Council Meeting 20 June 2013

Thu, 2013-06-20 19:50 - 21:00

Council Minutes Thursday 20 June 2013

MINUTES Council Meeting

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata
2. Log any correspondence for discussion or receipt
3. Review state of action items from previous meetings
4. Discuss starred items
5. Note any unstarred items
6. Other business

Meeting opened 1950hrs. Quorum was achieved.

Present: Mr Joshua ‘El Presidente’ Hesketh, Mr Clinton Roy, Ms Kathy Reid, Mr Josh Stewart

Apologies: Mr Hugh Blemings, Ms Bianca Gibson, Mr Francois Marier

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata

MOVE that the minutes from 07 June are correct
MOTION by El Presidente that minutes of 07 June are correct, SECONDED by Josh Stewart, carried unanimously.

2. Log of correspondence

Membership - In the period since last meeting 07 June there have been 4 applications for membership of LA. These have all been approved. Membership stands at 2947 according to MemberDB.

Community feedback regarding support for EFA CITIZENS NOT SUSPECTS campaign from a large number of community members
Significant discussion on this topic around the range of feedback from the community. Responses ranged in terms of strength of support from

Comfortable supporting financially

Support for the campaign and desire for Linux Australia to be supportive

General caution with Linux Australia taking a political position

Some expression of desire for Linux Australia *to* take a political position

Council discussed the campaign in line with the values of Linux Australia, and what remit Linux Australia has in a civil liberties campaign.
DECISION: Council decided to wait for further opinions on this matter, given it is not time sensitive.

Follow up for CampJSII support from TIM OXLEY
General support for this
ACTION: Clinton Roy to follow up with TIM OXLEY to provide further information on what it would mean to run the event under the auspices of Linux Australia, options for sponsorship under the Grants programme.

DrupalGov sponsorship proposal from CHRIS SKENE
Francois has arranged bank account details, can now receive payment
No further action at this time

JoomlaDay Sydney update from TIM PLUMMER
Final touches on website
No further action at this time

Note from Francois to indicate BDALE GARBEE lost his home in Colorado fires suggesting we reach out and make contact. Also to note that CHRIS NEUGEBAUER raised the same issue with Council.
Council expressed sympathy for the Colorado fires situation, and in particular noted that thoughts were with Bdale Garbee, his family and neighbours affected by the fires. Council discussed a range of measures that could assist both Bdale and the wider community. Actions were decided upon but are held in camera as they require confidential follow up with Bdale.

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

(Refer Trello for action items and please update current status before meeting)

Mail is now redirected
ACTION Kathy to seek reimbursement from Francois

Call for newsletter items has gone out. Discussion around volunteers for Media and Comms subcommittee. General agreement we should forge ahead, and hope that others step up into the role.

4. Items for discussion

a. Aus Government open document format
http://agimo.gov.au/2013/05/28/views-sought-on-annual-review-of-the-common-operating-environment-policy/
ACTION: Josh Stewart has made a start on this one. Due end of month.

b. GovHack judging
No further action, many thanks to Clinton for all his efforts
Worthwhile event, good for us to be involved again

c. Responses to call for participation and followup required
Discussed

d. LCA2014 update

Call for Miniconfs is out

Cameron Tudball now working with conf team

Discussion of promotion of CfP by LA

Blog posts are good - and getting them on the Planet

Sending the CfP to technical circles and events
ACTION: everyone to help promote the LCA2014 CfP

e. LCA2015 bid process update

Going well

Gold Coast not in a position to bid

Awaiting response from Adelaide

Auckland progressing well

Geelong progressing well

Tasmania progressing well

f. Pycon AU update

Have sold more than 2012

All going according to plan

g. Shaun Nyquist travel request
Clinton has met with Shaun

MOTION by Clinton Roy that Linux Australia provide half of the money requested, being approximately $AUD1850 on the proviso that the rest of the funding is sourced elsewhere. SECONDED by Josh Stewart. Carried unanimously.

ACTION on Clinton to arrange invoicing with Shaun and Francois.

h. Media subcommittee and Newsletter update
Call for newsletter items has gone out, awaiting feedback

i. Drupal South
Making good progress

l. WordCamp Melb wrap up
Still awaiting Wrap up from Dee Teal - Kathy to ask for newsletter items and photos

5. Items for noting

http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/ - 121 days to go until Software Freedom Day

6. Other business

7. Items discussed IN CAMERA
Two items were discussed in camera and are not made public at this time.

Next meeting 4th July 1945hrs
Kathy travelling Josh Stewart will do minutes

Meeting closed 2100hrs