Council Meeting 15 August 2013

Thu, 2013-08-15 19:50 - 20:41

Council Minutes Thursday 15 August 2013

MINUTES Council Meeting

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata
2. Log any correspondence for discussion or receipt
3. Review state of action items from previous meetings
4. Discuss starred items
5. Note any unstarred items
6. Other business

Present: Mr Joshua ‘El Presidente’ Hesketh, Mr Hugh Blemings, Mr Clinton Roy, Mr Josh Stewart, Ms Bianca Gibson, Mr Francois Marier, Ms Kathy Reid

Quorum was achieved and the meeting

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata

MOVE that the minutes from 01 August are correct

MOVED by El Presidente SECONDED by Josh Stewart, carried unanimously

2. Log of correspondence

In the period since 18 July (the date at which a member count was taken), 9 additional members have joined Linux Australia. Membership now stands at 2973 according to MemberDB.

Enquiry regarding conference networking from PAUL GARDNER-STEPHEN. Steve Walsh’s details were provided.
No further action required at this time.

GovHack post event report received via post (via PIA WAUGH). Noted with thanks, event outcomes were fantastic.
No further action required at this time.

Enquiry from MATTHEW STURT from Gold Cost Convention Bureau regarding future linux.conf.au bid. Information provided regarding Gold Cost Linux User Groups.
No further action required at this time.

Notice from KENNARDS SELF STORAGE regarding payment for storage. Kathy has followed up requesting a three month extension to rental.
ACTION: Kathy to chase this up with Kennards Self Storage
ACTION: Bianca to see what’s in there if circumstances allow

Westpac banking correspondence for MICHAEL VAN DELFT. These have been forwarded to Michael and to Luke Woollard via Michael, and to Josh Hesketh.
No further action required at this time.

Westpac banking fee notifications for merchant accounts. They will be automatically debited.
No further action required at this time.

Enquiry from SASCHA GROß regarding UEFI secure boot
ACTION: Hugh to follow up with John Ferlito and identify next actions

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

(Refer Trello for action items and please update current status before meeting)

4. Items for discussion

Need to reschedule regular fortnightly Council meeting due to conflicting schedules
DISCUSSION around which days are good for people. Tuesdays appear to be a good night for everyone instead of Thursdays.
ACTION: Madame Secretary to move the meeting to Tuesdays instead of Thursdays, 1945hrs time slot remains in effect

Aus Government open document format
http://agimo.gov.au/2013/05/28/views-sought-on-annual-review-of-the-common-operating-environment-policy/
Submissions are now closed, can be revisited in the future

LCA2014 update
Registrations will open soon. Papers Ctte are meeting in the near future to finalise presentations.

LCA2015 bid submission update
Dates for site visits are being negotiated with the bidding cities. Clinton is in Auckland for OSDC, which may be an opportunity to meet with the Auckland bid team. It will be difficult to meet with the Auckland team before OSDC because they will be prepping for OSDC.

Update on AUIGF (PAUL SZYNDLER) - is any further action required?
ACTION: El Presidente to follow up with PAUL SZYNDLER of auDA to identify current progress and any actions required. LA has not yet paid them the agreed sponsorship amount of $2000.

Terms and conditions and Code of Conduct - getting them on to GitHub
ACTION: El Presidente to put them on GitHub, and then to move a motion at next Council meeting to endorse them.

OSDC working more closely with LA - feedback from BEN DECHRAI’s email to linux-aus list
The proposal has generally been favourable. Awaiting a formal motion from OSDC to become a subcommittee.
No further actions required at this time.

Member survey - assignment brief for outsourcing
Discussion around timing of the survey - in that it would be ideal for the survey results to be compiled before nominations for the 2014 Council are opened. The assignment brief is generally ready for opening up to the community and possible commercial providers. Discussion was held around the next steps to progress this. Discussion was held around possible friction in the community if we were to pay commercially for this engagement. Council discussed approaches to progress this.
ACTION: Kathy to take the scope of the survey to the community for feedback to get a feel for what the hot topics and useful questions would be.

CampJS Sponsorship and event options
CampJS has already occurred; Linux Australia support was not required at this time, but both parties are happy to work in partnership in the future.
No further actions required at this time.

Media subcommittee and Newsletter update
We still haven’t got a lot of support for the Media Subcommittee / Newsletter, many people are busy. Discussion around whether this could be an Internship opportunity, general consensus this would be difficult to manage and would be an administrative overhead. Bianca proposed seeking one-off articles from the community, collated by Council, rather than seeking a more onerous commitment.
ACTION: Bianca to email linux-aus list seeking one-off articles

Drupal South
Progressing well, last report was good. Donna Benjamin and Andrew Ruthven providing mentoring with many thanks.

Drupal Gov
Progressing well, last report was good

Joomla Day Sydney
ACTION: El Presidente to follow up

Follow ups to call for participation
Webteam is a high priority here, we did have one volunteer and we’ve lost contact with them.
ACTION: El Presidente to follow up

5. Items for noting

http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/ - 35 days to go until Software Freedom Day

6. Other business

2 items were discussed in camera and are not disclosed to protect confidentiality

Meeting closed 2041hrs