Council Meeting 14 March 2013

Thu, 2013-03-14 19:50 - 20:41

Council Minutes Thursday 14th March 2013

Meeting opened 1950hrs

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata
2. Log any correspondence for discussion or receipt
3. Review state of action items from previous meetings
4. Discuss starred items
5. Note any unstarred items
6. Other business

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata
MOVE that the minutes from Council Face to Face 2-3rd March are correct
MOVED by Joshua Hesketh, passed unanimously

2. Log of correspondence

LCA2012 - Regional Delegates’ Programme Report received from KYLIE WILLISON

Council noted the thoroughness of the report. Council noted that the name ‘Regional Delegates’ may not be the ideal name for this programme in the future. Discussion that the report would make an ideal press release, and would be a good task to work with the Media Subcommitee.
ACTION: Clinton to forward on to Brianna Laugher of the Media Subcommittee after seeking permission from the authors.

LCA2015 - Expression of interest from LCA Auckland from CHERIE ELLIS

Council noted with thanks the expression of interest. Noted that Council needs to put together a timeline for bids. Council were pleased with the high number of expressions of interest.

Membership - In the period since last meeting 3rd March, there have been three (3) applications for membership of LA. These have all been approved. Membership stands at 2906 according to MemberDB.

Noted

Request for grant information from KIRSTEN LARSEN from OPENFOODWEB

Noted, information on Grants Programme has been provided. Council is awaiting further information from the grant applicants in line with the Grants Policy.

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Clinton

Has started transcribing AGM video for minutes
Has not spoken with SHAUN NYKVIST re his Grant request
Brianna has been granted access to the Media Portal on the Wiki

Joshua Hesketh

Will follow up MemberDB in the next week or so
Spoke with OSDC

Josh Stewart

Budget for Sydney Joomla Day Team - budget template has been done but awaiting sending this to Sydney Joomla Day Team
Budget template is in a pretty good start and has been sent to Hobart bid team.

Bianca

Will take some of the generic action items

Kathy

Need to chase James Iseppi re memberDB and linux.conf.au signups
ACTION: Kathy to add the manual workaround to process documentation
ACTION: Send Kathy your postal address
ACTION: Kathy to set up list of journalist and media contacts

Discussion around how we handle Action Items for Council Meetings so that we can more easily move through the agenda. Trello is really good for doing this. Update action items into doing and done columns. Discussion around doing, done column. Archive at phone conference. Discussion around whether we just add new action items into Trello.
DECISION: We are all happy to do this

4. Items for discussion

Awards

Council noted that awards and recognition is something that is an opportunity for improvement within the community. Many people work very hard in the community without a lot of recognition. Noted that awards is a difficult area to get right and to be consistent. Different levels of achievement should come with different levels of recognition.
DECISION: We will recognise achievements in the newsletter via the Media and Communications Subcommittee

Newsletter

Media and Comms Subcommittee are pretty keen and eager.
ACTION: Clinton to email admin team to set up the mailing list

Member survey

General discussion that this would be very valuable. Noted that the real value in the questions is having them static over a few years to identify trends. Discussion around whether we need to offer an incentive for filling in the survey. Discussion around having a Golden Ticket prize - ie all LA conferences for a year. Preference to use an open source survey tool. Noted that we should consult community on what questions should be in here. Discussion on having survey tool available for all conferences run under LA auspices.
ACTION: Clinton to send email to linux-aus to identify possible questions.

Member services

Deferred

5. Items for noting

Ghosts in occurring in April, action list was reviewed
Discussion around LCA2014 budget and some amendments required
Joshua discussed further ties with OSDC. No actions arising.

6. Other business

Joshua Hesketh will be here for 28th March teleconf, but April is out, at least until mid-late April
Document Freedom Day - noted for 27th March
ACTION: Kathy to write supporting statement and post through to Clinton and Bianca
Newsletter
When should we aim to get one out - we don’t want to impose deadlines on the Media and Communications Subcommittee. Would like to get this moving though.

MEETING CLOSED 2041hrs
NEXT MEETING 1945hrs Thursday 28th March

7. Items discussed in camera

2 items were discussed in camera.