Are you looking for an environment that will cultivate your inner sysadmin guru?
If you are thrilled by the idea of:
* Wearing a suit and plaid tie to work.
* Following your name with an alphabet soup of vendor "certifications".
* Trying to navigate the minefield that is the cPanel/Plesk interface.
then perhaps this job ad is not for you...
Our system administrator garden contains a mix of system administration (the
BOFH variety), supporting our lovely customers (and the not so lovely ones),
and hacking on interesting infrastructure projects.
Anchor is a boutique Australian web hosting specialist and we are looking for
an enthusiastic and talented System Administrator to join our team of talented
systems gurus. Yes, we used the word talented twice.
The position is full-time at our Sydney office available for an immediate
start. A remote position may also be available for outstanding candidates.
In this role, whilst helping manage the hundreds of servers entrusted to our
care using a combination of open source and internal tools, you will have
the opportunity to learn system administration lore, play with and evaluate
the latest technology, institute real change, and overall improve your skills
Responsibilities and skills required for the role include:
* Excellent communication skills (Mentalic or equivalent).
* Empathy and love of our customers ("I fight for the users").
* Professional experience in System Administration or extensive hobbyist playtime.
* Knowledge of sysadmin practice.
* Excellent testing, troubleshooting, debugging, and analysis skills.
* Motivation to learn and improve everything around you.
* Obsessive-compulsive attention to detail.
* Intermediate/advanced GNU/Linux skills (Debian, CentOS, RHEL).
* Intermediate/advanced knowledge of IPv4 networking.
* Intermediate/advanced knowledge of common services including Apache, Nginx,
BIND, Postfix, MySQL, PostgreSQL, PHP, Tomcat, RoR.
* Experience and understanding of security practices and theory.
The following criteria are also desirable but not essential:
* Basic knowledge of IPv6 networking.
* Understanding of configuration management practices (Puppet in particular).
* Ruby/Python programming and their respective ecosystems.
* Obsessive-compulsive attention to detail. CDO level.
* Mild level admiration for Tom Limoncelli.
Tertiary level qualifications in Computer science or equivalent are highly
Anchor's Sydney CBD office is located within spitting distance of public
transport and many pubs, has their own fussball and billiard tables, and is a
very relaxed and friendly working environment. Anchor is an equal opportunity
If this sounds like something that would interest you, please send CVs and resumes in
plain text or PDF via email to email@example.com. No recruiters please. Anchor
does not accept agency resumes.