc/dbus-1/system.d/com.redhat.PrinterDriversInstaller.conf system-config-printer-common: /etc/dbus-1/system.d/com.redhat.PrinterDriversInstaller.conf $ apt purge system-config-printer-common $ apt install system-config-printer

The files in /etc/apparmor.d/ were even more complicated to deal with because purging the packages that they come from didn't help:

$ dpkg -S /etc/apparmor.d/abstractions/evince evince: /etc/apparmor.d/abstractions/evince $ apt purge evince $ dpkg-query -W -f='${Conffiles}\n' | grep 'obsolete$' /etc/apparmor.d/abstractions/evince ae2a1e8cf5a7577239e89435a6ceb469 obsolete /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.evince 08a12a7e468e1a70a86555e0070a7167 obsolete

I was however able to get rid of them by also purging the apparmor profile packages that are installed on my machine:

$ apt purge apparmor-profiles apparmor-profiles-extra evince ntp $ apt install apparmor-profiles apparmor-profiles-extra evince ntp

Not sure why I had to do this but I suspect that these files used to be shipped by one of the apparmor packages and then eventually migrated to the evince and ntp packages directly and dpkg got confused.

If you're in a similar circumstance, you want want to search for the file you're trying to get rid of on Google and then you might end up on http://apt-browse.org/ which could lead you to the old package that used to own this file.

Tridge on UAVs: APM:Plane 3.6.0 released

Sat, 2016-06-11 11:02

The ArduPilot development team is proud to announce the release of version 3.6.0 of APM:Plane. This is a major update so please read the notes carefully.

The biggest changes in this release are:

  • major update to PX4Firmware code
  • major update to QuadPlane code
  • addition of MAVLink2 support

Updated PX4Firmware

The updated PX4Firmware tree greatly improves support for the new Pixracer boards as well as improving scheduling performance and UAVCAN support. It also adds OneShot support for multirotor motors in QuadPlanes.

QuadPlane Updates

The QuadPlane changes are very extensive in this release. A lot of new features have been added, including:

  • improved automatic weathervaning
  • greatly improved support for mixed fixed wing and VTOL missions
  • automatic RTL with VTOL land
  • VTOL GUIDED mode support
  • greatly improved transition code
  • new tuning system for VTOL motors
  • extensive upgrade to logging system for much better flight analysis

 
The new QuadPlane features are documented at:

http://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/quadplane-support.html

Please read the documentation carefully if you are flying a QuadPlane!

Tiltrotors and Tiltwings

This release has initial support for a variety of tiltrotors and tiltwing configurations. So far testing of these types of aircraft has been limited to simulations and it should be considered very experimental.

MAVLink2 Support

The new MAVLink2 support will allow for greatly expanded MAVLink protocol features in the future, and includes support for signing of MAVLink connections for the first time, making them secure against malicious attacks. I will do a separate blog post on upgrading to MAVLink2 soon. MAVLink1 is still the default for this release, but you can enable MAVLink2 on a per port basis by setting SERIALn_PROTOCOL=2.

Credits

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this release. Tom and I have been delighted at the number and quality of contributions across the community, and to the extensive testing and flight logs that have been provided.

We would also like to give a special thanks to UAV Solutions for sponsoring the development of many of the new QuadPlane features in this release and Airphrame for development of the improvements to the landing code. We'd also like to thanks aAVIonix for providing hardware for testing of ADSB features.

Special thanks also for the great contributions by many long term contributors to the project. Major contributions to this release have been made by:

  • Peter Barker
  • Lucas De Marchi
  • Gustavo Jose de Sousa
  • Leonard Hall
  • Paul Riseborough
  • Francisco Ferreira
  • Michael du Breuil
  • Grant Morphett
  • Michael Oborne
  • The PX4 development team

among many others. Tom and I really appreciate the effort!

Some of you may also have noticed that Tom Pittenger from Airphrame is now co-lead with me on the fixed wing support for ArduPilot. Tom has been a major contributor for a long time and the dev team was delighted to appoint him as co-lead.

Other Changes
Detailed changes in this release include:

  • added motortest for all quad motors in sequence
  • merge upstream PX4Firmware changes
  • new AC_AttitudeControl library from copter for quadplane
  • modified default gains for quadplanes
  • new velocity controller for initial quadplane landing
  • smooth out final descent for VTOL landing
  • changed default loop rate for quadplanes to 300Hz
  • support up to 16 output channels (two via SBUS output only)
  • fixed bug with landing flare for high values of LAND_FLARE_SEC
  • improved crash detection logic
  • added in-flight transmitter tuning
  • fix handling of SET_HOME_POSITION
  • added Q_VFWD_GAIN for forward motor in VTOL modes
  • added Q_WVANE_GAIN for active weathervaning
  • log the number of lost log messages
  • move position update to 50hz loop rather then the 10hz
  • Suppress throttle when parachute release initiated, not after release.
  • support Y6 frame class in quadplane
  • log L1 xtrack error integrator and remove extra yaw logging
  • limit roll before calculating load factor
  • simplify landing flare logic
  • smooth-out the end of takeoff pitch by reducing takeoff pitch min via TKOFF_PLIM_SEC
  • added support for DO_VTOL_TRANSITION as a mission item
  • fixed is_flying() for VTOL flight
  • added Q_ENABLE=2 for starting AUTO in VTOL
  • reload airspeed after VTOL landing
  • lower default VTOL ANGLE_MAX to 30 degrees
  • Change mode to RTL on end of mission rather then staying in auto
  • implemented QRTL for quadplane RTL
  • added Q_RTL_MODE parameter for QRTL after RTL approach
  • reduced the rate of EKF and attitude logging to 25Hz
  • added CHUTE_DELAY_MS parameter
  • allow remapping of any input channel to any output channel
  • numerous waf build improvements
  • support fast timer capture for camera trigger feedback
  • numerous improvements for Pixracer support
  • added more general tiltrotor support to SITL
  • only save learned compass offsets when disarmed
  • support MISSION_ITEM_INT for more accurate waypoint positions
  • change parachute deployment altitude to above ground not home
  • added AP_Tuning system for QuadPlane tuning
  • added initial support for tiltrotors and tiltwings
  • added LOG_REPLAY and LOG_DISARMED parameters
  • added Q_GUIDED_MODE parameter
  • major update to QuadPlane documentation
  • added MAVLink2 support
  • fixed origin vs home altitude discrepancy
  • improved Lidar based landing glide slope
  • fixed throttle failsafe with THR_PASS_STAB=1
  • prevent EKF blocking during baro and airspeed cal
  • allow for ground testing of parachutes with CHUTE_MINALT=0
  • fixed elevator stick mixing for above 50% input
  • added QuadPlane ESC calibration

Happy flying!

Binh Nguyen: Is Capitalism Collapsing? Random Thoughts, and More

Fri, 2016-06-10 19:30
Sounds like a crazy question? Delve into the details and you'll see what the problems are though:- in a previous post we found out that in 14 countries across the world growth was stagnating. I wanted to look deeper into this. The trend is basically across the board all around the world. It's the same phenomemon over and over again across basically all countries with few exceptions (and even