Council Meeting 12 May 2011

Thu, 2011-05-12 20:03 - 21:31
  • Present: Peter Lieverdink, Joshua Hesketh, Michael Carden, John Ferlito, Mary Gardiner
  • Apologies: Alice Boxhall, Kelly Yeoh

Agenda

  • LCA bid process
    Bids close in 3 days time. Write a council newsletter after the meeting.
  • Budget progress
    Rough budget is on the wiki. We will need to revisit if we change the financial year.
  • Drupal Down Under 2012
    Signed up platinum and silver sponsors.
  • Results of 2010 financial audit
    MOTION: that we accept the auditor's report with Michael's surname corrected.
    Move: John.
    Second: Josh.
    Carried unanimously.
    Auditor will provide us with a copy, which we need to lodge following the SGM.
  • Progress of policy discussion on linux-aus
    • Values statement feedback
      MOTION: Accept the values statement in its current form, on the proviso it is not set in stone and can change in the future.
      Move: Michael
      Second: John
      Carried unanimously.
    • Donations policy:
      We will start with Kathy Reid's draft and shortly post a revision to linux-aus for feedback
  • Compliance with Fair Trading documentation
    • Filing of previous years' financial statements (from 1 July 2003 to 31 December 2009)
      Mary has dug up the links to previous years, John and Mary have worked out the numbers.
      Thanks to Mark Tearle for providing data for the earlier years.
      However, we need to present *full* financial reports to Fair Trading and we don't have this for some years.
      Thanks to Mary for moving a mountain of work.
  • Appointing media team
    John will ask for volunteers in the council report.
  • Introducing voluntary paid membership
    The survey says that people want to financially support LA, but the linux-aus sentiment was that this should not be in the form of voluntary paid membership, but in donations.
    Council has decided that at this stage it makes more sense to go with a donations model.
  • Drafting of Constitutional amendments
    • Abolishing a membership fee?
      Membership is divided on this. Will re-word fee section in the amended new model constitution.
    • Amending current constitution rather than model constitution
      Council prefers the new constitution to be as close to the model as possible.
  • Organising an SGM: what venue and format for constitutional changes?
    21 days notice.
    Extremely provisionally, 17 June 2011, subject to availability, venue etc. Friday evening. (Notice must be issued by 27th May at latest.)
    Have a physical meeting, probably in Sydney.
    Broadcast the meeting if possible.
    Allow members to register proxies if they want to vote -> new email address so secretary can manage these.
    Ask people to register in advance to speak?
    Quorum is 5 members.
    Joshua to record treasurer's report, so it can be played at the SGM.
  • Grant request: sponsorship for PHPConAU
    John is waiting for a response from organisers on being a subcommittee instead.
  • Subcommittee request: WordCamp Gold Coast
    MOTION: That we accept the formation of a WordCamp Gold Coast sub-committee comprising Brent Shepherd, Dion Hulse, Bronson Quick, Lachlan MacPherson
    Move: John.
    Second: Mary.
    Carried unanimously.
    Ask them to add themselves to http://wiki.linux.org.au/Ctte/ListOfTeamsAndSubCommittees
  • Grant request: secondary DNS for LUV
    MOTION: That we provide secondary DNS for LUV, to be established and maintained as suits LUV and the admin team.
    Move: John.
    Second: Mary.
    Carried (Peter abstains)
    Amend the LUG offer so that any LUG that wants DNS secondary may have it.
  • Barcamp Geelong support.
    Contact organisers re a draft budget.
  • Wordcamp summary release
    Contact organisers and ask them to post their summary to linux-aus.