Council Meeting 27 August 2013

Tue, 2013-08-27 19:27 - 20:45

Council Minutes Tuesday 27 August 2013

MINUTES Council Meeting

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata
2. Log any correspondence for discussion or receipt
3. Review state of action items from previous meetings
4. Discuss starred items
5. Note any unstarred items
6. Other business

Present: Mr Josh ‘El Presidente’ Hesketh, Mr Josh Stewart, Ms Bianca Gibson, Mr Hugh Blemings, Mr Clinton Roy, Ms Kathy Reid

Apologies: Mr Francois Marier

Quorum was achieved

Meeting opened 1947

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata

MOTION by Josh Hesketh that the minutes are correct, SECONDED by Bianca, carried unanimously

2. Log of correspondence

In the period since 15 August, 2 additional members have joined Linux Australia. Membership now stands at 2975 according to MemberDB.

Correspondence from MARY GARDINER regarding Rusty Wrench Award for 2014.
No further action required at this time.

* Request for interview on applicability of open source licenses from JAMES SCHEIBNER who is undertaking a research project at UTAS
Council discussed next actions and it was identified that no-one within Council has the legal expertise to answer questions in the given area. James has been referred to other members with more information.

Information from STEVE WALSH from Admin Team that disk space is running low
No further action required at this time.

* Grant application from ANDREW DONNELAN for CompCon 2013 for travel expenses for ELENA WILLIAMS. Information has been provided, awaiting Andrew sending the request to linux-aus list for community feedback.
Council noted strong endorsement from CHRIS NEUGEBAUER
ACTION: Josh Hesketh to discuss further with ANDREW DONNELAN

* Correspondence regarding KENNARDS STORAGE
ACTION: Bianca to help LUV get gear out so it can be distributed for SFD.

* Feedback from community (specifically NATHAN BAILEY and DANIEL JITNAH) regarding approach to Member Survey

Discussions held around what our next actions here, including whether it should be done within the community or whether it is something that we should outsource as a commercial engagement. Discussion held around intended audience - is it members or the wider community. Noted that last survey also went out people who weren’t members or who weren’t sure they were members, this was effective as an outreach action. Should we be looking at both internal perspective and an external perspective?

MOTION While it’s noted that we have great expertise in the community for running surveys, the Council feels that the independence and depth of analysis provided by an external organisation would provide significant value. MOTION is proposed by HUGH to go to market based on the assignment brief previously circulated to the community and competitive quotes sought to progress this action. It is noted that the assignment brief may require some amendment if we desire an external perspective.
SECONDED by Bianca, carried unanimously.

ACTION Kathy to investigate possible providers and report back to Council

* Correspondence with LINUX USERS VICTORIA (LEV LAFAYETTE) regarding motion to be tabled at their AGM on 3rd September to disincorporate and reform as an LA Subcommittee
LUV is discussing this internally, no actions required by Linux Australia at this time.

* Request from CLINTON ROY to form a subcommittee for Pycon AU 2014/2015
Noted that Clinton and his team have gone through a bid and selection process for Pycon AU 2015 with endorsement from the previous conference team.

MOTION by Joshua Hesketh that the application to form a Subcommittee for running Pycon AU 2014/15 with CLINTON ROY as Co-ordinator and RUSSELL STUART as Treasurer be accepted. SECONDED by Kathy, carried unanimously except for one abstention (CLINTON ROY)

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

(Refer Trello for action items and please update current status before meeting)

Enquiry from SASCHA GROß regarding UEFI secure boot
ACTION: Hugh to follow up with Sascha

ACTION: El Presidente to follow up with PAUL SZYNDLER of auDA to identify current progress and any actions required. LA has not yet paid them the agreed sponsorship amount of $2000.
Josh has sent a follow up email to Paul, awaiting feedback. No further action yet.

Terms and conditions and Code of Conduct - getting them on to GitHub
ACTION: El Presidente to put them on GitHub, and then to move a motion at next Council meeting to endorse them.
TO NOTE: Enquiry from MICHAEL CORDOVER clarifying if there will be a post to the linux-aus list when the ToC and CoC goes up on GitHub
UPDATE: These are now on GitHub

ACTION: Bianca to email linux-aus list seeking one-off articles for newsletter
Bianca has drafted an email,
ACTION: Council to amend email that she has drafted and send feedback to Bianca

ACTION: El Presidente to follow up calls for participation
This is mostly done except for the Webteam.

4. Items for discussion

LCA2014 update
Papers Ctte went well, outstanding program. Communication, promotion and registration will be the next priorities. Discussion around awarding bids more than a year in advance. Discussion around speakers and booking them in advance.

LCA2015 bid submission update
Josh Stewart and Josh Hesketh travelling to Geelong this weekend for site inspection
Auckland site inspection booked

Update on AUIGF (PAUL SZYNDLER) - is any further action required?
Waiting to hear back from Paul

Media subcommittee and Newsletter update

Drupal South
Issues with banking now resolved

Drupal Gov
Sold out at 150 people
Registered via EventBrite, we probably need to follow this up
ACTION: El Pres to contact LEANNE SHORB for post event wrap-up
http://lanyrd.com/2013/drupalgov/schedule/

Joomla Day Sydney
This is in October, sponsors and speakers in progress.
ACTION: El Pres to make contact to identify progress.

Follow ups to call for participation

Open Food Web
We haven’t heard from them for a while.
ACTION: Bianca to make contact to identify progress.

5. Items for noting

http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/ - 23 days to go until Software Freedom Day

6. Other business

7. Items discussed in camera

3 items were discussed in camera and are not made public due to privacy and confidentiality

Meeting closed 2045

Josh Stewart, Josh Hesketh and Kathy stayed on to discuss LCA2015 site visit